Cold weather range test completed today...on my driving it’s really very good.

Mark Holmes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Today I thought I’d try a cold weather range test from Essex to Berkshire and back, work trip, positive results are below and photo’s attached (Not in order) as evidence.
Fully charged by 7 KWh charger and potential range shown this morning was... 209 miles in ECO or 199 miles in Normal (No fans active) or 177 miles in ECO or 169 miles in Normal (Fans and heating on).

For the purpose of this test I drove with no fans (seat heaters on) and rear window slightly open to stop any window misting; temp was 9 degrees and in KER’s 1
Outwork trip left with 209 miles and completed 70.7 miles, averaged 4.5 miles per KWh and arrived with 129 miles remaining on the GOM. (Lost 9.3 miles from starting figure) this was a mixture of town driving and motorway at about 60 miles per hour.)

Return trip left with 129 miles and completed 72.1 miles, averaged 4 miles per KWh and arrived with 38 miles remaining on the GOM.
(Lost 18.9 miles from starting figure) again a mixture of town, but mainly motorway with speeds nearer to 65.)

So completed 70.7+ 72.1 = 142.8 plus 38 remaining miles and therefore a potential of 180.8 miles is not bad for this time of the year and shows that you can do much better if you can adjust your driving style.

Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• BC3E8EE1-D8AC-4B09-ADAE-DECC658EF8F6.jpeg
    BC3E8EE1-D8AC-4B09-ADAE-DECC658EF8F6.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 142
  • F3092F2D-1E49-4327-ACB8-872BDE579622.jpeg
    F3092F2D-1E49-4327-ACB8-872BDE579622.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 141
  • E7288765-9A03-4E41-8D83-C2EB1CE6E63F.jpeg
    E7288765-9A03-4E41-8D83-C2EB1CE6E63F.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 4CC4B865-375A-41D7-9775-F523F2D8000F.jpeg
    4CC4B865-375A-41D7-9775-F523F2D8000F.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 178E22C0-10DE-4EB5-A0F2-815384045200.jpeg
    178E22C0-10DE-4EB5-A0F2-815384045200.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 397FAEB4-EFCA-43BC-8B0D-BCC4034BB559.jpeg
    397FAEB4-EFCA-43BC-8B0D-BCC4034BB559.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 65230130-734C-475F-AF67-01D46CF40ADB.jpeg
    65230130-734C-475F-AF67-01D46CF40ADB.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 129
Interesting results. Have you ever reset the accumulated total driving info? I always reset it after every full charge so my GOM may not be that "accurate" like yours.

Last edited:
@Mark Holmes , they are brilliant figures for this time of year, I was just talking with my wife about a potential new trip we’re soon to make and wether we should take the MG or Prius. You may have resolved the debate.
Thanks for sharing this info with us today.

That’s amazing especially given the average speed and the achievement of 4.5 miles per KW!! Some questions:

1. Is the route relatively flat
2. Is this an early or more recent model
3. Obviously you’ve a cautious driving style, but was there anything you did to achieve the economy that the rest of us could copy

Last edited:
Interesting results. Have you ever reset the accumulated total driving info? I always reset it after every full charge so my GOM may not be that "accurate" like yours.
The only time mine was reset was following the comfort 2 update; I haven’t no.

That’s amazing especially given the average speed and the achievement of 4.5 miles per KW!! Three questions:

1. Is the route relatively flat
2. Is this an early or more recent model
3. Obviously you’ve a cautious driving style, but was there anything you did to achieve the economy that the rest of us could copy
No the route isn’t flat, but it wasn’t hilly either it was around the top of the M25 from Essex to Berkshire.
I purchased mine in March of this year and it’s had most of the updates.
It’s my driving style now after years of driving an XC90 and trying to get as much as I could out of it. I do not drive excessively fast between 60 and 65 if I can and sometimes that can go up or down subject to mood or road works. I accelerate steadily no sudden push trying to beat others around me, but I’m not the last away either, but I do try keep the Rev counter in the efficiency part of the dial.
I try not to use the heating unless it’s really cold as that does make a major difference, use the seat heating where possible, but other than that I drive smoothly without sudden movements. I did try level 1 brake regen today and I think that helped on the motorway as your not using so much power to regain speed after slowing.
I hope that helps.

They are brilliant figures. Presumably no headlights or wipers? Interesting though you 'lost' miles from the original GOM whereas I 'gain' miles from a starting point of 130+ when achieving 4+miles/kW. Never tried that distance in one hit but you have now inspired me to give it a go. Thanks Mark.

They are brilliant figures. Presumably no headlights or wipers? Interesting though you 'lost' miles from the original GOM whereas I 'gain' miles from a starting point of 130+ when achieving 4+miles/kW. Never tried that distance in one hit but you have now inspired me to give it a go. Thanks Mark.
No, I used by wipers and headlights first thing this morning for a while, to be honest I never normally try this as a I like to use free charge when I can, but after lots of concerns about the cold conditions I thought I’d give it a go...
If the temp drops to below 5 degrees I may try again for a comparison as I think the drop off will be a fair bit more, likewise locking forward to the summer again where I have reached 5 miles per KWh perviously, which I would like to try and beat...

Driving excessively carefully I can't get close to your figures. That's with KERS 3 all the time though, as I really like the one pedal style it gives. I can only conclude that this must be the reason for the difference. I'm going to try KERS 1 for a week and see how it differs!

Driving excessively carefully I can't get close to your figures. That's with KERS 3 all the time though, as I really like the one pedal style it gives. I can only conclude that this must be the reason for the difference. I'm going to try KERS 1 for a week and see how it differs!
Let us know how you get on, think KERs 3 for around town and either 1 or 2 on motorways and other main roads, might just need to play with it, but I know what you mean about level 3...

I read that even going down a very steep hill regen only ever adds 25% of the 100% energy expended to get you up to speed (my numbers may be a bit off, but it was around a quarter), so at constant high speed, coasting will cost you less additional energy to modulate your speed (also Marks point of not hammering the go peddle to get you up to speed is key) than being in a higher regen mode and having to make up for the >1/4 gain from spikes of regen. My rule of thumb is I drive in 3 unless I’m driving at a constant speed of >50mph, then flick it to Kers 1.

this is the article I was recalling Regenerative braking: how it works and is it worth it in small EVs? - Electrek

If you are in Kers 3, not lifting fully off the throttle can give you the same braking as 1 or 2.
1f you are using Kers 1, light footbrake can give you Kers 2 or 3 without the friction brakes coming on.
Watch the power meter.

If you are in Kers 3, not lifting fully off the throttle can give you the same braking as 1 or 2.
1f you are using Kers 1, light footbrake can give you Kers 2 or 3 without the friction brakes coming on.
Watch the power meter.
The way to test it is do the same journey in the same conditions where possible, but using the different settings to see how they compare.

I read that even going down a very steep hill regen only ever adds 25% of the 100% energy expended to get you up to speed (my numbers may be a bit off, but it was around a quarter), so at constant high speed, coasting will cost you less additional energy to modulate your speed (also Marks point of not hammering the go peddle to get you up to speed is key) than being in a higher regen mode and having to make up for the >1/4 gain from spikes of regen. My rule of thumb is I drive in 3 unless I’m driving at a constant speed of >50mph, then flick it to Kers 1.

this is the article I was recalling Regenerative braking: how it works and is it worth it in small EVs? - Electrek
There is a screen in the center display that shows the AMPS in -ve which gives you a good indicator how much charge the KERS is recovering and putting back into the battery pack.

There is a screen in the center display that shows the AMPS in -ve which gives you a good indicator how much charge the KERS is recovering and putting back into the battery pack.
Yes there is one that you can scroll on to..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom