• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Do MG EVs normally rattle and creak? Is this the view of your dealer?

Does your MG EV creak and rattle?

• Yes.

• No.

• No, but my dealer thinks they do.

• Not sure, can I just see the results.

• No but All dealers of any brand of car I bought, held the view their cars creak and rattle.

• Yes but my dealer thinks it's all normal.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AbuG

Established Member
Reaction score
After seeing the recommending MG thread and suggestion to make a video of it, then I dont think I can recommend MG without disclosing about the dealer network service.

I have a telephone recording from the dealer's service manager stating all MGs creak and rattle. This was after I sent them my disagreement and dissatisfaction in writing. Details of issue are dealt in the dealers thread.

Despite knowing the call was recorded at both ends and I didn't accept that characteristic that these cars normally creak and rattle, he continued to affirm that another two times. Stating their demonstrators also rattle.
And so I frustratingly ended up opening up the B-pillar fixing the rattle myself adding felt to 3 areas and tying down one off the cables behind the lower seat belt, as per picture.

So is it normal for your car to rattle and is it ok for the dealers to fob you off with that excuse.

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_155619.jpg
    IMG_20210325_155619.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 330
I’ve found the ZS to be overall very well built. As with all EV’s you can hear things that you would not in an ICE car and some people struggle with this - I would guess dealerships have a lot of comments from customers with EV’s for the first time. In very cold weather items that are cold can creak a little - which is normal. As far as rattles, EV’s should be no different from any well built car and there should be no rattles. most of the reported noises on the ZS are well documented - A pillar trims, front screen surround, steering column, and sunroof being the ones that stand out. But all perfectly curable and not something anyone should have to tolerate.

My steering wheel currently "Clicks" I think that's fairly common fault, but an easy fix as far as I'm aware, I can recreate it if I hold the bottom and the top of the steering wheel and pushing and pulling it (not hard, don't want to break it! haha) I've got the car booked in to the only garage near me who actually know what they're doing, So I expect that'll be sorted. That being said.. I've not noticed anything else bar the clicking steering wheel.

Last edited:
I had the steering wheel knock, unclipped the top half of the cowling and tightened up the adjuster pinch bolt nut and it's gone.
Sounds like It might be what I've got? I've not even considered taking the car apart.. I'm not sure I'm that brave, haha, I have a habit of being able to take things apart.. but the other way.. haha

My steering wheel currently "Clicks" I think that's fairly common fault, but an easy fix as far as I'm aware, I can recreate it if I hold the bottom and the top of the steering wheel and pushing and pulling it (not hard, don't want to break it! haha) I've got the car booked in to the only garage near me who actually know what they're doing, So I expect that'll be sorted. That being said.. I've not noticed anything else bar the clicking steering wheel.
Sometimes a quick fix is to undo the adjustment lever and move the wheel up and down a few times. Worth a try 🙂

Mine clicks as well (seems to be mostly on right turns), but it's not that annoying. Sidenote: my Honda Accord had a click in the steering wheel years ago that went away by itself.

Sometimes a quick fix is to undo the adjustment lever and move the wheel up and down a few times. Worth a try 🙂
That worked on mine a couple of times, but it kept coming back.

Sounds like It might be what I've got? I've not even considered taking the car apart.. I'm not sure I'm that brave, haha, I have a habit of being able to take things apart.. but the other way.. haha
The top half of the cowling unclips very easily and you can just get a 13mm spanner on the nut on the right hand side of the adjuster. Slacken the steering adjustment lever then turn the nut clockwise a bit, try quarter of a turn at a time, pushing the lever back up after each adjustment until the lever gets hard to push then back the nut off a touch. It just needed about three quarters of a turn on mine.

My windscreen creaks, there are also squeaks coming from between the dashboard and the 'A-pillars'? on both sides of the windscreen. My steering wheel clicks and there is an air gap that let's wind in between my passenger door and the car.. I will have to find a different dealer to help with this as the one I bought the car from is utterly appaling and unprofessional.. That is a story for another day....
Oh that is terrible...
My dealers' technician/mechanic said about my car rattles "this is one of the better ones we have!" before handing the key back to me.
So I'm guessing this is what he meant...

It's appalling they can get away with it and say go to another dealer in another city for a second opinion... Passing the buck.

They should be named and shamed so potential customers buy from the better dealers, which will then hopefully make them reassess their customer service.

My A-pillar trims both had to be replaced because they rattled constantly. My sunroof has knocked a few times when open and I get squeaks from where the dashboard meets the windscreen.

These noises are made much more prevalent due to the fact the car is very much quieter than my ICE car due to the lack of engine noise.

I have found our MG to be very rattle-free. Although the body seems to use quite thin metal it seems structurally sound. Our Mercedes e-class estate has many rattles!

Mine started "ticking" where the A-pillars meet the dash a few weeks after getting it. It does irritate me, but not enough to do something about just yet. I've not mentioned it to the dealer and at this point, don't intend to.

The dealership network really does need to get up to speed - my own experiences and those of others on here reveal it to be in a pretty poor state but MG don't appear to give a S**t.

Last edited:
Mine started "ticking" where the A-pillars meet the dash a few weeks after getting it. It does irritate me, but not enough to do something about just yet. I've not mentioned it to the dealer and at this point, don't intend to.

The dealership network really does need to get up to speed - my own experiences and those of others on here reveal it to be in a pretty poor state but MG don't appear to give a S**t.
They need to learn that unhappy customer don’t return !.

No squeaks peeps or untoward noises from my MG ZS EV, as for the dealership (chaplehouse Wigan) I bought mine from on the 1st February they're still closed on furlough o_O

Last edited:
I'm not going to bother getting my dash squeak looked at until it gets worse.

It needed two replacement A-pillar trims fitted to sort the rattles. They had to order them but six weeks later never heard anything. Turns out they had been in stock but nobody had called me.

Got the car back and they had removed my brand new £6 air freshener from the rearview mirror and dirty fingerprints on the roof lining near both of the new A-pillars.

MG asked me to give them feedback on my recent visit which I did. The dealer principle contacted me directly and apologised for not being told the part was in stock and for the dirty finger prints.
He's having the car collected for a full valet and also some "MG goodies" (I'm guessing it's the MG bear, but wouldn't say no to some nice mats 😁)
Pays to give constructive feedback!

Can I ask is this Brindley in Wolves?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom