• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging stations

farmer boy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have home charger for my MG zs long-range trouphy connect , the other day was away and wanted a top up charge but the machine would not charge to more than 80% is this standard?
If so not good when on a holiday.

Fairly normal behaviour on a rapid charger. The BMS throttles back the charge rate at 80% to protect the battery from premature degredation. Most long trips are 20% to 80% and move on as this gives the most efficient use of the charging curve.

I have home charger for my MG zs long-range trouphy connect , the other day was away and wanted a top up charge but the machine would not charge to more than 80% is this standard?
If so not good when on a holiday.
Had you set the limit to 80% via the car or the app?

DC chargers won’t override the setting- once you get to whatever limit you’ve set, the car will send a signal to the charger to stop.

Fairly normal behaviour on a rapid charger. The BMS throttles back the charge rate at 80% to protect the battery from premature degredation. Most long trips are 20% to 80% and move on as this gives the most efficient use of the charging curve.
Thank you,
I find it annoying and inconvenient.
I don`t have to charge my phone up to only 80%.

Thank you,
Its YOUR car settings that stop the car at 80%, you can change this to 100% if you want, but I would advise reading the many posts on the subject first (you can use the site search function e.g. Battery equalisation on ZSEV Trophy LR).
Basically,
Set to 80% for normal everday use (fast and rapid chargers)
Do a 100% if going on long journey (fast charger) its not good to leave battery at 100% for a long time
Do 100% if you want to balance battery (if you use a lot of rapid chargers)
Do to 80% if using rapid chargers as the charge rate slows right down at circa 80% and it will take ages to complete the other 20%, basically you will P**s other users waiting and hurt your battery.

Last edited:
Thank you,
But if you did, your phone would last longer before you needed to replace it because it didn't hold its charge. I have a battery alarm app on my phone set for 20% - 80%. Works a treat. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom