Checking the State of charging on the MG4

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi again not seen this little trick mentioned
Before so just so you know, ours is the 4 SESR but I would think it’s the same for all models of the MG4.
So everything is powered down and car is charging, you are sat in the car and wondering what the level of charge is ok, so you just push the little light switch towards the Auto setting and release it will spring back and the screen in front of the Steering wheel will come to life and show you the state of charge

Lighting switch
IMG_5662.jpeg

IMG_5663.jpeg

the small toggle switch
IMG_5664.jpeg

Push that towards Auto and let go then the screen in fort of the steering wheel will come to life for about 30-45 seconds and you can then see the state of charge
IMG_5665.jpeg

Doing this avoids bringing the whole car to life which is what happens if you press the foot brake or lift you Bum off the seats.

This trick I know works while charging on A/C I have not tried it on a DC rapid but it may not, I say that because on my MG5s both of them when charging on A/C and the car is all shut down if you press the brake pedal the screen will light up but only the screen because the 5 has an on/ switch which the four does not without going into the safety menu.
Les

The on/"off" switch is the driver's seat pressure pad in the 4 ... so maybe pressing the brake pedal without sitting on the seat would do the same?

But ... good find Les. :)

The on/"off" switch is the driver's seat pressure pad in the 4 ... so maybe pressing the brake pedal without sitting on the seat would do the same?

But ... good find Les. :)
I've unlocked and sat in my Trophy while it's charging and the screen fires up. I haven't pressed the brake pedal when doing this so the car isn't in READY mode. I can then see the state of charge on the infotainement screen and go to all the charging controls without it stopping charging. It shows the charge rate and percentage. This is on Gridserve 350kW chargers.

Interestingly, when I do the same on a 22kW Chargeplace Scotland charger, the charger continues to say it's charging but the car actually pauses charging. I then use the central screen or the app to press 'start charging' and the charge resumes. Luckily the charge sees and bills this interrupted charge as a single charge as those chargers have a minimum cost of £1 per charge.

Not tried it anywhere else yet.

Hi again not seen this little trick mentioned
Before so just so you know, ours is the 4 SESR but I would think it’s the same for all models of the MG4.
So everything is powered down and car is charging, you are sat in the car and wondering what the level of charge is ok, so you just push the little light switch towards the Auto setting and release it will spring back and the screen in front of the Steering wheel will come to life and show you the state of charge

Lighting switch
View attachment 17963
View attachment 17964
the small toggle switch View attachment 17965
Push that towards Auto and let go then the screen in fort of the steering wheel will come to life for about 30-45 seconds and you can then see the state of charge
View attachment 17967
Doing this avoids bringing the whole car to life which is what happens if you press the foot brake or lift you Bum off the seats.

This trick I know works while charging on A/C I have not tried it on a DC rapid but it may not, I say that because on my MG5s both of them when charging on A/C and the car is all shut down if you press the brake pedal the screen will light up but only the screen because the 5 has an on/ switch which the four does not without going into the safety menu.
Les
You're a genius. It was bugging me too.

What puzzles me, and always has done, is why people sit in the car on an AC charger, surely you just plug in, lock it and go for a coffee or do some shopping etc.
No dig intended at anyone, just curious. 😉 :unsure:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 472 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel