• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Dent!! 🤬 Also insurance.

Alun26

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Only had the car 3 days and some 🤬 has already put a dent and red mark on it in a car park, and I was right there having a nose under the bonnet when he did it🙄.
Got the guys details, but never done a claim before, so what should I do, do I speak to my insurance or get a quote from MG for the fix, then try and get him to pay?

[ Edited Coulomb: Added "also insurance" to the title for easier searching. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Only had the car 3 days and some 🤬 has already put a dent and red mark on it in a car park, and I was right there having a nose under the bonnet when he did it🙄.
Got the guys details, but never done a claim before, so what should I do, do I speak to my insurance or get a quote from MG for the fix, then try and get him to pay?
🤬🤬🤬🤬pot , claim against his insurance and push his price up
get it done properly as it’s a new car
also it’s a non fault claim so your insurance shouldn’t be affected

Doesn't actually work that way unfortunately.
Once you report it your own risk profile increases regardless of blame.
The same thing happened to me BTW:

🤬🤬🤬🤬pot , claim against his insurance and push his price up
get it done properly as it’s a new car
you will push your own price up too. if the damage is small its not worth claiming.

regardless of fault if you have had a claim in x amount of years it will count against you.

get a quote from MG, contact the guy and ask him to give you the cash to repair it.

should he not give you the cash or ignore you - then you choose.

you can either pay for it yourself or call your own insurance give the other guy's details to them and they'll explain the process.

why pay for it yourself? if you are a young driver or have a new-ish policy with an unprotected no claims bonus depending on insurance to insurance you may lose this - your insurance will inform you before claiming.

alternatively paying for it yourself will not affect the next years premium. if you go on a comparison website and compare a quote where you have claimed to one you havent you'll get an idea of how much it could go up by. bear in mind this could take upto 5 years for it off your record (they ask you have you had a claim in the last 5 years regardless of fault)

if the dent isnt severe consider a SMART repair - van comes home to repair that spot of damage. its much cheaper so the other guy may be more inclined to pay up

but definately go for MG quote first and take it from there

I wold get a quote from smart repair near you then try and get them to pay for it but sound out the person that hit you first
Can we have a picture please?

you will push your own price up too. if the damage is small its not worth claiming.

regardless of fault if you have had a claim in x amount of years it will count against you.

get a quote from MG, contact the guy and ask him to give you the cash to repair it.

you can either pay for it yourself or call your own insurance give the other guy's details to them and they'll explain the process.

why pay for it yourself? if you are a young driver or have a new-ish policy with an unprotected no claims bonus depending on insurance to insurance you may lose this - your insurance will inform you before claiming.

alternatively paying for it yourself will not affect the next years premium. if you go on a comparison website and compare a quote where you have claimed to one you havent you'll get an idea of how much it could go up by. bear in mind this could take upto 5 years for it off your record (they ask you have you had a claim in the last 5 years regardless of fault)

if the dent isnt severe consider a SMART repair - van comes home to repair that spot of damage. its much cheaper so the other guy may be more inclined to pay up

Agreed. It’s all to do with risk profiling. The insurance algorithms will suggest an individual with a claim (agnostic of fault) will be higher risk than an individual without any claims and therefore premium upon renewal will increase.

Keep the details logged in case you do need to claim, but try and resolve locally as suggested within a week. If not, submit the claim.

Agreed. It’s all to do with risk profiling. The insurance algorithms will suggest an individual with a claim (agnostic of fault) will be higher risk than an individual without any claims and therefore premium upon renewal will increase.

Keep the details logged in case you do need to claim, but try and resolve locally as suggested within a week. If not, submit the claim.
I used to have a 2006 Avensis which the missus crashed around 2018. it was alot of damage around 1K worth of repairs - maybe less. I knew that if i claimed for repairs my insurance would over the 5 years cost me more from the price increase - i had to sell it off to a scrap yard - got best price i could but unless your talking some serious damage go private.

its all computer programmed these days so the computer wont see that you were parked and someone hit you. just the fact someone hit you is enough for them.

Great advice 👌🏼😊

I strongly advise you to contact the insurers, it will go on file as an 'incident' and may increase your premium temporarily. However, if your claim is successful it should be refunded.
Several months ago my wife did some very minor damage to our car which we didn't bother to mention or indeed get repaired. Some time later a driver accused me of hitting her vehicle in a car park, which I denied as it didn't happen.However she tried to use the 'evidence' of our previous scrape as proof. Consequently I had to have an engineer out to measure our damage and position in order to refute her claim which eventually was accepted. If I had reported our damage at the time I am sure it would have saved me a lot of aggravation!
Theoretically an insurance company can refuse to pay up in future if they are not informed if any accident regardless of liability.

As has been mentioned previously, you can notify the insurer that there has been an "incident" without making a claim.

As happened to me once, after letting the insurers know that a passing vehicle had scaped by mine and left a paint mark, they then had a claim for damage to the third party vehicle and personal injury claim for whiplash etc.

An investigator came to look at my car and laughed. He said the other car looked as though the bumper had been kicked in (which it had). Needless to say, the case was thrown out, but had I not notified the insurance company . . .

Insurance should be what it says.....TO INSURE....however in todays climate since the boy racers of early 70's who stole cars for joy riding have impacted the way insurance works today. It should be that this chap with the new car in a carpark and someone dings it, a straight forward claim ON THE INSURANCE should be just that, with no penalties or ending up on an algorithm. Why should one feel guilty when making a genuine claim when you have paid the premium.
As with so many other things today......IT JUST AIN'T FAIR OR RIGHT and there is sod all you can do about it.

Slightly of topic, but my wife’s insurance is due for renewal in the next few weeks, our current insurer is the RAC.
They have quoted a £100 increase on last year’s premium !.
I called them to question the 45% increase !.
They said they is nothing cheaper and the guy even suggested that I move company, because that is what HE does every year !.
A quick on line search via one of the comparison sites, saved me the £100 pounds and now we are with the A.A. for her car insurance !.
Same level of cover and same level of break down cover as the RAC last year.
I am afraid it’s a case of move each year now, or be prepared to be shafted on the price !.
Also, I hate this automatic renewal thing, it’s a total money spinner in my opinion.
They will automatically take the renewal unless you tell them NOT to.
To Tip :- I have learnt that there IS away to avoid this, if the persons name on the policy, is different from the persons name on the method of payment, they can not auto renew the following year !.

I don’t know how insurance companies are still getting away with it. I thought there were new restrictions in place to stop them quoting exorbitant increases for renewals and they are not allowed to exceed what a new customer would be offered, or are they saying this IS what a new customer would have to pay?

Maybe I'm lucky, my van insurance has hardly changed in 4 years, indeed the premium this year was identical to the previous one, to the last penny!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom