• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging slow down

Shippo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, has anyone else noticed a drop in kw, from home charging my zs always put 7.2 kw in, in an hour, lately it has dropped to 6.3.

On the gen 1 (and I think the gen 2 is the same) the onboard AC charger is only 6.6kW anyway.
Could it be something else in the house has been switched off ?

On the gen 1 (and I think the gen 2 is the same) the onboard AC charger is only 6.6kW anyway.
Could it be something else in the house has been switched off ?
Hi, thanks for your reply, no, everything is the same, car is almost 2 years old, 30000 miles and only in the last 2 weeks have I noticed the reduced charge...

Sounds like you have suffered a drop in voltage locally, possibly from it being unusually high previously. Do you know what your current voltage is?

Sounds like you have suffered a drop in voltage locally, possibly from it being unusually high previously. Do you know what your current voltage is?
Do you mean the voltage when the battery is fully charged,?

Do you mean the voltage when the battery is fully charged,?
They're talking about your supply electricity to your house; it's quite common for it to fluctuate depending on demand in your local area

Last edited by a moderator:
UK supply is 230 volts -6%, +10% so if it's in that range, it's considered normal.

not quite sure how the chargers work but generally the voltage of your supply will affect the amount of electric is required (and cost) to give you 7.2kw, the load is not altered by the voltage (maybe different for the charger). So 7.2kw at 240v you would need a current of 31.3 amps, 7.2kw at 240v would only be using 30 amps. 6.3kw at 230v is only pulling 27.4 amps .

Yep lower the volts higher the amperage for same kW so charger will ramp down the kw

Maybe this is why the charging slowed down. Now completely dead.

Attachments

• 20220807_133346.jpg
    20220807_133346.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 115
Maybe this is why the charging slowed down.
Indeed. It looks like at least one of the connections was loose, became high resistance, and dropped the voltage that the on-board charger saw. Hence the drop in charge power.

So a proportion of the charge power was dropped across the resistance of that bad connection. It doesn't take a large fraction of 7 kW to start getting toasty.

Who fitted the Type 2 cable?
I would think that the type 2 cable would be attached at the factory.

@Shippo: What brand of EVSE ("charger") is this? I see the word "SPARKY" on the PCB, but the only one I can find with that name looks like a Tesla destination charger.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom