Cold draughts

ippy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all,
I’m mostly impressed with the heating in the Trophy LR, it seems to heat up quite quickly. The temperature label is way off, but I can cope with that.
The heated seats and steering wheel are very effective.
What I do seem to have issues with is, everything seems lovely and toasty for about the first 30 minutes, but then, I get some really cold draughts from somewhere? I haven’t been able to find what’s causing the sudden change in temperature, but its really annoying.
Does anyone else have the same experiences, and does anyone know the cause.
I don’t make any adjustments, it just changes.

The joys of automatic climate control.
I've had this with previous cars, two Mk3 Ford Mondeos and three Toyota Priuses.
It seems as if when the climate control reaches the programmed temperature instead of reducing it gradually or just switching off the heat, it decides to cool it by venting directly from the outside, making it more noticeable when the outside ambient temperature is very cold.
Poor programming IMO.

The manual says that, “Selection of the ECO mode will impact situations that require maximum heating or cooling.” Could it be that which was the cause in the change of temperature?

I've noticed this already even though we have only just got it. It switches between boiling hot and cold. I'm hoping I can find a combination of settings that work.

I must have a really well-sorted car ... I'm not experiencing any of these issues that others have reported.

(Mine does have a small bulge to the undertray; I've not checked for an oil leak yet - but the multitude of "sins" others have reported I don't get; or at least they don't cause me any annoyance)

The manual says that, “Selection of the ECO mode will impact situations that require maximum heating or cooling.” Could it be that which was the cause in the change of temperature?
I’m off out later on an airport run, I’ll try it without ECO and see if it improves.

Auto off, eco off, set to 24-25c and one fan level.
Perfect.
Sometimes fan two level if the car is crowded.
I have mine set about same as that now. However I do find the footwells dont feel as warm as the center vents. I have Winscreen, Center and foot vents all on.

The joys of automatic climate control.
I've had this with previous cars, two Mk3 Ford Mondeos and three Toyota Priuses.
It seems as if when the climate control reaches the programmed temperature instead of reducing it gradually or just switching off the heat, it decides to cool it by venting directly from the outside, making it more noticeable when the outside ambient temperature is very cold.
Poor programming IMO.
DAF trucks one is the same even when the night heater is on.

I have mine set about same as that now. However I do find the footwells dont feel as warm as the center vents. I have Winscreen, Center and foot vents all on.

I find turing off the central vents (22 degs, with AC on), gives a much move even balance (but the heating/AC is a little clunky)

Hi all,
I’m mostly impressed with the heating in the Trophy LR, it seems to heat up quite quickly. The temperature label is way off, but I can cope with that.
The heated seats and steering wheel are very effective.
What I do seem to have issues with is, everything seems lovely and toasty for about the first 30 minutes, but then, I get some really cold draughts from somewhere? I haven’t been able to find what’s causing the sudden change in temperature, but its really annoying.
Does anyone else have the same experiences, and does anyone know the cause.
I don’t make any adjustments, it just changes.
Not sure if this is true or not. I have done this using the usual draught excluders you get at DIY shops. Will let you know if I come to any conclusions.

For me it doesn't seem to be that the air is leaking in, its that the heater turns off for a few minutes and blows cold air in before starting up again. What it should be doing is modulating the heater to maintain the temp instead of being all or nothing.

For me it doesn't seem to be that the air is leaking in, its that the heater turns off for a few minutes and blows cold air in before starting up again. What it should be doing is modulating the heater to maintain the temp instead of being all or nothing.
The ZS EV Gen 2 facelift now has a climate control system and it does the same thing, cabin is nice a toasty, then you get a brief blast of colder air, before the heat returns latter.
The Gen1 model had what is regarded as a more basic A/C manual system, but did not suffer in this regard.
Just a bit of temperature control knob fiddling to get the temp to suit your needs, but it held it !.
I have seen similar results with the climate control on VAG models.
A lot to be said for the old manual system !.

I never use auto as i find it goes mental randomly. I find AC on, tempt to about 22/23 degrees, blower set to 2/3. Seems to keep it consistant. I'm not sure why mine does this because I never put the car in eco mode, but sometimes i find the AC on eco mode and it doesnt perform very well on Eco.

I never use auto as i find it goes mental randomly. I find AC on, tempt to about 22/23 degrees, blower set to 2/3. Seems to keep it consistant. I'm not sure why mine does this because I never put the car in eco mode, but sometimes i find the AC on eco mode and it doesnt perform very well on Eco.

Guessing, as common sense doesn’t seem to apply to MG and I might be a mile out, but is your battery running low when it goes onto ECO?
Just wondering if it’s a battery saving measure in certain scenarios.
Equally, could just be another MG bug.

Guessing, as common sense doesn’t seem to apply to MG and I might be a mile out, but is your battery running low when it goes onto ECO?
Just wondering if it’s a battery saving measure in certain scenarios.
Equally, could just be another MG bug.
I really dont think so no.... my battery hardly ever goes below say 20/30%, i'm sure its just randomly happened

Does anyone get warm air in the footwell?? I have tried shutting off Center and Screen vents to push warm air into footwell (Set at 26 Deg) still cold air in footwell.
Do you think I have a fault with the warm air damper to footwells??
Any help appreciated. Either confirm they get warm air to footwells.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back