Dilemma, what do the gang think?

Mike Cornwall

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Got a bit of a dilemma, I ordered my LR back in November, last heard earliest now September, but now with the neon gas problem to make chips coming from Russia and Ukraine, I'm not expecting to see anything this year!!
Now, this is the big question, a Citroën C4 ev shine plus (top of the range) has appeared at a sister dealership. Now do I spend £5K more on a car that does 60 miles less, but supposedly is a nicer car. I have potentially a very expensive MOT next month on my 188K C3 next month so that would offset some of the extra expense plus I would start saving money on fuel from now.
Also I'm guessing it doesn't have the charging problems that a few on here seem to be experiencing.
Oh dear dear I'm really not sure what to do.

[ Moderator: added "Citroën" ]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's looking like the charging problem was a specific batch, that "shouldn't" affect new cars and there is a software update fr the original batch

How about the ZS SR? There are dealers saying that they have stock ready for delivery

Last edited by a moderator:
It's looking like the charging problem was a specific batch, that "shouldn't" affect new cars and there is a software update fr the original batch

How about the ZS SR? There are dealers saying that they have stock ready for delivery
Ah OK.

The SR is 170 mile range compared to 210 on C4. 170 definitely too short.

I just had a quick look at auto trader there is over 100 long range available after clicking on links around 40 say in stock some say x demo it's probably worth a look

@Mike Cornwall I would stay away from the E-C4. I'm with ONTO and they have the same model. I have had multiple customers say on their forum that the winter range is absolutely rubbish on the car. I am pretty sure it will be rubbish. I had a DS3 last year and during summer I was getting 120 miles on the motorway following motorway speeds and climate control to 21. DS3, E-C4, Mokka, Corsa-e are literally all the same cars. Agreed its a much more plush feeling car but the winter range may drive you nuts, you might get 150 as a few subscribers mentioned but I don't think I heard anyone get more than that.

@Mike Cornwall I would stay away from the E-C4. I'm with ONTO and they have the same model. I have had multiple customers say on their forum that the winter range is absolutely rubbish on the car. I am pretty sure it will be rubbish. I had a DS3 last year and during summer I was getting 120 miles on the motorway following motorway speeds and climate control to 21. DS3, E-C4, Mokka, Corsa-e are literally all the same cars. Agreed its a much more plush feeling car but the winter range may drive you nuts, you might get 150 as a few subscribers mentioned but I don't think I heard anyone get more than that.
Cheers mate, thank you. I'm starting again to feel patient. But I think the same garage may have a SR in the colour I ordered. But they want the same price as I paid for the deposit for on my LR. May see about it later today.

Bird in the had. I've been in that situation twice with cars about to have very expensive repair bill and dealers have taken them knowing the issues as they just put them to auction.

There is very little difference day to day between the ZS SR and LR in practice because the battery chemistry is not the same. The LR has the traditional Li-ion CHemistry to get 71/72 kWh into the battery pack and the SR uses LEP Chemistry for the 50/51 kWh. The reason that day to day there is less difference than those numbers suggest is that the LR is recommended day to day use charging to 80% whereas LEP Chemistry in the SR it is recommended to charge to 100% each day. Do the maths, 80% of 70 kWh = 56 kWh so there is only 6 kWh in it. So day to day the SR is only 8.57% less than the LR. Of course, if you really need all of the range of the LR in one stint then you need the LR.

There is a non-range plus for the SR, apart from being available now, and that is due to the querk of the SR battery pack voltage being higher than the LR battery pack the motor of the SR actually produces more power.

Bird in the had. I've been in that situation twice with cars about to have very expensive repair bill and dealers have taken them knowing the issues as they just put them to auction.

There is very little difference day to day between the ZS SR and LR in practice because the battery chemistry is not the same. The LR has the traditional Li-ion CHemistry to get 71/72 kWh into the battery pack and the SR uses LEP Chemistry for the 50/51 kWh. The reason that day to day there is less difference than those numbers suggest is that the LR is recommended day to day use charging to 80% whereas LEP Chemistry in the SR it is recommended to charge to 100% each day. Do the maths, 80% of 70 kWh = 56 kWh so there is only 6 kWh in it. So day to day the SR is only 8.57% less than the LR. Of course, if you really need all of the range of the LR in one stint then you need the LR.

There is a non-range plus for the SR, apart from being available now, and that is due to the querk of the SR battery pack voltage being higher than the LR battery pack the motor of the SR actually produces more power.
Cheers, very helpful.

On your points..
1) how frequently will you do long journeys that warrants an LR vs SR/eC4
2) generally most owner reviews for MG EVs are positive, whilst Citroen has a chequered history on reliability, so wouldn’t discount the MG on that front
3) how soon do you need it…

If you’re not often doing long distances, I’d jump on an SR.

Key point that is whatever recommendations are, the LR has the capacity for c35% additional range. If you do frequent long distances, this will make a difference. If you don’t, and you have access to regular charging then it’s less significant.

If you’re not often doing long distances, I’d jump on an SR.
That's exactly what I've done. SR Connect in place of a LR. Same colour. Only negative is that I have to travel to Chorley to get it. Already been up there once to see to the paperwork and it was a very pleasant drive from Swansea avoiding the motorways (except the last bit of M6) so not a biggie and I am glad to be able to get one in a couple of weeks.

That's exactly what I've done. SR Connect in place of a LR. Same colour. Only negative is that I have to travel to Chorley to get it. Already been up there once to see to the paperwork and it was a very pleasant drive from Swansea avoiding the motorways (except the last bit of M6) so not a biggie and I am glad to be able to get one in a couple of weeks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom