Charging question type 2 vs ccs

Mysteronz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the noddy questions.

Got a fairly substantial journey planned to Devon with my family including a baby so need to get this one right as i’ll need to charge at-least once.

With the MG ZS EV I have usually used a Type 2 connection on the road. I have found these to be very slow - possibly wrongly I used Zap Map and they are typically 43kwh - that sounds fast but the speed of charge is much lower

following some research it looks like like on the mg zs ev can only charge at the following rate:

Charge Power6.6 kW AC

is this correct?

on the same website it suggests that on CCS can do the below:

Fastcharge Power (max)76 kW DC
Is this peoples experience? And do they typically come with a tethered cable?

if it can charge at those rates this would be a game changer for us presumably at 50kwh which is what the zap map says the car could charge empty to full in under an hour!

Yes, with a Type 2 connector the maximum the ZS EV will take is 6.6 kW even if the charge station can deliver more. With CCS (which do have tethered cable) it will take up to 76 kW but not for the whole charging time. Average seems to be 40-50 kW up to 80% charge.

Hello. The key here is AC or DC. DC rapid chargers will in theory charge to 76kwh, in practice depending on temperature about 50kwh. All AC chargers will only go to 6.6kwh limited by the MG onboard inverter capacity. I set my route planners to ignore AC chargers and search out DC rapids only 🙂

I've not made a long enough journey to use chargers other than my one at home. Is it possible to permanently set these filters in, say, Zap Map? Is that even a good idea? Thanks.

I've not made a long enough journey to use chargers other than my one at home. Is it possible to permanently set these filters in, say, Zap Map? Is that even a good idea? Thanks.

On Zap Map, if you plan a journey, you can go into the options and specifically include / exclude the chargers you want (it's a tick list and by default, all chargers are included so you just have you un-tick those you don't want).

Just remember to also set your EV with a real-life estimate of your range (I can't remember what it's set to by default, but I would lower it and then, you don't have to worry too much that you won't make the next charging stop! :rolleyes: ).

Cheers

Bloggsy

Sorry for the noddy questions.

Got a fairly substantial journey planned to Devon with my family including a baby so need to get this one right as i’ll need to charge at-least once.

With the MG ZS EV I have usually used a Type 2 connection on the road. I have found these to be very slow - possibly wrongly I used Zap Map and they are typically 43kwh - that sounds fast but the speed of charge is much lower

following some research it looks like like on the mg zs ev can only charge at the following rate:

Charge Power6.6 kW AC

is this correct?

on the same website it suggests that on CCS can do the below:

Fastcharge Power (max)76 kW DC
Is this peoples experience? And do they typically come with a tethered cable?

if it can charge at those rates this would be a game changer for us presumably at 50kwh which is what the zap map says the car could charge empty to full in under an hour!

If you haven't seen it already a quick guide just so that you are clear on these.

I would make sure you have a few options for charging, don't just rely on one charger at your range limit. For long journeys stop at the penultimate one and have, ideally, 2/3 within 10/20miles in case of them being busy or not working. And don't rely on Ecotricity chargers. They have got worse over the last year, and tend to not work. Hopefully ZapMap will tell you that before you arrive though.

My best experience recently was at Wincanton on the A303, where there were 5 CCS chargers from 3 separate providers within 2mins walk of each other. Made for a relaxing stop.

cheers
nick

If you're planning long journeys I'd definitely recommend A Better Route Planner over Zap Map.
Or Wattsup, a great app that shows you the chargers along the planned route and then updates as you travel

Or Wattsup, a great app that shows you the chargers along the planned route and then updates as you travel
Never heard of it before. Just had a look and it doesn't let you plan a route with more than one destination (or I can't work it properly). Usually I can make it there but not get home, so being able to add more than one destination is really important.

I still don't think you can beat using ABRP for the charging stops but then use Google maps for the actual journey. Can't be too long before EV charging is added to Google maps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom