Different charger sockets in France?

Dannyt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi,
I am travelling to France this month and was wondering about the charger formats there, more specifically Type 2 chargers.
It seems that charging points in France use a modified variant of the Type 2, called Type 2S.
Does anyone know if French charging plugs are compatible with standard Type 2 EV ports or maybe if I need an adapter cable or something?

In a nutshell, yes, they are compatible, it's a European standard. ABRP is a great app as it will show you the type and state of the chargers too.

As an aside, this week Tesla opened up some (not all) of their superchargers in France to non-Tesla vehicles - useful to know if you get stuck.

I think Tesla have opened up some chargers in France (and other countries) to non Tesla owners who live in the country. On the face of it Brits passing through can't use the chargers.

I think Tesla have opened up some chargers in France (and other countries) to non Tesla owners who live in the country. On the face of it Brits passing through can't use the chargers.
Yes they can. There are two options, membership at €12,99/month and 35 cents per kWh.
If you chose not to use the subscription (most likely) then the kWh is approx. 50% above Tesla rates.
The following is in French and gives all the details, Google will translate it you need to.

Taken from tesla France website (with Google translate):

Can I use a Supercharger if I'm going to the Netherlands, France or Norway?
The Supercharger Access Pilot Program for non-Tesla vehicles is currently only available to EV drivers residing in the following countries:

Netherlands
France
Norway
Germany
Belgium
Tesla drivers can charge their vehicle as they normally would at these locations , with no geographic restrictions.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom