• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Dash cam recommendations.

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a good dash cam ?
It's about 5 years since I bought my old Dodd 460W dashcam which is still in my Prius. It was one of the best available at the time, it's just HD 1080p but the footage is amazing, especially night time, you can see every number plate and such.
I've looked online and there seems to be an endless choice of HD, 2K and 4K cameras and I was wondering if it was worth going to a higher resolution going on the quality of the Dodd HD one I have.
Are there any other advances in technology from 5 years ago that are a must have thing in dash cams now ?

I have the Nextbase 522 with the added rear camera. Fairly simple to fit and seem to work well 6k miles in. Virtually unseen by the driver.

I have the Nextbase 522 with the added rear camera. Fairly simple to fit and seem to work well 6k miles in. Virtually unseen by the driver.
What's the add on rear camera view like, does it see the cars behind ok, or does it mostly see the interior of the car ?

I would recommend the Roav C1 Pro (by Anker). You can fetch videos via the app using built-in WiFi on the device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-27-14-20-01-08_208fb5eef091ce9b73130b921941fdf9.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-27-14-20-01-08_208fb5eef091ce9b73130b921941fdf9.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 149
What's the add on rear camera view like, does it see the cars behind ok, or does it mostly see the interior of the car ?
It attaches to the rear screen (I put it top and centre) and sees the cars behind. Just need to route the cable to the front. Card records both front and rear views.

I didn't fancy having to thread cables all the way to the back and I didn't want just a view of the interior, so I've gone for the Nextbase 522W with the rear view plug in add on rather than the rear window camera.
The rear view bit that attaches to the side of the front camera has a telephoto lens with a narrower field of vision and shows a view like the rear view mirror, which is better than no rear view.
I may get the one that attaches to the rear window later if I don't like this one and I pluck up enough courage to start pulling off bits of trim and threading wires all the way to the back.

I didn't fancy having to thread cables all the way to the back and I didn't want just a view of the interior, so I've gone for the Nextbase 522W with the rear view plug in add on rather than the rear window camera.
The rear view bit that attaches to the side of the front camera has a telephoto lens with a narrower field of vision and shows a view like the rear view mirror, which is better than no rear view.
I may get the one that attaches to the rear window later if I don't like this one and I pluck up enough courage to start pulling off bits of trim and threading wires all the way to the back.
Routing the cable was relatively straightforward. Trickiest bit was feeding it through the existing rubber cable routes from the boot lid to the car but it does fit, then just went along the headlining. There is a plastic cover that pops off from the inside top center of the boot lid giving decent access there too and just above where I fitted the camera to the glass.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom