Charging whilst inside the car?

Big Al

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So when I'm at a public charging station, I notice other drivers (non MG) are happily sitting in their cars whilst they're charging. When I start a charge on the mg4, the doors lock and the charge starts. If I open the doors and get in the car the charge stops, and pressing start charge on the battery display infotainment screen doesn't start it again.

So am I missing something here?

Sounds like when I first got my ZS it had to be locked to charge.
Though it was later amended in the software to allow charge whilst unlocked
You can turn the battery off to charge from the screen in driver settings and safety section. Wait 10 seconds then start charging, car is still unlocked.

I need to find that setting (amongst finding normal radio / currently stuck on usb - was actually rather nice to drive with no sound / radio) as I find the same charging will only occur if you lock the car

So if I power the car down . Start charging then unlock the car,sit in the driver seat the car will power up. Do I have to power down again?
Sorry If I'm being thick. Just want to make sure I get it right.

It’s buggy. Locking with the remote and unlocking does seem to cause issues with type 2 7kw charging for me. Rapid charging seems to be ok.

Collecting the car tomorrow (blue SE SR), with a long drive from Preston back to Beds.

Planning a stop at Moto Rugby Gridserve 350kW. Most of what I've seen suggests the car needs to be locked to charge, though can you do this while still inside after connecting the charger?

I have a pretty comprehensive checklist picked up from the forums and YouTube, though if there are any other collection, first-drive or first-charge tips, feel free to leave them :) Seen a video about pre-heating the battery before rapid charge, so thinking to do that around 30 mins before the charge stop.

Collecting the car tomorrow (blue SE SR), with a long drive from Preston back to Beds.

Planning a stop at Moto Rugby Gridserve 350kW. Most of what I've seen suggests the car needs to be locked to charge, though can you do this while still inside after connecting the charger?

I have a pretty comprehensive checklist picked up from the forums and YouTube, though if there are any other collection, first-drive or first-charge tips, feel free to leave them :) Seen a video about pre-heating the battery before rapid charge, so thinking to do that around 30 mins before the charge stop.
You don't have to lock the car in order to charge it. You can turn the car off from the infotainment screen. It's in the car menu, safety tab. Shown in this video

When it's shut down you can charge the car. When you get back into the car, sitting in the driver's seat will power the car up but it should keep charging. That's how it works with our Trophy.

I've also found that I can the lock and unlock the car ok while it is charging as long as I am using CCS rapid charging. If I am using type 2 charging unlocking the car seems to stop the charging. I'm not sure if that's true for all cars.

Mine came with a granny cable, and that's the standard. (Early cars came with Type 2 cable because MG couldn't get enough parts to supply granny cables).

But it all depends on what you negotiate with your dealer. :)

Fantastic, thanks for that.

Do all MG4s come with a Type 2 cable? Seem to remember discussion of some people receiving granny cables instead.
Hi, you won't need a cable if you are on a DC rapid charger.
If you have been driving the car then you probably won't need to pre-heat plus it uses battery.

Mine came with a granny cable, and that's the standard. (Early cars came with Type 2 cable because MG couldn't get enough parts to supply granny cables).

But it all depends on what you negotiate with your dealer. :)
Hmm, granny cable will be no use. Thanks for heads-up, will give them a call today.

Not sure about others but I don't have to power down or lock my Trophy to start charging, it will begin as soon as it has finished handshaking with the charger, even with doors/boot open or me sitting in the drivers seat.
Oh, I'll have to try that! I've always powered down because I think I read about doing that somewhere so I've never tried without powering down when doing rapid charges!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back