Dash cam hardwire.

ScottyB

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Afternoon all,

I’m looking at getting a dashcam if and ideal have it hardwired. Has anyone done this? And what cam did you go for?

Thanks for the help!

Hi @ScottyB - I just got a cheap one from Amazon. You can spend hundreds and it's all singing and dancing with parking monitoring, cloud recording, etc. but I just wanted something as a 'just in case' and it only cost me about £25 around 5 years ago - I have moved it from my last 2 cars so it's served me well! :cool:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi Scotty, I went for the Nextbase 322GW.

An amazingly clear camera in Full HD with Wi Fi so you can playback footage on your mobile phone using an app OR take out the SD Card and playback on your computer.

Nextbase have a Hardwiring Kit as an optional extra around £12.50 if I remember correctly, which has a clever fuse holder that you simply unplug the fuse you want from your passenger fuse box, plug in the hardwire fuse holder and re-plug then original fuse into the adaptor.

Camera works well, with or without audio recording.

I have also added the rear camera now which was easy to fit and plugs into the front unit, running the cable along the edge of the roof lining hidden out of site.

Both cameras are selectable for individual playback from the app.

Andy (Blackpool)

I hardwired my Nextbase 622GW today (the official hardwire kit is £20!)
I shall be doing mine next week (a lowly Nexbase 322), have you hardwired permanent live ? Would be interested how this affects the 12V battery.

The fuse box in the passenger footwell, get a piggy back fuse holder with the wire and small usb plug on it, use the 12v socket fuse (its in the book) and in only turns on when the vehicl is turn on. Mines been fitted for 7 months with no problems.

I shall be doing mine next week (a lowly Nexbase 322), have you hardwired permanent live ? Would be interested how this affects the 12V battery.
Mine is connected to the 12V power socket fuse (F1 in the MG5).
This is only live when accessories are enabled.

Hi Scotty, I went for the Nextbase 322GW.

An amazingly clear camera in Full HD with Wi Fi so you can playback footage on your mobile phone using an app OR take out the SD Card and playback on your computer.

Nextbase have a Hardwiring Kit as an optional extra around £12.50 if I remember correctly, which has a clever fuse holder that you simply unplug the fuse you want from your passenger fuse box, plug in the hardwire fuse holder and re-plug then original fuse into the adaptor.

Camera works well, with or without audio recording.

I have also added the rear camera now which was easy to fit and plugs into the front unit, running the cable along the edge of the roof lining hidden out of site.

Both cameras are selectable for individual playback from the app.

Andy (Blackpool)
I fitted a DashCam hardwired kit for my DashCam I moved from my previous car and picked up a switched 12v fuse position with one of those piggyback fuse adapters. Last time I had the car in for some warranty work involving the Headunit (radio DAB kept switching back and forth to FM)the dealer's workshop said I shouldn't have picked up from that fuse as it was close to the fuse position for the radio and could cause interference. They didn't move it and the warranty work has fixed the radio issue. So I wonder if anyone has a suggestion on which fuse position is switched 12V, is accessible and is perhaps used by a professional installer for this purpose?

Due to having a 12v socket under the centre console I just plug mine in there, it's out of the way and it's not used either so this works for me. I have hidden all the wires under the trim pieces so you can only seen a little bit of wire where it goes to the power socket.

I've been using a generic cam off Amazon which cost less than £30 but has WiFi and an app so you can download clips without having to remove the camera or memory card.
I've got the same camera in my second car too, they're 1080P and even at night they have good resolution.

I've been using a permanent live through one of the generic power supplies with a low voltage cut off. It's been working fine, no issues to report.

I went for the VIOFO A39
3 cameras. Front, Rear and Interior, as I’m a Taxi Driver so the interior will come in handy. No problem wiring up as there is a you tube video on a how to by Tom.

I've been using a permanent live through one of the generic power supplies with a low voltage cut off. It's been working fine, no issues to report.
Hi @macd2401 I believe the nextbase I'm installing has a safety cut off built in if 12v drops to 11.2v.
Can you clarify 'generic power supply', and I wonder if 11.2v is sufficient to start the car.

Hi @macd2401 I believe the nextbase I'm installing has a safety cut off built in if 12v drops to 11.2v.
Can you clarify 'generic power supply', and I wonder if 11.2v is sufficient to start the car.
It was basically the same as Nextbase were selling, but off EBay. Haven't done any real testing of the supply (checking if there actually is a cut off, or if it's just an empty box), but I've been running the camera, along with a tracker unit, both wired to permanent lives. I've left my car for days at a time without using it, and it's never failed to start.

I'm off work in a few days. If I have time, I'll see if I can run the 12v low and see how it goes.

It was basically the same as Nextbase were selling, but off EBay. Haven't done any real testing of the supply (checking if there actually is a cut off, or if it's just an empty box), but I've been running the camera, along with a tracker unit, both wired to permanent lives. I've left my car for days at a time without using it, and it's never failed to start.

I'm off work in a few days. If I have time, I'll see if I can run the 12v low and see how it goes.
Cheers, that's good to hear about the battery, does it use parking mode ?.

Cheers, that's good to hear about the battery, does it use parking mode ?.
Yup. I'd been using parking mode prior to my wee bump in February, but the low temps, and the frequent triggering from passing traffic meant the cam battery was dead when it was needed 🤦‍♂️ Had a look at the NB power kits, but I'll not lie, they seemed a bit pricey at the time, so EBay it was. Did wonder about how the 12v would be affected, but it's drawing almost nothing.

Update.
Decided to let Halfords do the install as I am a bit hopeless sometimes and I wanted it done cleanly and with comeback if any problems. :)
Turned up and after they realised it was a BEV, refused to do it. Turns out Halfords will not fit a dashcam to any BEV due to past incidents that have cost a lot to fix.
As I wasn't too far from the main dealers decided to pay them a visit and ask about this. They said they have had to do expensive (£700) fixes to hardwired dashcams when they have been connected in the wrong place.
They offered to fit, hardwire and install a Kenwood front facing for £229. A little out of my price desire.
They said, and I am no electrician so I have no idea of the veracity of this, connecting it wrongly can affect canbus on other fuses and set off all sorts of errors in the car.

Update.
Decided to let Halfords do the install as I am a bit hopeless sometimes and I wanted it done cleanly and with comeback if any problems. :)
Turned up and after they realised it was a BEV, refused to do it. Turns out Halfords will not fit a dashcam to any BEV due to past incidents that have cost a lot to fix.
As I wasn't too far from the main dealers decided to pay them a visit and ask about this. They said they have had to do expensive (£700) fixes to hardwired dashcams when they have been connected in the wrong place.
They offered to fit, hardwire and install a Kenwood front facing for £229. A little out of my price desire.
They said, and I am no electrician so I have no idea of the veracity of this, connecting it wrongly can affect canbus on other fuses and set off all sorts of errors in the car.
That sounds very much like a long way of them admitting they haven't got a clue what they're doing. Not exactly a good advert for Halfrauds

Canbus has been around for years, and if you try to pull a load from a circuit that's not designed for it, or put unexpected signals down cables, it certainly could cause issues. But that's true for all canbus systems, not just BEVs

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom