Do MG actually listen to feedback?

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Although I'm some way from my MG4 delivery yet, I have reviewed it to death and read dozens of comments and observations on this forum. One thing that has come up a lot when people have experienced an issue is the "hopefully it'll be fixed by a software update" comment. I know there is an MG dealer who appears on the podcasts so do MG actually take these comments on board and are we likely to see software fixes or will we be having the same conversation forever and a day.

Although I'm some way from my MG4 delivery yet, I have reviewed it to death and read dozens of comments and observations on this forum. One thing that has come up a lot when people have experienced an issue is the "hopefully it'll be fixed by a software update" comment. I know there is an MG dealer who appears on the podcasts so do MG actually take these comments on board and are we likely to see software fixes or will we be having the same conversation forever and a day.
Well that’s a good question which is difficult to put answer to, it appears that MG Motors only have conversations with there dealers to be honest as many many replies to owners e-mails or letters if they get any reply at all says go to your dealer.
So then it is down to the dealer to contact MG with your concerns, the most recent one that stands out with the MG4 is the oil leak, where owners have to go to dealers to let them take pictures of the leak before parts can be ordered to cure it hopefully and that’s a bit hit and miss sometimes.

The other recent one is people being locked in there cars, now that as been dealt with much quicker because some one reported it as a safety issue to the DVSA who in turn made MG issue a safety recall for it but many including myself are having to wait weeks for that recall to be attended to.
Around 2 years ago I tried everything I could to get a ridiculous issue over the roof bars on the 5 resolved when it first came to the uk numerous telephone calls ,e mails, hand written letters nothing was to be done about it so I took it to the DVSA and within a month a recall was issued by MG Motors because they cannot ignore the DVSA as it they do they would stop them trading it’s a pity that DVSA only deal with matters of safety and any other problems such has an oil leak in this case is a battle for the owners and I think the dealers to some degree to get MG Motors to except exist.

We know several owners have posted several times on this forum and in others, they have been told that MG Motors do not read or get involved with these kind of forums but it might pay them to do so.
Sorry it’s been a drawn out attempt to answer your question and probably hasn’t fully.
Les.

Thanks Les. I suppose there will always be teething issues especially on what is a very new model coming to the market. The kind of minor issue I've seen a few times on reviews is where your personal drive preferences are not remembered by the infotainment system, so when you next drive the car, you have to set them again. I know getting locked in your car is a biggy but I just wonder if there will actually be periodic updates on the fairly simple software "bugs" for want of a better word. Anyways thanks for the reply... Mark

Thanks Les. I suppose there will always be teething issues especially on what is a very new model coming to the market. The kind of minor issue I've seen a few times on reviews is where your personal drive preferences are not remembered by the infotainment system, so when you next drive the car, you have to set them again. I know getting locked in your car is a biggy but I just wonder if there will actually be periodic updates on the fairly simple software "bugs" for want of a better word. Anyways thanks for the reply... Mark
Well mark I sure hope so my wife’s SESR goes in next week for the locking problem which we have never had, she’s had the 4 about 6 /7 weeks now the drive preferences are a bit of a bind but I hope it will get sorted soon.
Les.

I think it's safe to safe they don't, you just have to keep your fingers crossed you have a good dealer.

To my knowledge, none of the MG EV models remember your preference on drive modes and kers and certain 'safety' features prople don't like revert to on. This consistent approach implies to me it's a design choice or limitation of the underlying technology and I wouldnt hold your breath about it being changed in a software update.

Theres been several 'remedial' software updates for BMS issues, kers related brake lights and the 'comfort' update that adjusted the charging behaviour to be much more friendly and convenient. These were all major things.

I am in a very similar situation in that I am also waiting for delivery of my MG4. And like you have been looking at every video and review.
In terms of the question- Do MG listen.
We have to consider the structure of the organisation.
Do the Dealerships report all of the problems.
And who do they report them to.
MG UK - SAIC China.

And what is the quality organisation through this structure.
If MG want to be able to exploit the inherent opportunities of being early in the EV marketplace, the answer is that YES, they absolutely have to listen AND react quickly.

Yeah I understand that companies like MG will adopt a "we know best" policy and I don't mean that in a bad way as I know a lot of it is around safety. It would just be nice to have perhaps a couple of custom settings that could remember your preferences. One perhaps for longer A/M road journeys with less regen and perhaps a small A/B road set-up for shorter rural commutes where regen would be used more. Just a little bit of lateral thinking could have engineered these issues out before coming to market. It's like my reasoning for not choosing the Trophy MG4. It's pointless to have electric seats without a 2 driver memory function, also wireless charging without wireless Android Auto / Carplay, a "rather nice" roof diffuser that contributes in reducing range, heated seats and steering wheel in a car I can pre-heat from the comfort of my warm living room. A more is less approach could have created the perfect EV whereas MG have created an exceptionally good EV with just enough issues for the need to have forums like this to discuss them. The good thing for me is that I reviewed the MG4 to death before ordering so I was fully aware of these "first world" problems when I signed on the dotted line. I'm still very excited about getting my first EV and will no doubt bitch about things as I go forward but hey.... Vive la revolution....

Yeah I understand that companies like MG will adopt a "we know best" policy and I don't mean that in a bad way as I know a lot of it is around safety. It would just be nice to have perhaps a couple of custom settings that could remember your preferences. One perhaps for longer A/M road journeys with less regen and perhaps a small A/B road set-up for shorter rural commutes where regen would be used more. Just a little bit of lateral thinking could have engineered these issues out before coming to market. It's like my reasoning for not choosing the Trophy MG4. It's pointless to have electric seats without a 2 driver memory function, also wireless charging without wireless Android Auto / Carplay, a "rather nice" roof diffuser that contributes in reducing range, heated seats and steering wheel in a car I can pre-heat from the comfort of my warm living room. A more is less approach could have created the perfect EV whereas MG have created an exceptionally good EV with just enough issues for the need to have forums like this to discuss them. The good thing for me is that I reviewed the MG4 to death before ordering so I was fully aware of these "first world" problems when I signed on the dotted line. I'm still very excited about getting my first EV and will no doubt bitch about things as I go forward but hey.... Vive la revolution....
Completely agree with you. To my mind, if you are going to buy the mg4, the most sensible version is the SE. Then it is a choice of standard range or long range.

companies like MG will adopt a "we know best" policy and I don't mean that in a bad way as I know a lot of it is around safety

You also have to remember that it's a national characteristic for Chinese people to not publicly acknowledge mistakes but instead to deal with them in private. In terms of MG this means that they do not comment on issues raised and only retrospectively fix them when forced to. If you cannot accept this don't do business with them, but you'll miss out on good value products by doing so.

MG’s UK strategy is clear to me.
Disrupt the market with lower price competition. Get positive reviews and sell, sell, sell.
Don’t worry too much about after sales - act if you really have to, but keep a tight grip on warranty work and dealer costs.
Price is King and customers will keep buying if reviews stay positive and prices competitive.
Once more market penetration is achieved the position can be looked at.

You also have to remember that it's a national characteristic for Chinese people to not publicly acknowledge mistakes but instead to deal with them in private. In terms of MG this means that they do not comment on issues raised and only retrospectively fix them when forced to. If you cannot accept this don't do business with them, but you'll miss out on good value products by doing so.
Yeah fully aware of the corporate culture. The aerospace company I work for AVIC Cabin Systems (Aviation Industry Corporation of China) is Chinese owned so I completely agree with you.

MG’s UK strategy is clear to me.
Disrupt the market with lower price competition. Get positive reviews and sell, sell, sell.
Don’t worry too much about after sales - act if you really have to, but keep a tight grip on warranty work and dealer costs.
Price is King and customers will keep buying if reviews stay positive and prices competitive.
Once more market penetration is achieved the position can be looked at.
Spot on.

It’s important to realise that establishing good value is by looking across many areas - not just price.

Completely agree with you. To my mind, if you are going to buy the mg4, the most sensible version is the SE. Then it is a choice of standard range or long range.
I do really like the Trophy styling and might have considered one if they did both trims in both batteries like previous MGs. I think a standard range Trophy would have been a good seller. For my personal needs, the SR is more than good enough so with the Trophy being around £5k more, it simply isn't worth it for what you get. Had they done the SESR as the base price and then slipped a choice between SELR or Trophy SR at the same price with Trophy LR being at the top, this would have offered a better choice. I honestly believe that most people could happily live with the SR but because they liked the Trophy then that's what they bought. Therefore they are going to defend the LR NMC battery (80% scenario) because that's all they could buy to get the Trophy.

Could not have put better myself Mark, you have looked at the MG4 the same way has we did and ours, and the way it will be used, ( by the way the same as you have on order Se Sr in red ) is perfect for what my wife will use it for.
Why anbody even considers an extra £6000 for the Trophy over a Se Sr is beyond me and if range is a major factor in your choice Se LR is the car for go for, the only of an thing of any use missing on the SE is the reversing camera easily fixed for around £150 with a dash cam that does front and rear, maybe £300 fitted. As you pointed out.
Heated seats and wheel, nice but not necessary,
Wireless phone charger not necessary.
Rear spoiler not necessary
Electrically adjustable seats not necessary.

What would be nice across the range of models is
Rear wash and wipe.
Regen and driving mode select switch as is fitted to the MG5 if and probably because it is a requirement of NCAP that the safety features of the car have to reset each time you switch on, a very quick flick of a switch is far better and safer than trying to change anything in a touch screen.
And just a simple rear parking camera as is fitted to the MK1 5 the new Trophy model of the 5 which I have, also has the 360 cameras but the rear camera is not as good a quality as my first 5 SR was.
Hope your car arrives soon and I’m sure you will enjoy it as many owners are.
Les

Hopefully not I have several issues on my 4 to do with updates. Tony

A lot of the updates and changes to the facelift ZS EV over the Mk1 were what was asked for by owners and fed back to them, possibly by said MG dealer on the podcast @Miles Roberts CG .

changes to the facelift ZS EV over the Mk1 were what was asked for

So we have to wait for the "facelift" before SAIC will rectify significant issues? On the MG4 the locked in issue has been resolved, but how much was that the pressure from the DVLA etc.? No meaningful progress on the oil leak, undertray, default driving settings etc. But it's not just SAIC, VAG seem as bad having left the ID.3 with parlous software for the last 18 months and have now raised the price to unbelievable levels (£40k+) for what is little better than an MG4 LR.

It appears that manufacturers aren't reacting as quickly as you'd expect given modern production techniques and short supply lines. Instead they appear to divert engineering effort to the next new model (in VAG's case the ID.4 and ID.5) rather than rectifying issues with the existing models.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom