Charging at motorway service stations

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Following a great first long trip to Harrogate for the fully charged show I have found a few grippes about the state of our motorway service stations. It seems that below Leeds rapid chargers seem to not be present at some of our service stations. M1, Strensham Southbound, has no chargers as does Barton Park on the A1(M).

When I called at the Farmshop service station only 1 of 2 Gridserve chargers were working and that at a slow rate. Waiting for one to be released to upgrade the Grid apparently.

That is really unacceptable and can be blamed purely on bad management by the government. Apparently there is £90,000,000 that was set aside over 12months ago and has not been applied because of lack of interest. The government will fail to meet their own targets if they dont get moving. Contact your local MP and ask them when they will allow the money set asside To be used.

Last edited:
I've just done another run to Heathrow and back today along the M5 and M4. I never even considered using Motorway services after my previous experiences. I went straight to the Charge Yard micro hub at Slough to top back up to 83% on one of several units there, and then went on to Hounslow, picked up my son and drove all the way back. When I drive from Somerset up to the Midlands on the M5, I get off at Claines/Blackpole, Worcester and use chargers there. So much better experience than at the services.

I tend to plan around Instavolt and Ionity on the M4 airport run. Still have not rustled up the courage to use Gridserve with my TCLR. - scared of bricking.

It seems that things are a lot worse in the south of England than they are in the north, and in Scotland. This surprises me.

I went on a motorway trip from just south of Edinburgh to Halifax in Yorkshire and back to get experience with motorway charging, and wrote about it here. The trip was midweek and the stops were made at lunch-time or mid-afternoon.

To summarise.
  • First stop Southwaite, Gridserve chargers, nobody else there at all. Success, car up to over 90% while I had a quick coffee and bathroom break.
  • Drove into Killington Lake for a look. One Tesla charging on the Gridserve chargers, plenty space.
  • Return journey first stop Gretna. Six new Applegreen chargers (12 connectors) as well as the Gridserve ones that have been there longer. Free space on both sorts. (I had trouble with the Applegreen charger I tried, but was able to move straight to a Gridserve and get connected.)
  • Drove into Annandale Water for a look. One car charging on the Gridserve chargers, space available. Also a lot of building work in the car park next to these chargers, looks like more are being installed.
  • Drove into Abington for a look. Again Gridserve chargers right next to the food court, also in front of them eight new Applegreen chargers (16 connectors). Loads of free connectors.
So that's five motorway service stations in Scotland and the north of England, rapid chargers at all of them, and in every case I could drive straight up and get on one with no wait. It's not a lot of fun realising that these things are open to the elements and don't even seem to have light, but on the other hand that's the case most places, and at least they were all sited right next to a food court with a choice of snacks and meals available, and toilet facilities. You won't necessarily get that at off-motorway charging sites.

I wish the charging apps could generate a very simple list of chargers on each motorway rather needing to zoom into each service station and clicking to expand to see the details of charging facilities.
eg:
M1 North
Toddington xx chargers/speeds/ costs
Newport Pagnell xx chargers/speeds/ costs
Roadchef Northampton xx chargers/speeds/ costs
etc etc

I wish the charging apps could generate a very simple list of chargers on each motorway rather needing to zoom into each service station and clicking to expand to see the details of charging facilities.
eg:
M1 North
Toddington xx chargers/speeds/ costs
Newport Pagnell xx chargers/speeds/ costs
Roadchef Northampton xx chargers/speeds/ costs
etc etc
WattsUp. Put your destination in, click on overview and it shows every charger on route along with supplier and number of chargers and where it can, if they are in use or not.

I've charged twice on Gridserve chargers without anything awful happening. I've never heard of this concern.

The first one wouldn't let go of my car, but when I realised I'd been so slow (first time using one of these) that it thought I was a new customer about to start charging, I just showed it my card again and then aborted the charge, and it let me pull the connector out.

The second one broke down after charging my car to 67% (which was plenty to get home) but I got the car to let go of the charger by stopping the charge on the app, I think. Anyway, maybe the car bricked the charger, but certainly not the other way round! Also, I never got billed for that charge, so what's not to like?

I've just done another run to Heathrow and back today along the M5 and M4. I never even considered using Motorway services after my previous experiences. I went straight to the Charge Yard micro hub at Slough to top back up to 83% on one of several units there, and then went on to Hounslow, picked up my son and drove all the way back. When I drive from Somerset up to the Midlands on the M5, I get off at Claines/Blackpole, Worcester and use chargers there. So much better experience than at the services.
For the M4, the charge hub in Slough are great chargers, but a bit out of the way and no refreshments or toilets if the cafe is closed. These days I use Reading services as both E & W bound there are about 14 chargers or I use the 6 Ionity at Chipenham.

WattsUp. Put your destination in, click on overview and it shows every charger on route along with supplier and number of chargers and where it can, if they are in use or not.
WattsUp just crashes for me. Think I’ll make a simple list myself and print it out and keep in the car. This is because charging on the M1 is not good - too few charge points, too few fast chargers and too many customers. A paper list will be easier to handle than fiddling about with multiple apps (though a paper list won’t show which chargers are in use or out of action).

For the M4, the charge hub in Slough are great chargers, but a bit out of the way and no refreshments or toilets if the cafe is closed. These days I use Reading services as both E & W bound there are about 14 chargers or I use the 6 Ionity at Chipenham.
Wish I could afford the prices. RAW charging is over 20p/kWh cheaper than Gridserve and Ionity.

WattsUp just crashes for me. Think I’ll make a simple list myself and print it out and keep in the car. This is because charging on the M1 is not good - too few charge points, too few fast chargers and too many customers. A paper list will be easier to handle than fiddling about with multiple apps (though a paper list won’t show which chargers are in use or out of action).
Most of the good chargers are just off the motorways, it is a good idea to use these rather than restricting yourself to the motorway ones (usually cheaper with a better class of traveller :eek:). Have a look at electroverse app from octopus, I find it excellent to plan routes and you can usually use their card at the chargers.

I have a list of postcodes of my preferred chargers in the glovebox and in Notes on my phone. I then just have to type it into the sat-nav and away I go.

Some really usefull information here. However, to have EVs become mainstream Chargers must be at convenient locations and diversions off of a main route (motorways) are not an answer. A 2 mile round trip off of your route often at busy junctions is not an answer. Service stations are quick and easy to enter and exit by. They have all the facilities required while you stop and are useally well lit and covered. Since such a large sum of money has been reserved to upgrade the infrastructure to service stations so that suppliers of chargers can cheaply install their chargers makes very good sense. Suppliers are not allowed in install National Grid infrastructure. If a politician makes a promise clearly designed to resolve this issue and also has money allocated to do so why is it not being done?
The suppliers have formed a unified position to pressure the government which is very sensible. However, MPs dont tend to action their promises unless we the electorate take them to task.
When I suggested writing to your MP about this issue was a seriouse attempt to do so. Unfortunately, all the knowledge we have and the tricks we use to make our journeys work will never influence an MP. Get them to get their finger out and action what they have budgeted and promissed.

Rant over.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom