Common problems with the new ZS EV

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a ZS LR EV on order i am starting to read about common and recurring issues things like the heating system ticking any one had problems and what are they ?

I have a ZS LR EV on order i am starting to read about common and recurring issues things like the heating system ticking any one had problems and what are they ?
Here are some helpful tips I've found over the last week of ownership:

If the Sat Nav screen sticks on current position and will not track the car movement then its because you have Dead Reckoning switched on in the settings. Turn this off and it works fine.

If the DAB radio does not work (blank screen) when you first get the car then leave it ON for 10 to 15 min so that it can search and find all the stations available.

The App can be used from 2 phones, on the second phone just login using the exact same login and password details as the first phone (don't register a new account for the second phone) and it will work fine. If your having trouble binding then connect the phone to the car via USB lead the first time, then it will be ok afterwards. The app sometimes takes ages or several attempts to connect to the server, it does not communicate with the car directly. You obviously both cant login at the same time.

If the infotainment screen plays up then hold down the mechanical home button for 10 secs to reboot.

There is a very quiet ticking noise which comes from the heater control module. Its the PWM control signal for the heater switching rapidly On and Off, turn the heater down and it slows down or goes away when the temp is reached, turn the heater up and the ticking gets faster.

I am new to all these gadgets,can you tell me how to get the dead reckoning in the settings please,sat nav is frozen
From the Sat Nav map screen press the button with 3 dots.
Then press the button More Settings.
Then press Manage Features.
Slide the slider next to Dead Reckoning to turn it off.

I bought a fully equipped version last month,exactly the one I test drove one month earlier.
The car runs flawlessly and I am very happy.
Unfortunately the infotainment is a nightmare:
Android auto crashes frequently
SIM card cannot log on to Amazon music,live traffic,Wi-Fi hotspot but I receive the latest weather
the car starts giving me the range in miles and after a few kilometres it change into km(which is my preference,btw)
the number 8 is upside down:big belly on top
I cannot see a list of FM radio station or DAB stations,not to mention a list of preferred ones
and,last but not least,there’s a watermark on Android auto reading “pre production hardware,not for resale”.

I also tried a reboot as Vince31 suggested,with no luck.

Of course I opened a ticket with my dealer who promptly contacted MG Italy.They replied they are waiting for a major upgrade.
But,to me,this is not a software problem…

I haven't got my car yet, but I have noticed that practically everything MG prints has the upside-down 8.

BTW, does a hard copy manual come with the car?

No. The manual is downloadable as a pdf. I think there is another thread about getting it.
The manual is also in the infotainment system somewhere - I do not have a 2022 ZS EV at this time.

I haven't got my car yet, but I have noticed that practically everything MG prints has the upside-down 8.

BTW, does a hard copy manual come with the car?
No, last I checked there's no physical manual provided. You can download it via MG's website, view via the cars infotainment screen or the iSmart app.

The infotainment manual has been uploaded here:

Thank you all, I thought as much. I'm going to see if I can put it on my Kindle a then I can bookmark pages.
I use computers all day and every day at work, so e-brochures and e-manuals wind me up big time.
That's what printers are for :)

To be honest i usually print out pages with info i need, i am unable to make stuff i read in a PDF stick, in my head, as much as when i read it on an actual piece of paper :)

I know it's not good for the enviroment but i need it on paper to really understand it.

I have an assortment of small frustrations.

The speed limit sign recognition is woeful, it's also based on the front facing camera and not maps.
For national speed limit it presumes 60mph is the limit and will blink at you for driving at 70mph on the motorway.

The car reset some setting back to defaults when you turn on the car, fight as you may you eventually give up and just use the defaults. Driving Mode: Normal, Regen: 3. Speed limit is just a total faff to turn on every journey so gave up on that long ago, made worse by the limit recognition.

The car has to be turned on to see the state of charge. the main screen still shows but it's hard to see as there is an overlay telling you to turn on the car. You also cannot stop the charge/disconnect without turning on the car and using the main display, I wish there was a physical button to press either on the front or in the car.

The lane keep assist I have to turn off on long journeys as it stresses me out as it yanks me around when it considers i'm too close to the lines.

The lack of a light for the rear seats is frustrating when you have kids but there are aftermarket solutions.

The charging screen shows Amps and Volts but not Kilowatts which is bonkers.

The main display is too bright in the dark even when turned all the way down.

If the car is on while charging you have to turn it off and back on after the charging has finished in order to drive.

But overall it is rock solid. We took delivery in Dec and as a family of 5 + dog it has taken a lot of abuse. We recently took it on holiday and covered over 500 miles with only one small mishap (the car had a small fight with a Pod point rapid charger and wouldn't release the cable).

Completely agree with the above....have found all the same issues. These could all be sorted with OTA updates if the system works....we will have to wait and see!

I have 2022 Long Range model MG ZS EV. It is 2000 km now and the common problem is sunroof noise when it was tilted only. Also I cannot update the map. The map version is 2020 year on the car.

I have an assortment of small frustrations.

The speed limit sign recognition is woeful, it's also based on the front facing camera and not maps.
For national speed limit it presumes 60mph is the limit and will blink at you for driving at 70mph on the motorway.

The car reset some setting back to defaults when you turn on the car, fight as you may you eventually give up and just use the defaults. Driving Mode: Normal, Regen: 3. Speed limit is just a total faff to turn on every journey so gave up on that long ago, made worse by the limit recognition.

The car has to be turned on to see the state of charge. the main screen still shows but it's hard to see as there is an overlay telling you to turn on the car. You also cannot stop the charge/disconnect without turning on the car and using the main display, I wish there was a physical button to press either on the front or in the car.

The lane keep assist I have to turn off on long journeys as it stresses me out as it yanks me around when it considers i'm too close to the lines.

The lack of a light for the rear seats is frustrating when you have kids but there are aftermarket solutions.

The charging screen shows Amps and Volts but not Kilowatts which is bonkers.

The main display is too bright in the dark even when turned all the way down.

If the car is on while charging you have to turn it off and back on after the charging has finished in order to drive.

But overall it is rock solid. We took delivery in Dec and as a family of 5 + dog it has taken a lot of abuse. We recently took it on holiday and covered over 500 miles with only one small mishap (the car had a small fight with a Pod point rapid charger and wouldn't release the cable).
have you tried the darkmode setting for the infotainment screen, its all i use

Mines just the fact the car doesn’t work with fast chargers and has resulted in it being left for recovery and having no fix for it.

Can’t get why you offer fast chargers and can’t get something like this resolved. It doesn’t appear to be the charger that is the issue it’s what ever software is bricking the car in the checks that’s doing it

Needs to have a way to clear the fault codes on the system rather than a garage. Aa at a push but they don’t have the obdi codes for this so they are usless.

I found another thing that is a bit annoying.

In Denmark the law states that you must turn on your low beam and rear lamps if the visibility is reduced. This offcourse means when it is dark outside, and the light sensor does this ok.

BUT...If it is raining, this is also "reduced visibility" and you must also turn on your light.

My previous car, when set to AUTO light, would automatically turn on the low beam and rear lamps whenever the rain sensor had activated the wipers "enough"

It did not turn on the light, if the rain sensor did a sweep or 2 (Could be passing a truck that had some water on it) but if it had to do X sweeps in Y amount of time or something like that, it would also turn on the light.

The other day i was driving in the rain, and noticed that i had to turn on the light myself, even if it was raining a fair bit, and my previous car would certainly have done it for me.

Also like Attorney58 i found my maps to be Q3 2020, and the map data compiled december 2020, which would make them more than a year old.

I really hope there is a map update, and that they do not want me to pay for map updates. If there is no map update yet, i must say ,that it does not bode well for the update cycle of the maps.

I believe that will improve a lot when you go fully metric. Go on UK, take the last steps into the 21st century! (Well, 20th actually 🤔).

Speed sign recognition is great in modernised countries.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom