• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

China/Taiwan crisis…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I, like many of us are still waiting for their ordered vehicles from MG, however, with the tensions now between China & Taiwan there is now a very real threat to peace in that area, which is surely going to have a knock-on effect. If it all kicks off between China & Taiwan, then there will surely be sanctions levied at China by western Governments, which will restrict the sale of goods from China. I am assuming this will mean the unfulfilled orders for goods will be cancelled/restricted? Is anyone else thinking the same & contemplating going elsewhere for their new EV? It is a very difficult decision to have to make… What are your thoughts?

I think you should choose carefully if you do, due to the fact China produces more than just MG brand.

1659785920503.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ady
Absolutely! I believe there are Cupra Born’s available… Obviously, it’s more expensive, but…

Last edited by a moderator:
Would China cut there own throat not to sale cars for UK?

I think China has been shocked by the sanctions on Russia so they have to risk their own Economy going further down the pan. The decision to go for zero tolerance covid lockdowns is another policy they have to come to terms with.
with no other manufacturer have reasonable delivery schedules I’m sticking with my Trophy LR Connect that is somewhere on the high seas dodging Somali pirates.

It's a very real issue that has the potential to affect both present and future owners.
Much depends on what, if anything, China actually does. When Putin invaded Ukraine he expected little if any world reaction, and may have acted differently if he knew what the actual response would be. China will be much more certain of world reaction should they decide to militarily intervene in Taiwan so hopefully, they will not go beyond sabre rattling.
I considered the political volatility of China when I made my MG5 purchase decision and came to the conclusion it was worth the risk because the car was so cheap. If it weren't for the big cost advantage I don't think I'd have bought a Chinese car.

China will be much more certain of world reaction should they decide to militarily intervene in Taiwan

Which "world" are you talking about? The USA, UK and Europe have one view, most of the rest of the world a very different one. The Civil War in China has never officially ended, but the Communist uprising has control of the main land and the former regime is restricted to the island referred to as Taiwan. In 1971 the UN influenced by the USA recognised the Communists as being China and transferred the seat in the UN to them. Few countries recognise Taiwan as a country in its own right, even Zelinsky in Ukraine prevaricates on the issue.

so hopefully, they will not go beyond sabre rattling

Absolutely. War's not the answer.

When Putin invaded Ukraine he expected little if any world reaction

Because that's what Biden indicated by saying that the USA and NATO would only get involved if he crossed the Polish border. And in 2014, when VP he was similarly muted about the annexation of Crimea and the ongoing fermentation of insurrections in Donbas and Luhansk. So whilst Putin is the aggressor he was not discouraged strongly enough. Xi likewise - the balance of power in that area is shifting.

I'm afraid I don't see this as especially 'intestesting', is the same parroting of views by Western media, ie: American releases then syndicated by Britain & Australia in particular. One other point is that Pelosi hardly went travelling as some kind of rogue element, for starters, her & Biden are 'besties' and all of that is clearly part of deliberate provocations from the US. Especilly worrying for those of us who actulally do live in the Asia-Pacific region (Australia).

In any case, if interested in this debate, may be well worth while speading one's research beyond only the American syndication in the West. The EU press for staters, but perhaps more revealing from at least 'another point of view', China itself, eg: Pelosi's provocative Taiwan visit lashed out by mainstream US media, intl politicians - Global Times

More directly (& seemingly unreported by The Observer et al.), the list of sobering new sanctions or 'countermeasures from China include China halts military, climate change talks, sanctions Pelosi in ‘unprecedented’ countermeasures, showcases ‘resolve in protecting core interest’ - Global Times

And the rest of the West, including the US and Australia? And I guess this is the unfortunate differnece between politicians and business people. Plus, Chinese skateboards, batteries and other tech and incorporated into the production of so many other car companies, eg Geely as 40% of Volvo.

And the rest of the West, including the US and Australia? And I guess this is the unfortunate differnece between politicians and business people. Plus, Chinese skateboards, batteries and other tech and incorporated into the production of so many other car companies, eg Geely as 40% of Volvo.
China is playing a long game. It's getting domination of the car market, like it has of mobile phones and most consumer electronics. At present it's in the technology transfer stage. Only once gained will it use them as a lever.

China is playing a long game. It's getting domination of the car market, like it has of mobile phones and most consumer electronics. At present it's in the technology transfer stage. Only once gained will it use them as a lever.
And getting Tesla into their country was a great coup on their part.

The problem with the west and China is that in general we do not understand ideology. You can't even compare Russia/Donbas/Crimea with China/Taiwan. Russia is having trouble with its conscripts even now, that will NOT happen with the Chinese Army

As has been said the Chinese Revolution has never ended as the UN tacitly accepted China's claim on Taiwan by not recognising the latter as an independent country whereas Ukraine with Crimea was fully recognised with the collapse of Soviet Russia. Prior to the formation of the USSR the short lived Ukrainian Peoples Republic did not include Crimea or the land now being fought over from Crimea to the the Donbas (Taurida) Only the bit around Odessa was the Ukrainian coast of the Black Sea (Much of what is now Belarus was Ukrainian)

As well as the UK, USA and EU other countries around China are concerned about Chinese expansionism. Japan has a long history with China and although recent joint statements appear to have resolved those issues I suspect China will not forget and cracks will appear when they think they can ride roughshod over Japan. South Korea know that all China has to do is give even more support to the North Koreans, point them south and light the fuse. There is no real logic that can be applied to the Chinese claim for the Spratly Islands and the UN has said so in no uncertain terms, that hasn't stopped China building airfields on them. This obviously concerns the Philippines considerably

Of course China thinks the West are stupid. We allow big business and money interfere with politics. In China if a businessman expresses an opinion against the Party line he very soon has no business.

Taiwan is just a little part of China, just like north ireland is a part of GB. China has most intelligence to solve this issue on peace, don't worry on it, and i think you can collect your car in several months. the lockdown this spring in Shanghai, impact the capacity of SAIC, but everything is ok now, even better than before. I llive in shanghai, so i know what had happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom