• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

DAB RADIO

Goonergray

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
So picked up my HS hybrid sat 30th July ( ordered Oct 21) , all good except no DAB radio chip installed , they have stuck a temporary aerial to the windscreen which plugs in USB. Anyone else had this? And any news when it will be rectified please.

Last edited by a moderator:
You aren’t the only one. All current HS are like that as MG wants to release the cars to the customers rather than keeping hold of them with no car just because of a radio chip. The car will be recalled when the chips are available.

You aren’t the only one. All current HS are like that as MG wants to release the cars to the customers rather than keeping hold of them with no car just because of a radio chip. The car will be recalled when the chips are available.
The question is WHEN WILL THE CHIPS BE AVAILABLE ! I've just paid £26500 for a car that's got a fault and wasn't told until I had paid for it. Does anyone know if there is a part number !.

Just to say that my new HS has the chip installed and it works a treat. When you "eventually" get one you will be happy (rub in salt) 😁

Nice, hope to get mine but still waiting...
Would I be able to go to any MG dealer to get it or do I need to go to the one where the car was purchased?

Nice, hope to get mine but still waiting...
Would I be able to go to any MG dealer to get it or do I need to go to the one where the car was purchased?
Good point, i didnt consider that ...i purchased my Vehicle 150 miles away...i wonder if they will advise when its available ?

Ordered mine in October 21 and collected it in March 22. DAB works fine, was I lucky!
ANY dealer should be able to carry out work, if you purchased in then moved from Scotland to Cornwall would you be okay taking it back to Scotland? I would think not.

Has anyone else had the chip installed yet as i ordered my HS in April and picked it up today and its still got the temp device stuck to windscreen and wire sticking out of glovebox

Has anyone else had the chip installed yet as i ordered my HS in April and picked it up today and its still got the temp device stuck to windscreen and wire sticking out of glovebox
I guess not. We've currently got a 72 plate 600 mile HS Exclusive on loan from dealer as they failed to register our new 5 Trophy with the DVLA today. Thought it strange that no DAB was showing and thanks to Google, plugged in the cable to the USB port.
Not the answer you wanted but poor performance from MG (n)
(n)

My Dealer advised its not Chip shortage ..the company who manufactured the head ? went bust during covid and they are waiting to find another manufacturer ..he said possibility of a long wait or maybe a never !

I picked up my new car last week and wasn't told about the DAB radio not working. When I questioned this with the dealer he told me the same about the company going bust and that we should have it sorted by 6 months. Listen to the radio through my phone instead which is not ideal

After asking the question to a number of UK MG dealers for an update of when i could expect an ETA for the DAB radio shortage semiconductor for supply & fit to my MG HS PHEV to change the Temporary DAB wire through the glove box & into the centre console USB Port !. which prevents closure of the lid to the compartment, all replied (we don't know ) and some advised contact MG customer service for more information.... which i did.

MG customer service initial reply:
Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor! In this instance you would need to contact your local MG dealership who will be able to assist further.)
After replying to their inept response and asking for an escalation to higher management this prompted a further reply.

Thank you for your email and I am sorry that this may not have been explained correctly.
I am uncertain as to why your DAB radio would be described as a temporary measure.

As we are unable to obtain semiconductors in the required numbers, we have found an alternative way of installing DAB radio in our cars. As DAB is a requirement in the UK, this enables us to continue selling vehicles and so on. This works via USB connecting to an antenna on the LHS of the windscreen. This measure creates full DAB connectivity and it is our solution to the dilemma that we were faced with.

This has been the specification on certain models since February 2022 and remains the specification on certain models. Your dealership would be aware of this and it would also have been present on their demo model during your test drive.

I am truly sorry that this may not have been explained correctly. We will certainly look at this again when the supply of semiconductors improves, and certain other alternatives are being tested, unfortunately we may be looking at years rather than weeks or months before we can offer an alternative.
I trust that this will answer your questions regarding this matter and again, I am sorry that your vehicle may not be meeting with your expectations.
Kind regards
MG customer service

Last edited:
When I borrowed a dealer's HS a few weeks ago, the temporary DAB aerial was fitted. Yes, you get DAB stations but couldn't have any preset stations. Every time you wanted to go from say Heart to Smooth, you had to scroll through the whole DAB list.

How can MG can say this acceptable is beyond me. Thank god my MG 5 came along a few days later.

So picked up my HS hybrid sat 30th July ( ordered Oct 21) , all good except no DAB radio chip installed , they have stuck a temporary Ariel to the windscreen which plugs in usb . Anyone else had this and any news when it will be rectified please .
Yes mine is the same, the "temp" equipment is useless, Is there anyone who we can contact to complain? some pressure is needed to get this issue resolved.

When I borrowed a dealer's HS a few weeks ago, the temporary DAB aerial was fitted. Yes, you get DAB stations but couldn't have any preset stations. Every time you wanted to go from say Heart to Smooth, you had to scroll through the whole DAB list.

How can MG can say this acceptable is beyond me. Thank god my MG 5 came along a few days later.
I’ve connected the little black box via a usb lead to the USB port but how do you get dab stations on the screen?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom