• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

CONSIDERING BUYING THE HS PHEV BUT NEED SOME ADVICE

Mike0811uk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All, l am seriously considering buying the HS PHEV after being very impressed on a test drive yesterday.

However, l would appreciate some advice from existing owners if possible please as follows;

(1) l know the heating does not operate in EV mode but the salesman did not seem sure about the Air Con in summer. Does the Air Con need the ICE running as well?
(2) Can anyone give me an idea of what the typical max range is with a full tank of fuel and a fully charged battery?
(3) When l first drove out of the dealership and the car was stone cold l did notice a very slight jerkiness. This did seem to subside as the car warmed up but is this normal?
(4) When the salesman started the car l was still standing outside and noticed a momentary rattle like a chain rattle. It did disappear after a few seconds. Any idea if this is normal?
(5) l do have some concerns about long term reliability and MG after sales service. I guess most owners have not done large mileages yet but any feedback would be appreciated.

l realise this may see a long list but overall l was VERY impressed so l am VERY tempted.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Mike H

Hello

Once the water is at the correct temperature you can drive along in EV but the ICE will keep curing in, if keeping at. 20 or 21 will run for 5 or 6 miles

Range around 300 miles but depending on your driving.

When cold on a cold day I have had the jerky from it but soon gone.

Noise do not know could be starter motor.

Last one is pot luck, have a look at reviews on them.

There are two other thing you should be aware of.
In EV at about 44 MPH you get what you think is a power drop then it picks up again if you push through this it will not happen but the first time you think it’s going to stop.

Next is when the EV and ICE are working together at 30 MPH the ICE is revs are high it take time to change up to next gear, if you flip the throttle this will make it change up.

These two are something to do with the gear box, there are two cars in with my dealer and waiting to hear the out come but I am now use to that. There are a number of posts on this.

Last edited:
Hi Jto, thanks for your reply. So is it correct if you have the aircon on in hot weather you can't run in EV mode?

I had read about the power drop and I tried to replicate it on my test drive but didn't notice it or the high ICE revs at 30mph. I must admit I didn't notice gear changes much at all after it had warmed up, it almost left more like a CVT than a DCT.

Hi Mike,

I have not owned an MG PHEV but previous to my current MG ZS ev I had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. I really enjoyed it as it introduced me to the EV experience.
Having owned the ZS for over a year I would never return to owning an ICE car.
I can understand concerns regarding the leap from ice to full electric but would recommend you also test drive an EV.
I am sure most people who have made the change would not return to ice ownership.
Anyway good luck with your choice and look forward to seeing your future posts whichever car you choose.

Hi Iain, many thanks for your advice. I actually have a Tesla Model 3 on order to replace an Outlander PHEV. The HS PHEV would replace a very thirsty Hyundai Tuscon. I am not yet confident enough of this countries charging infrastructure to go completely EV.

Hi Jto, thanks for your reply. So is it correct if you have the aircon on in hot weather you can't run in EV mode?

I had read about the power drop and I tried to replicate it on my test drive but didn't notice it or the high ICE revs at 30mph. I must admit I didn't notice gear changes much at all after it had warmed up, it almost left more like a CVT than a DCT.
Yes I did not see at test drive only after the drop eg. I was running in the summer in EV and air conditioning on am sure, will try it tonight on the way home just to check I am correct.

• Aircon works in ev only mode even cold
  • take a 2 or 3 day test drive like I did if you can
  • Having owned ZS ice, ZS EV and now HS PHEV please be aware condensation is an issue in all MGs. It requires a bit of patients and management on cold days.
  • you are unlikely to get more than 280 miles from a fully charged and petrol topped up journey. Long journeys you drop to 40 mpg once the battery is empty. Improved by using the battery management function to keep some charge back on highways to use EV mode going through towns. I average 80 mpg because. I do most of my driving on short journeys in EV mode
  • The head unit is slow and has strange intermittent black out but rarely.
  • engine and gear box are not refined but better than a Dacia!
  • EV mode is genuine 32 mile range in summer dropping off a bit now the weather is colder
  • remember it charges at only 3.5kw so only charge it at home, pointless at service stations
  • it’s value for money and I live with its foibles because it’s £10k cheaper than a BMW X1 phev
  • my next car will be a full BEV but only once we get a real world 300 mile range and the charging infrastructure is reliable and plentiful.

• Aircon works in ev only mode even cold
  • take a 2 or 3 day test drive like I did if you can
  • Having owned ZS ice, ZS EV and now HS PHEV please be aware condensation is an issue in all MGs. It requires a bit of patients and management on cold days.
  • you are unlikely to get more than 280 miles from a fully charged and petrol topped up journey. Long journeys you drop to 40 mpg once the battery is empty. Improved by using the battery management function to keep some charge back on highways to use EV mode going through towns. I average 80 mpg because. I do most of my driving on short journeys in EV mode
  • The head unit is slow and has strange intermittent black out but rarely.
  • engine and gear box are not refined but better than a Dacia!
  • EV mode is genuine 32 mile range in summer dropping off a bit now the weather is colder
  • remember it charges at only 3.5kw so only charge it at home, pointless at service stations
  • it’s value for money and I live with its foibles because it’s £10k cheaper than a BMW X1 phev
  • my next car will be a full BEV but only once we get a real world 300 mile range and the charging infrastructure is reliable and plentiful.
Hi
I was under the impression the on board charger was only 3.5 kw but I seen a post that MG saying it’s a 7kw not sure what to make of it now but I did a 32 mile journey and then put my car on a 7 kw charger for 2 hours and when I got back to the car it had 23 miles on the clock so in one more hour cold it have got to 32 miles. My dealer say it take 4 hours to charge to full on there 7kw charger.
Not sure what to believe.

Had one since August, this is mostly question 2:

Very happy with it when doing the local everyday journeys in Summer, as it will allow selection of EV mode pretty much straight away and the electric miles are about 4p each if I've got my sums right. Using it daily for a mix of local and motorway travel no more than 50 miles a day I filled it up in early September and didn't have to fill it again until after the petrol shortage around 30th October. Range as stated was about 300 miles, obviously the petrol drops but only when you use up all the electric or drive in hybrid mode.

Happy with it doing the local runs in colder weather - need to do around 2 to 2.5 miles before it will go to EV mode and stay in it, with heater set to 18 degrees and minimal or no use of of demister and heated rear window. Tried setting the air intake to recirculate to save on heating requirement but that brings on a lot of condensation so have left it on Auto.

Slightly disappointed with the MPG on long runs (although I should say they've been in France, I don't dawdle and I recognise it's a small engine) at around 36.5mpg and all but the dregs of the electric power consumed at the end of the run. My assumption is that raising the recharge levels just uses more petrol for engine based charging so have left that alone. Overall MPG was around 170mpg over the period from 17th Sept to 1st November but had dropped to 58.2 after the 240 mile belt down to the Vendee and back in November with a predominance of EV use whilst there. It's crept back up to 62.4 since then with local EV use, and is set to drop again when I take Mother in Law home to Wigan from Southampton next week. I would hope it will then creep back up to something around the mid 70's whilst used locally until we go back to France in March.

Comfort levels are great. Some of the safety stuff is a pain in the arse but that's subjective and you can turn it off. Love the intelligent cruise control on the Autoroute, albeit you have to pull out a bit earlier than you might to pass a slower vehicle to avoid being 'tethered' to it.

Hi
I was under the impression the on board charger was only 3.5 kw but I seen a post that MG saying it’s a 7kw not sure what to make of it now but I did a 32 mile journey and then put my car on a 7 kw charger for 2 hours and when I got back to the car it had 23 miles on the clock so in one more hour cold it have got to 32 miles. My dealer say it take 4 hours to charge to full on there 7kw charger.
The supplied 3 pin home charger is rated at 10amps, therefore works at 2.3 KW. My understanding is that a Type 2 to Type 2 lead attached to a commercial or tethered charging point will deliver up to 7KW - assuming the charging point has access to that much current. They can supply more but the car is limited to 7KW.

Hi
Yes you plug into a 7kw type2 but it will only draw at 3.5kw hence 4 hours for full charge - more when the BMS kicks in and carries out a battery cell balance at end of charge

1) the car can and will run in EV with aircon on. Best time of the year to run the car on short journeys all in EV.

2) the fuel tank is 37L so almost 20L less than the equivalent petrol only cars. You will be looking at 300 miles range with petrol and 32 miles EV range. There or thereabouts.

3) yea I get that in the morning. Never really thought much about it as it was very minor jerk, just not smooth linear acceleration.

5) don’t forget this isn’t the first car MG have sold in UK. They have been selling MGs in the last 10 years and the brand is just getting bigger and bigger. My last car was a MG GS from 2016 but I only did 32,000 miles. Nothing wrong with the car.

Hi

It takes me 4hrs to charge from my home 7kW charger when at zero. The maximum rate it charges is approx 3.5kW. Here is a table from my home charger how long and how much kWh it takes.

Attachments

• 109D505A-C699-4A90-9CBC-A8B4A01AE615.jpeg
    109D505A-C699-4A90-9CBC-A8B4A01AE615.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 238
Hi All, thanks for all your replies, very useful. I really am in two minds. I think my biggest concern is long term reliability AND the dealers ability and knowledge of a complex vehicle if things do go wrong. Having said that the worst, most unreliable car l have ever owned with the worst most useless dealers was a Mercedes so buying from a premium German brand is no guarantee l guess.

It’s a good car with all car now a days are run by electronics so could have the same with any car make there no perfect car.

If you are near a major multi franchise dealer support should not be a problem. Don’t forget the HS is progression from the GS and the components are well test with history and reasonable production numbers in several world markets. You also have a robust warranty contract, (worth reading). Finally the car is quite simple and modular making diagnostics a swap out, (subject to availability). I had a head unit replaced after the firmware bricked.

I agree the hs phev is a great looking car in and out and so comfortable to drive.
You need to work out will it work for how you are going to use it?.
When i got mine my usage plan was the 90-95% normal journeys use on EV ( at 100 MPG,( 3l/100km or less )) and this will far overcome the 5-10 long journeys over the year ( at closer to 40 MPG , 7l/100 ), making it a very economical car over the year
Best of all no range anxiety ( like you can get over here with pure EV's) as I will be travelling to parts of the UK where the infrastructure is not great .
Well I have to say it has pretty much worked out this way , i switch between EV mode and Hybrid ( depending on journey length) and have completed long journeys to cornwall , devon , london ,wales and even round trips around the midlands greater than the EV range ( 35 ish miles , depending on how you drive etc) and its been great. ( check out the thread "whats your fuel economy" )

So after 9 months of having it do i regret it ? - No its been a great car
Is it perfect - No , but no car in this price range will be , it a case of compromise , and can you live with what you percieve as the shortcomings, well i can.
I think its a great stepping stone to going full EV ( im not quite there yet as i would still feel nervous re the infrastructure in the remore parts of cornwall / wales ive been to) but i do wish it had a greater range on EV , so i dont have to plug it in so much LOL.

I hope this helps

As soon as I am on the main road, I put the ACC on, even to do 30mph, then raise it when permissible using lever, using EV on all local journeys, and every so often I drive to Lincolnshire, a 330 mile round trip, with full tank and full charge, it states I have a 395 mile range, on my return I have 60 -70 miles left and 10 miles charge, using EV going through Boston, meter states averaging 50mpg, overall registering 70+, as local runs , Tesco and daughter only a few miles away. At home on granny charge,2.3kwh it charges 5miles to the hour, in Tesco 7kwh, it charges 10 miles to the hour. For my use, I am most delighted with this car, and cannot see me changing it ever as my mileage is low. Very comfortable, love the "extras", red seating like an italian car, AC works on EV on cold, use regular to stop seals drying out, always on when in auto mode, pleased the tyres are not low profile as on other SUV's I've had, half the price if replaced, and not necessary as not a race car, I recommend this car most highly.

Last edited:
I have noticed some are finding hesitance in gear changing, I honestly do not have the foggiest idea when the gears change, or what gear I am in, whether in auto or EV mode, I just leave it to sort itself, it is so smooth on accelerating not knowing the gears change, only when I wanted to overtake a slow driver, it kicked down shot to very high speed so quick I was amazed, then took foot off after passing, it slowed to my set speed , recharging as it did, as it does often when I cruise on clear roads

and every so often I drive to Lincolnshire, a 360 mile round trip, with full tank and full charge, it states I have a 395 mile range, on my return I have 60 -70 miles left and 10 miles charge

Full tank of fuel and 22 miles EV range 😩

Attachments

• E42B7F1C-6075-4557-89C7-F3BDFA74B5D3.jpeg
    E42B7F1C-6075-4557-89C7-F3BDFA74B5D3.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 242
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom