DIY V2L

Gadget Geek

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone.

It finally arrived . . . No, not the car, the V2L adapter.

So I opened the box and there was the adapter and an instuction booklet in chinese.

20220616_145419.jpg

The top of the adapter had 3 star headed screws, so I found my pack of special screwdriver heads and took the top off.

20220616_145624.jpg

Looking inside, there were 3 more screws at the bottom.

20220616_145815.jpg

I got those out and the pin assembly slid out.

20220616_150121.jpg

I located the blue Proximity Pilot lead and found the resistor which was encased in a heat shrink sleeve.

20220616_151256.jpg

I used a craft knife to carefully remove the sleeve and found a 680 ohm resistor and a diode.

20220616_154149.jpg

Not sure what the diode is for. According to this tutorial; , a 680 ohm resistor is telling the on board charger that the cable will charge at 20 Amps (a bit weird).

I've ordered a pack of 470 ohm resistors to replace the existing resistor and diode. I'll update when they arrive.

To be continued . . .

Alan.

Certainly the cheapest solution I've seen so far. But not waterproof, good for emergency use though.

That diode looks like a standard 1N4007.

It prevents power flowing in the "wrong" direction, but i would imagine it would also prevent the car from correctly detecting the resistor "value"

If this adaptor fails to work, when you get the car, the first thing to do, is remove that diode.

Certainly the cheapest solution I've seen so far. But not waterproof, good for emergency use though.
Agreed. I'll look at waterproofing it when I've finished the conversion and tested it (might be a while as I haven't got the car yet). I've been reading the booklet via the camera on my phone and Google Translate. It's rated for 16 Amps at 220 Volts. That gives it a max rating of 3.5kW. Not bad.

Last edited:
An update on my DIY V2L adapter. (I'm trying to do this so that anyone who hasn't got any skills in hobby electronics can have a go.)

The 470 ohm resistors arrived from Amazon;

20220627_173540.jpg

I screwed it into a connector block (the Proximity Pilot only uses 12 volts. The resistor is rated at 0.5 Watts, so the current will be less than 40 milliAmps).

20220627_173557.jpg

Cutting out the existing resistor, I stripped the ends of the wires and screwed them into the other side of the connector block.

20220627_173636.jpg

The block folded nicely inside the adapter and is no where near any of the terminals.

20220627_173658.jpg

I have reassembled the adapter and am now waiting for my car so that I can try it out. I'll report back with photos when I do. :)

Last edited:
An update on my DIY V2L adapter. (I'm trying to do this so that anyone who hasn't got any skills in hobby electronics can have a go.)

I have reassembled the adapter and am now waiting for my car so that I can try it out. I'll report back with photos when I do. :)
1-burning-car-ian-rasmussen.jpg

;)

Agreed. I'll look at waterproofing it when I've finished the conversion and tested it (might be a while as I haven't got the car yet). I've been reading the booklet via the camera on my phone and Google Translate. It's rated for 16 Amps at 22 Volts. That gives it a max rating of 3.5kW. Not bad.
Shurely 220v ? Or that breakfast toast will not be ready before bedtime..

The main voltage is 220Vac but I believe the control voltage on that line (the line which sets the max discharge current) is 12Vdc.
Nah, ignore this - you were referring to the statement about 16A at 22V - soz!!

The main voltage is 220Vac but I believe the control voltage on that line (the line which sets the max discharge current) is 12Vdc.
Nah, ignore this - you were referring to the statement about 16A at 22V - soz!!
Just looked at this EV charging adaptor you purchased, I would like to order one of these but would welcome some advise. I believe the plug should be a type 2 and I notice that AliExpress offer one with a 4-way extension attached for £30.84. Please also advise why you are fitting a resistor to the plug, will it not function without resistor ?

Just looked at this EV charging adaptor you purchased, I would like to order one of these but would welcome some advise. I believe the plug should be a type 2 and I notice that AliExpress offer one with a 4-way extension attached for £30.84. Please also advise why you are fitting a resistor to the plug, will it not function without resistor ?

It needs the resistor so the car can determine that you plugged in a connector that is for V2L or for charging the car.

The resistor is present in both types of connector, it is just a different value of resistance depending upon whether charging or powering external devices. The resistor size also lets the car know the maximum charging current the cable can manage.

Have a look here:

There is a long thread on the forum about V2L

Last edited:
Actually, I've just had a thought. Let me know what things you'd like me to plug in and try which you would want to use. (Sensible suggestions only . . . I know you lot. :))

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom