charging point cards

Phil752

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Was at a Morrisons POD point station, but it wouldn't work with my phone app, rang them on the helpline, told the charging point was functional, was asked if I had a card, which I hadn't, then asked if I had any charging point card, I had a one for Shell, told me to hold it against the card point plate. promptly told he had activated it to a pod point one, it then worked a treat. Electronic magic or what: got to get a new Shell one now

Your shell one will still work with shell they probably just took the ID off the card and assigned the reference number to your pod point account.
I did it with my chargepoint card for genie and it still works fine with chargepoint as well

Chargepoint are a charging network.
I downloaded from the app from the app store when I got my first EV to allow me to charge on their network
I got an RFID card from them and mostly used it to use the instavolt chargers but found I could register any RFID card to use on Genie so used my chargepoint card rather than buying another RFID card.
There are plenty of others out there for different networks and apps to use even contactless.
I got this particular card as I thought I needed it but most networks use apps
It's the only RFID card I've got from any network I've used and if other networks allow you to register any RFID card as a way of starting a charge I'll register this one to save me building up a collection of different cards.
Hopefully more and more will go contactless as time moves on
Hope that helps 👍

Was at a Morrisons POD point station, but it wouldn't work with my phone app, rang them on the helpline, told the charging point was functional, was asked if I had a card, which I hadn't, then asked if I had any charging point card, I had a one for Shell, told me to hold it against the card point plate. promptly told he had activated it to a pod point one, it then worked a treat. Electronic magic or what: got to get a new Shell one now
Would be great if you could do this on other charge points so eventually you could use the one card for them all. :unsure:

Chargepoint are a charging network.
I downloaded from the app from the app store when I got my first EV to allow me to charge on their network
I got an RFID card from them and mostly used it to use the instavolt chargers but found I could register any RFID card to use on Genie so used my chargepoint card rather than buying another RFID card.
There are plenty of others out there for different networks and apps to use even contactless.
I got this particular card as I thought I needed it but most networks use apps
It's the only RFID card I've got from any network I've used and if other networks allow you to register any RFID card as a way of starting a charge I'll register this one to save me building up a collection of different cards.
Hopefully more and more will go contactless as time moves on
Hope that helps 👍
RFID? sorry 🤷‍♂️

On the registration point ,not only RFID, Engie actually registered my credit card to enable a charge , they did this on the phone whilst I was attempting to initiate a charge
And currently in West Yorkshire they are free vend

RFID? sorry 🤷‍♂️

Radio Frequency Identity - just think of contactless payment! You hold the card against the reader and you don't need to swipe it.

I have one for Chargeplace Scotland - I wonder if I could get this activated on the other networks? :unsure:

As Kithmo says, it would be brilliant if we could have once card for all EV chargers - regardless of what company owns/runs them.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Radio Frequency Identity - just think of contactless payment! You hold the card against the reader and you don't need to swipe it.

I have one for Chargeplace Scotland - I wonder if I could get this activated on the other networks? :unsure:

As Kithmo says, it would be brilliant if we could have once card for all EV chargers - regardless of what company owns/runs them.

Cheers

Bloggsy
I really know bugger all about EVs and all that goes along with it but I’m learning every day thanks to all of you thanks 🤩

Just ring from a charge point and ask if they can link it up , nowt to lose

Their is an option in their app to register any RFID card, but you need to do it at a charger (and use the app). This associates the card with your account and the payment method set up in the app.

There are some cards that work on multiple networks, some can be cheaper than using a debit card.
It may be at a charger you end up with a choice or more likely trying them in turn until one works.
I now have 5 cards in the car and a bunch of apps, so ready for most scenarios.
However I have used the BPPulse card and the podpoint app so far. I used the osprey app for the first time on Friday. Fortunately it worked because the machines were not working with RFID cards.

So would you say that I will be better getting these cards now and if so which ones and what apps? Again thanks for all the help

Never needed a card so far, all the charging points I've used are quite happy with contactless credit/debit card.
As a matter of interest whose chargers have you used that took your card contactless , and I assume you did not register with them , I will the attempt it on their chargers around our area as it will certainly be a preferred route dependent on their kw charging rate

Hi, not many, but here's my best memory
Osprey at Tessa Jowell Health Centre Denmark Hill, London
Swarco at Red Lion, Faversham, Kent
Ecotricity at Medway Services, Kent
ESB Energy Tulse Hill
char.gy Nunhead

Hi, not many, but here's my best memory
Osprey at Tessa Jowell Health Centre Denmark Hill, London
Swarco at Red Lion, Faversham, Kent
Ecotricity at Medway Services, Kent
ESB Energy Tulse Hill
char.gy Nunhead
Ecotricity is one I recognise up North so will bear that in mind , thanks for that

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom