Charging Issues

Andy Dykes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have installed a BP Pulse charger which has stopped working. I think the rain got to it. Monday morning driving to work noticed the car hadn’t done its timed charge. (Don’t ask). Got home with just enough power left, noticed the Pulse power light not on. Went into house to find the circuit breakers had tripped. Reset them and the charger rebooted.

Connected car which proceeded to charge. About 30 minutes and a loud noise from the hall the circuit breakers tripped again and wouldn’t reset. Left it for an hour and all 3 circuit breakers reset but charger power light not coming on. One of the circuit breakers is showing both a red and green light - this right? Could anyone please check their circuit breaker box to confirm.

When did you get it installed?
If it was under the Grant then it should come with a three year warranty.

My BP Pulse decided last Sunday to fry itself and luckily the RCD's and other safety tripped the power without damage to car or cables. The box is out of warranty.

I have ordered a replacement wall charger and plan to mount it myself. The cable which ran from the waterproof junction box need replacing. What gauge cable is needed and where can I get the crimping pins from? Can't see the point of an electrician charging the earth for a 30-minute job. They will probably want to do a full installation which isn't needed.

Any advice on what’s the best home charging out there? Just got a new ZS EV LR - have plenty of EV chargers around me in petrol stations but for convenience need a home EV charger

There are plenty of good charges around one thing you should look at is which ones are compatible with your energy supplier some brands like ohme are compatible with the better discount charging providers it works with ovo and there 5p all day charging and octopus better rate tariffs the second thing to look at if you have solar or thinking of solar in the future as this limit the brands available

Thanks for info and yes that's what I meant
If the cable is not subjected to the elements of bad weather and is not likely to to get damaged or passes under ground, and the cable entry into the wall box is direct via rear, you could consider using 6.0mm flat twin and earth cable ?.
Clipped direct, or even run it through plastic conduit as an alternative ?.
Our wall box is only about 8 feet away from the CU and the 6.0mm flat twin & earth is clipped direct at a height of about 4 feet from the ground level.
My wall box has easy life from the elements, because it is mounted on the internal wall, close to the door of our internal garage.

Any advice on what’s the best home charging out there? Just got a new ZS EV LR - have plenty of EV chargers around me in petrol stations but for convenience need a home EV charger
I did have an Ohme Go but swapped it for a Zappi to get the most from my solar panels and house battery.

What is the best and safest way to join the cables in the junction box? The original installation had cables terminated with ferrules joined and crimped in bullet connectors. Do I use this method again or can I use block connectors with appropriate current rating?

If the cable is not subjected to the elements of bad weather and is not likely to to get damaged or passes under ground, and the cable entry into the wall box is direct via rear, you could consider using 6.0mm flat twin and earth cable ?.
Clipped direct, or even run it through plastic conduit as an alternative ?.
Our wall box is only about 8 feet away from the CU and the 6.0mm flat twin & earth is clipped direct at a height of about 4 feet from the ground level.
My wall box has easy life from the elements, because it is mounted on the internal wall, close to the door of our internal garage.
Unfortunately, the box and cable are outside

Something like ohme will come with a fly lead as its a sealed unit makes it fast and easy to install and save buying any extra cable

Hopefully the attached pictures show the bullet connectors. Not sure what size or where to get them so suggestions please. These were used in the junction box to connect to the charger.

The bottom picture shows the remains of were the mains leads connected to the charger. It broke when removing cables but shows the melting. Did seem loose.

bullet connectors.jpg
Junction box2.jpg
Inside charger.jpg

You didn't need to cut the cable you could have just undone the cable from the pod point and reused?

You can use this instead
Screenshot_20221127_142623.jpg

especially if you don't have the right crimping tool

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You didn't need to cut the cable you could have just undone the cable from the pod point and reused?

You can use this instead View attachment 13088

especially if you don't have the right crimping tool
Only rated to 20A a 7kW charger can draw 32A, the Erma crimp connectors are better but need to crimped correctly with an appropriate crimping tool.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom