• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Coldgate?

ClawzSkunk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been trying to record my rapid charging speeds since getting my new car a week or 2 ago. I do about 24k miles a year in my car so it's relatively important to me that I can charge quickly, but from all the working out I'm doing I'm driving the car down to 10% but never break 26kW on the rapid chargers...

I've tried IONITY, BT Polar, Electric Highway & Shell Recharge but it's always the same...

I know my old leaf suffered from "Rapidgate" and it looks like MG have done a really good job at keeping the battery cool on these cars, but have they done it at the detriment of charging in cold weather (Coldgate)? I'd love to know how many other people have been experiencing this to understand if it's me or if there is genuinely an issue with the rapid charging on my vehicle.

As a side note, I've taken my car into the dealer and they're being excellent with trying to get information from MG but I'm struggling to find anywhere that MG details how fast the car should charge? In some placed it mentions 20% to 80% in 40 minutes (which would require about 40kW rapid charging) and in others (such as the FAQ's) it says that empty to 80% should be 40 minutes on a standard 50kW charger..

I'm just very confused and what I thought would be a good budget car with a thermally managed battery (heat when cold and cooling when hot) is turning out to be much less so.

I don't really want to go with the Battery Heater option because I'm also hearing some horror stories about it significantly draining the battery and the UK notes from service centres advise against it, saying it's irreversable and could lower the value of the vehicle in the future...

Open to discussion and feedback here guys as if I can't break 30kW then it's likely this is not the car for me.

I don't know if I am doing right, but I mostly put the car on charge while it is still warm at the end of my journey. Same if I need a top up while on a longer run.

I don't know if I am doing right, but I mostly put the car on charge while it is still warm at the end of my journey. Same if I need a top up while on a longer run.
I generally exhaust the battery to 10% in a single trip and then try to rapid charge it to get to the second leg of the journey.

Originally I thought it would have warmed the battery up on the rapid charge and that would be maintained but it’s still slow charging at the next rapid.

I must admit that I have in the warmer months achieved plus on 50 KWh and the car can charge up to 80 KWh per hour; in the right circumstances, but I haven’t tried a rapid charge in the cold. Perhaps other member of the forum can help?

I got my car at the end of September and haven't been able to better more than 30kW/hr rate on Rapid or Ultra charge points. Quite disappointed but not too concerned at the moment as I'm only driving within 50 mile radius from home. When 'normality' returns I hope to resume long distance journeys and then a good rapid rate will be more important. I intend to see if things improve in the spring next year. If not then it could be bye bye MG. Pity as I really like the car but range/recharge will be important next year.

Managed to get 49.5 about 2 weeks ago at a rapid local to me.
I was starting to worry, before that I had only managed about 30 or so!

It can very from unit to unit as well as I had one unit with an output of about 35; wife wasn’t happy to wait so drove to another a few miles away and got just under 46 if I recall correctly..I may have a quick fast charge tomorrow if I get time to see what speeds I can pull..

It can very from unit to unit as well as I had one unit with an output of about 35; wife wasn’t happy to wait so drove to another a few miles away and got just under 46 if I recall correctly..I may have a quick fast charge tomorrow if I get time to see what speeds I can pull..

I have tested this with both an leaf and Zoe with me.. they were both pulling 40kW while mine was getting 21kW

don’t get me wrong I know chademo is different from ccs but from the same unit within 20 minutes of each other both the other cars were consistent whereas my mg limped along

I have tested this with both an leaf and Zoe with me.. they were both pulling 40kW while mine was getting 21kW

don’t get me wrong I know chademo is different from ccs but from the same unit within 20 minutes of each other both the other cars were consistent whereas my mg limped along
Likewise I used the same rapid units with my BMW i3 over the last 4 years and achieved much closer to 50kW even on cooler days.

I've noticed my usual 22 free miles per hour, I got in the summer, parked on the Tesco's 7 kWh charger, is giving me slightly less this cold weather. I think I only got about 18 miles the other day for one hour's parking.

I've only used a couple of local rapids (free dispense) and calculated from my receipt that I was getting about 22kWh. I was charging from a base of about 50%, but still thought it was a bit slow but for free who's complaining?
Question tho' how do I see the ongoing 'live' charge rate, I'm reading from this thread that you can somehow ?

I've only used a couple of local rapids (free dispense) and calculated from my receipt that I was getting about 22kWh. I was charging from a base of about 50%, but still thought it was a bit slow but for free who's complaining?
Question tho' how do I see the ongoing 'live' charge rate, I'm reading from this thread that you can somehow ?

Hey, you might when it finally switches over to charging for all. Some places charge by time instead of per kW so the longer it takes to charge the more it costs.

To find the charge rate you scroll downwards through the menus on your central binacle. It's the third or fourth down and gives the charge rate in Volts and Amps.

Charge rate = Volts x Amps x 0.001 = kW's

If you use Apple then you can download the "Amps to kW Calculator" app to do this for you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom