Difficult rapid chargers

Mgkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve yet to rapid charge my MG due to lockdown and initially intending to use the car for local runs etc. However, I’m now looking at using it for longer journeys.
One thing that concerns me are some reports of certain brands of chargers not working well with the MG and in some cases causing the AA to be called out. Please, could those that have experienced problems let me and others on this forum know which ones they avoid?
Many thanks, Kev.

I have used 10 or more Rapid chargers, or all different brands, and never had a massive issue. From time it take a few mins to work, and if it doesn't recognise the connection then perhaps unplugging and starting again. In my experience, always download the apps beforehand as they generally make it more likely to work. Because the chargers are uncovered the screens tend to be thick and the touchscreen slow to respond, hence why I prefer using the apps.

Agreed, I’ve used quite a few, but try and stick where possible to Polar, but the only issue I’ve had is WiFi with the app from time to time.

OK that’s good news to hear. I did read in the past on this forum that someone had issues with Ecotricity chargers. Polar and Podpoint seem the most numerous in the south of England.

I've only used a couple at present, but yesterday, I was trying need to use a genie charger, without success, on ringing Genie, I was asked if I had a card as the problem was the app not talking to the station, I didn't but through the magic of tech he recalibrated my Shell one to a Genie one, hey presto all worked fine, so now I'm getting card rather than using relying apps

Hi, I’ve yet to rapid charge my MG due to lockdown and initially intending to use the car for local runs etc. However, I’m now looking at using it for longer journeys.
One thing that concerns me are some reports of certain brands of chargers not working well with the MG and in some cases causing the AA to be called out. Please, could those that have experienced problems let me and others on this forum know which ones they avoid?
Many thanks, Kev.
From my (fairly limited) experience of public charging I would say there's no compatibility issue as such with the MG; but simply reliability issues in general with certain chargers. My MG has successfully taken a charge from all types of (CCS Rapid) chargers which I've tried, including Geniepoint, Polar, Instavolt, Ecotricity. I will in future always look for the first three (in particular Instavolt have been an excellent experience) and always avoid Ecotricity, as their reliability record has been shocking in my experience. So I would say there's nothing about the MG specifically to worry about - just whether the charger is working when you get to it.

Thanks again for the updates, hopefully we're going to try a local Rapid unit first to get some experience under our belt.

I’ve tried a number and only had trouble in 2 occasions. One refused to work because the screen, which was in very bright sunlight, was not only unresponsive but almost totally unreadable, in the end, and haven shaded it with an umbrella, I gave up and went elsewhere. The other is consistently with Polar, specifically the machine a short walk from home. It stops and shows the attached screen all I have to do is unplug the car, press the “OK” button and start again. I keep forgetting to report the matter to Polar.

Attachments

• 9274FD12-24D0-45CC-984B-E830D113CD41.jpeg
    9274FD12-24D0-45CC-984B-E830D113CD41.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 128
Hi, we finally tried our first rapid charge this morning. We used a local Engenie 50Kw unit via contactless.All went well with no dramas and we made sure we didn’t drain the 12v battery by having the car switched “on”.
However, the Engenie charger stopped showing the charge information after a short while and the car also stopped showing information via the info panel between the speedo and power clocks.
The only way we could tell that charging was still happening was to either hear the charging unit fans running, see the MG badge pulsing or switching the car “on” and calculating the charge rate. There is nothing in the manual detailing this important function.
Can some let me know if there is another way.
Many thanks Kev.

Either keep your key fob in your pocket and open the boot, close it then look at the instrument panel without opening the door or keep thee key fob some distance away and press the door open button and then look at the instrument panel. I think the “quirks are slightly amusing but think a more polished system might be to MG’s benefit.

Thanks for this info however, I believe this relates to AC charging. It’s how to check the charging whilst DC charging and sitting in the car killing time that I’m interested in finding out.

Older Evolt branded units are now known to have issues with ZS. Some work fine, some don't work at all, failing at the handshake phase. The car will lock the cable, you'll get the triple relay click and the car will charge for 1 second before ending and unlocking the cable. Charger will show the car isn't connected and a charge level totally different to the car (so car might say its 20% charged but charger will show 75% as an example).

Thanks guys that’s exactly what I experienced. This is as good as it gets I suppose. The Engenie unit is around two years old and worked fine except the charging info display disappears after a short while.
Many thanks again, Kev.

Some GenePoint chargers will only slow charge. This is a known issue & approx 200 chargers are affected. They are rolling out an update soon.

Polar Ultrachargers frequently give a transaction error at around 30 minutes of charging.

Ecotricity (or Electric Highway) have caused a few cars some issues, the latest being that the car would not restart. Eventually a disconnection of the 12v battery for more than 10 minutes and a granny charge sorted it out after the car was relayed back home, which was 400 miles away! (Not my car).

there is a problem with the charging curve of the MG. In cooler weather it will not charge very fast, like 20-30’s kW charging speed.

When the battery is warm I have seen 72kW charging speed at an Instavolt 125kW shared charger when I arrived with 14%.

On a very hot 34°C day I arrived at an Ionity 350kW charger with 44% and charged at 48kW.

I have had problems with Pod-Point rapids at Wallingford, Electric Highway at Norton Caines & South Mimms, Polar Ultracharger in Nottingham, GenePoint in Wincanton and those are the ones I can remember.

As I said previously this was a trial to see how the car performed and was done at the most local charger. I’ve had the car since January but what with everything that’s happened I’ve only racked up 1300 miles.
I believe that the battery might have been cool as I only managed 22Kw charging rate. However, having worked out the cost per mile charged it was dearer that my Prius PHV which averages 72mpg at constant motorway speeds.

Turn car on then off is the only way I’ve found. Charging status will show when turned off
Does turning it on then off interrupt the charging process, will you still be able to sit in the car and it will start charging again ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom