• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging rate

Maulden9

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
i have the HS PHEV on order for delivery estimated in March and I am now looking to get a charge point installed at home. However, I am struggling to work out what the actual maximum charge rate of the vehicle is. I’ve seen quite a few posts on here stating that it is only 3.7kW, but the MG website and brochure says “estimated charging time (7kW fast charger) to 100% - 3 hours”.

Has there been a recent upgrade to the onboard charger?

Max on board charge 3.7KW can’t take any more than this from a 7kw wall supply. That seem to take 4 hours I been told from empty. I have set up a station with my granny charger and use that as most of the time am charging from half empty.
You can look for a 3.7Kw wall supply or fit a 7Kw just in case in a few years time you step up to full EV

Short answer is that it will only charge at 3.7kw, although by getting a 7kw charger you are future proofing yourself. The long answer is I have done a full review of the PHEV and covered most things about charging in my video

Short answer is that it will only charge at 3.7kw, although by getting a 7kw charger you are future proofing yourself. The long answer is I have done a full review of the PHEV and covered most things about charging in my video

I watched your video before I ordered the car and thought it was excellent - far more informative to see a detailed owner's review than someone reviewing a press car having driven it for a couple of hours. Also, I hadn't heard about the Affinity Programme until I saw the video so I managed to get a substantial discount on the car thanks to you. You are a star!

I watched your video before I ordered the car and thought it was excellent - far more informative to see a detailed owner's review than someone reviewing a press car having driven it for a couple of hours. Also, I hadn't heard about the Affinity Programme until I saw the video so I managed to get a substantial discount on the car thanks to you. You are a star!
Glad you liked it and found it useful. I only came across the affinity discount by chance and thought I share as its quite a considerable saving. Every little helps! If you know anyone else that would be interested please share, like and subscribe. Many thanks!

Don't get this. The vehicle has a 14.9kWh nominal battery, and quotes a 7KW charger figure of 3 hours:
1638902627871.png

15 (battery capacity) /3 (charging time )is 5kW Quoted charge rate assuming a linear charge rate (which we know no battery does), yet everyone on here seems to think it has a 3.7.

Pod point says it has a 6.6KW charger??
1638902874309.png

15/3.7 is 4 hours. Unless MG is straight up lying about the charging time, something doesn't add up here. Asked my dealer this on order and she had no idea for the PHEV. Might give them an email to get a solid answer.

Don't get this. The vehicle has a 14.9kWh nominal battery, and quotes a 7KW charger figure of 3 hours:
View attachment 5888
15 (battery capacity) /3 (charging time )is 5kW Quoted charge rate assuming a linear charge rate (which we know no battery does), yet everyone on here seems to think it has a 3.7.

View attachment 5889

15/3.7 is 4 hours. Unless MG is straight up lying about the charging time, something doesn't add up here. Asked my dealer this on order and she had no idea for the PHEV. Might give them an email to get a solid answer.
It's not an exact science I guess. Supposedly temperature affects charging time. Also even when the battery shows 0% there is still charge you can use. As a result you probably don't get full use of the whole battery, the car may keep some reserves.

One thing I am absolutely certain about is, 0-100% charge at home from my 7kw podpoint is at least 4 hours. I think it was 4hrs 15 min.

View attachment 5888

View attachment 5889

Hi
The battery is 16.6KWH

Attachments

• 4BB73524-6701-46E7-9D3B-08355DE1C0D6.png
    4BB73524-6701-46E7-9D3B-08355DE1C0D6.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 178
I remember a chat about this in the early days. I think it was Paul from Thailand ( and some others )who could monitor their usage when plugged in and confirmed the phev charging rate is 3.7 kwh. If you look on the web this seems a standard rate for phevs( well the ones I looked at).
Also even though the battery is 16.6 kwh I think it was shown that approx 13.5 kwh was usable .
So on a 7kwh ,( only charging at 3.7kwh max ..13.5/ 3.7=3.6hours..but assuming temperature and it may slow down the rate a little, kazuki 's just over 4 sounds a good figure to work to. Using the granny charger, if you go for approx 5 hours 30 mins that's a good figure to work to in my opinion.

They put Estimated time not saying it is 3 Hrs, I have got to say that in my holidays when the petrol problem I drove 29 miles on battery then stopped in a Tesco where could charge my car but could only stay for 2 hours in that time the car got back up to 22miles so in one more hour it could have full which would have been 3hours

Yeah I would have to say MG quoting stats are not perfect. Not the 7kw and not 3 hours either. But if its any consolation, the official quoted range is 32 miles but Im sure I get closer to 40 miles range normally

It’s clear from the responses here that the max charge rate for cars currently on the road is 3.7kW, but what I am trying to establish is whether the onboard charger for newly supplied cars might have been upgraded in view of MG’s charging speed claims shown on their website and brochure (claims which I don’t recall seeing when I was researching the car before ordering).

I‘ve sent an email to MG today asking them to clarify and if I get a response I’ll post it here.

It’s clear from the responses here that the max charge rate for cars currently on the road is 3.7kW, but what I am trying to establish is whether the onboard charger for newly supplied cars might have been upgraded in view of MG’s charging speed claims shown on their website and brochure (claims which I don’t recall seeing when I was researching the car before ordering).
But the claims has always been the same since the car was released.

MG’s response to my query:

”Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!

With regards to your enquiry, you can charge at a maximum of 7kw, which would take an average of 3 hours. The vehicle is supplied with a 3-pin plug that takes 2.3kw. The Type 2 cable will need to be purchased separately. On this link, you can view the Type 2 cable. You can refer to page 172, on the owner's manual book, for more information about charging.”

I’m no wiser than before.

Good luck and you will find out when its delivered in March.
But if i was you, i would now assume its 3.6 ( like the rest of us ), but if it has been upgraded to 7kwh , then you can come back on here and gloat and make us all jealous ... lol.

View attachment 5888

View attachment 5889

Hmm.. :unsure: I actually wrote to pod point (email) to get them to correct this info some months ago as I too found it confusing when my car would only charge at 3.6kwhrs... Glad they took notice then...:sneaky:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom