• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Cleaning the wheels…

Diggsy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
…just a thought - is there a need to remove the wheel covers every so often to clean the alloys beneath? Wondering if a brake dust build up would eat into the surface of them otherwise. Any thoughts on this?

I do mine every week . Covers off clean wheels and covers and they are always dirty . Mine are coming off in the next couple of weeks as im ordering some MAM B2 Matt black and bronze and keep the standard ones for winter. The alloys are just fuggly without covers.
Popping to see my dealer tomorrow just to confirm jacking points and where my puck will go.

…just a thought - is there a need to remove the wheel covers every so often to clean the alloys beneath? Wondering if a brake dust build up would eat into the surface of them otherwise. Any thoughts on this?
You don’t get a build up of brake dust on electric cars as the regenerative braking slows you down.
I have had my MG5 for 16 months now and the wheels stay immaculate.

You don’t get a build up of brake dust on electric cars as the regenerative braking slows you down.
I have had my MG5 for 16 months now and the wheels stay immaculate.

That’s just nonsense.
Sorry, but it is.
The MG4 doesn’t do true one pedal driving, you still need the friction brakes to stop completely.
And there’s no way 16 months of driving hasn’t accumulated any brake dust.

Come on….have you actually run your finger over the wheel?
No dust at all?

I do mine every week . Covers off clean wheels and covers and they are always dirty . Mine are coming off in the next couple of weeks as im ordering some MAM B2 Matt black and bronze and keep the standard ones for winter. The alloys are just fuggly without covers.
Popping to see my dealer tomorrow just to confirm jacking points and where my puck will go.
Thanks. Sounds like something that should be done then, at least every couple of weeks I would guess

Nice looking wheels, they'll transform the looks to actually look like a proper hot hatch. When you remove the originals could you please take a side on photo of the wheel bolts and possibly the inside of the wheel where it would sit on the hub/axel. I'm trying to find out if they have a taper or conical shape to the bolts and if there's a chamfer on the the hub centric part of the wheel so I can pre-order some wheel spacers. I know the pcd of the bolt holes is the same as mk6 golfs but when looking there are options with & without an inner chamfer machined into them.

What size are you going for? Can't wait to see how it looks

What’s the easiest, safest way to get the covers off? I’ve been a bit chicken and just getting what I can with the wheel brush 😬

Brute force ... pull at each clip point, going around the wheel to gradually remove it in stages. (i.e. don't fully disengage any clip until they're all partially out).
Cheers, think I’ll have to be brave and assume I’m not going to snap the clips.

Nice looking wheels, they'll transform the looks to actually look like a proper hot hatch. When you remove the originals could you please take a side on photo of the wheel bolts and possibly the inside of the wheel where it would sit on the hub/axel. I'm trying to find out if they have a taper or conical shape to the bolts and if there's a chamfer on the the hub centric part of the wheel so I can pre-order some wheel spacers. I know the pcd of the bolt holes is the same as mk6 golfs but when looking there are options with & without an inner chamfer machined into them.
Yep will do.It maybe a bit longer than expected as the prices keep going up with the tyres i want to fit. .

Thanks. I've always been a fan of the Michelin pilot sports, grip is great, the alloy protection rim is very thick along with the sidewalls so feels quite positive and not squishy when your throwing around the country roads. The pilot sport 4's wore out fairly fast but the upgraded 5 version I've fitted when my fronts wore out seem to be lasting much better

could i know which tpms sensor to buy ? Thank you. i am changing my MG Zs EV facelift 2022 model thank you

could i know which tpms sensor to buy ? Thank you. i am changing my MG Zs EV facelift 2022 model thank you
I guess the MG ZS is the same as the MG4. The tyre fitters should be able to supply them as each individual wheel will also need cloning from the old ones so the car knows which wheel is at what corner.

You will need something like the Autel valves which will have to be programmed. Its not so straight forward with MG especially the MG4 as it wasnt listed anywhere to do an ECU read via OBD.
I ended up just copying each valve value by scanning and transfering the value to the new valve.

You will need a tool to do the reading though which can get quite expensive. I was fortunate the company i bought my wheels and tyre pack from sent me the tool on a refundable deposit basis so it didnt cost me anything. The cheapest tool to allow you to do this would be the Autel pad but the proper reader is £180.

Also mark up which wheel is which when you take them off as they work independently for each sensor on each side front and back.

Also mark up which wheel is which when you take them off as they work independently for each sensor on each side front and back.
Interesting ... does that mean you can't "rotate" the wheels (front/back) as the TPMS will indicate low pressure from the wrong wheel?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back