Does anyone on this forum think this is an acceptable response from mg

Pattolad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Dear Mr

If that is the action you wish to pursue, then you should discuss with your selling retailer as they hold your contract of sale.

In addition, if there is finance on the vehicle, then you should contact your finance company as they are the legal owners of the vehicle.

Although MG Motor UK Ltd are not part of this discussion, due to the age and mileage of the vehicle, then any settlement (if agreed) would be based on the current value of the vehicle and not the original purchase price of the car.

I will reiterate that there is no fault present on the vehicle and your dealership Gallaghers MG are carrying out cell rebalancing to assist you as a gesture of goodwill.

I have copied in the Aftersales Manager of Gallaghers in Warrington, so that he is aware that you have contacted us.

I am truly sorry that my reply has not met with your expectations on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Gary Smart

I would say totally unacceptable, but unfortunately morals and what's right & wrong don't necessarily hold legal weight.

I'm pretty sure a decent lawyer would be able to argue it is not fit for purpose.

I know the warranty is 70% (can't remember exactly) usable battery capacity, so if you have less than that, you have every right to give them 1 opportunity to fix it otherwise they're breaching warranty. But also, I'm sure under consumer rights etc, it is not acceptable for the kind of loss you'll be seeing to be deemed acceptable so quickly after purchase.

It's not a nice situation to be in, I wish you luck getting MG to do the right thing.

I would say totally unacceptable, but unfortunately morals and what's right & wrong don't necessarily hold legal weight.

I'm pretty sure a decent lawyer would be able to argue it is not fit for purpose.

I know the warranty is 70% (can't remember exactly) usable battery capacity, so if you have less than that, you have every right to give them 1 opportunity to fix it otherwise they're breaching warranty. But also, I'm sure under consumer rights etc, it is not acceptable for the kind of loss you'll be seeing to be deemed acceptable so quickly after purchase.

It's not a nice situation to be in, I wish you luck getting MG to do the right thing.
I dont think MG have any interest in doing the right thing.I thought i better post it for the benefit of the happy clappers on here who suck up this level of appaling customer service and say nowt

I thought i better post it for the benefit of the happy clappers on here who suck up this level of appaling customer service and say nowt
Bit harsh, isn't it? There are plenty on here who are happy to dish the dirt on MG when it's warranted, me included. I'm hoping this post was due to frustrations over the nature of your complaint with MG and I hope one way or another you can get it sorted (y)

Take the car back to the dealership and ask that they rebalance the battery to obtain 449v and an imbalance of 0.020v. It will take about 10 to 15 days to do this. They also need to ensure the latest BMS 0210622EU1 is installed.

I had to have my dealer balance my battery due to similar problems due to the bad BMS. I bought a OBD II dongle and using the software obtained from a link on this forum was able to confirm the correct BMS, soc, soh, battery voltage, and cell imbalance. All is now well and am getting a max range of 187miles in eco mode.

I was not my fault the bad BMS was installed on my vehicle therefore this recognised fault should be rectified by the dealership.

If the dealership refuses to carry out the above suggested actions then you would have a course of legal action against the dealership with whom you have a contract.

The problem is, his battery voltage is 96% of 449v, so the warranty wouldn't cover it.
I know it's inconvenient to be without the car for a while but I would let them try and fix it first and if it's not up to 449v after they have done what they're doing to it then start looking at legal action.

The problem is, his battery voltage is 96% of 449v, so the warranty wouldn't cover it.
I know it's inconvenient to be without the car for a while but I would let them try and fix it first and if it's not up to 449v after they have done what they're doing to it then start looking at legal action.
I got the impression that the dealer wasn't playing ball.... otherwise to be honest other than it being a bit annoying and pants, if they give you a hire car and do all of the rebalancing for you, there's no reason to take it further - of course demand the free service for the inconvenience!

I don't think the voltage is proportionate to the SOH like that.
I'm not sure what actual voltage 70% capacity is, we could work it out pretty easily. I've been thinking about trying to produce a graph of the voltage/charge discharge rate, the trouble is need to do lots of short journeys to plot the data and we tend to do mainly long journeys in our car.
- Is it 70% SOH the warranty?

Last edited:
The response is factually correct. Your claim is in contract and your contract is with dealer, if on finance, the contract is between the dealer and financer so involve them in your discussions.

This seems to be a widespread problem. In my view it should have justified a recall to fix the corrupted update. It seems quite wrong to say it is down to the customer to suffer inconvenience and hours of time fixing a faulty product

I would have to say that the problem with your car is entirely down to the fault of MG UK.
they are the party that caused the issue by producing a Faulty update and installing that in your vehicle. Any resulting issues with the vehicle is their responsibility. No matter how they word their response the resultant problems with the car battery imbalance is entirely their responsibility as it was caused by their negligence in producing a faulty update, that is a fact that cannot be denied. It is up to MG UK to make sure the vehicle is returned to an acceptable working condition. The 70% battery capacity is not a valid issue as that refers to the battery depleting over a period of use. The issue here is that the vehicle has not been returned to a useable standard since the update.
although Most owners have done months of rebalancing on the battery it still does not change the fact, MG fudgeed it up, it is their responsibility to fix it. That means the rebalancing is legally their issue not the vehicle owners responsibility.

Unfortunately the contract is with the dealer who sold the car, not MG.

I’ve never heard of any dispute case where MG have taken over and actually sorted it out. I’d be very happy to hear if anyone has had one. MG sub-contract their call centre too.

I do wonder how much of this is Chinese culture/influence rubbing off on MG UK.

Historically, the Chinese norm, (where western companies are not calling the shots), is to pretty much ignore any warrantee on a product in the event of an issue after the sale, this is especially true where foreigners are concerned. The loss of future sales/business/reputation just isn't worried about in the same way a western company would view things.

I've bought components for projects from China over the last 20 years, generally they have been great, and a fraction of the price of western country supplied equivalents, but the few issues I have had, never did get properly dealt with under warranty!

I do wonder how much of this is Chinese culture/influence rubbing off on MG UK.

Historically, the Chinese norm, (where western companies are not calling the shots), is to pretty much ignore any warrantee on a product in the event of an issue after the sale, this is especially true where foreigners are concerned. The loss of future sales/business/reputation just isn't worried about in the same way a western company would view things.

I've bought components for projects from China over the last 20 years, generally they have been great, and a fraction of the price of western country supplied equivalents, but the few issues I have had, never did get properly dealt with under warranty!
Bit of a crass generalisation there Paulie?

Bit of a crass generalisation there Paulie?
Maybe, but just my experience of buying Chinese products from China for 20+ years.

It may have changed recently, but the culture is exactly the same in Russia as well. That comes from Russian friends I know, so maybe it's a throwback to Communist attitudes?

Some are good some are bad. Sometimes, the only advantages of buying from UK suppliers for electrical components is the speed of delivery and returns. Nine times out of ten, the component are exactly the same ones but more expensive from UK suppliers. I always use Paypal for purchases if I can, that way if there's a problem, I can usually (100% so far) get my money back. Amazon are excellent at returns as well.

Dear Mr

If that is the action you wish to pursue, then you should discuss with your selling retailer as they hold your contract of sale.

In addition, if there is finance on the vehicle, then you should contact your finance company as they are the legal owners of the vehicle.

Although MG Motor UK Ltd are not part of this discussion, due to the age and mileage of the vehicle, then any settlement (if agreed) would be based on the current value of the vehicle and not the original purchase price of the car.

I will reiterate that there is no fault present on the vehicle and your dealership Gallaghers MG are carrying out cell rebalancing to assist you as a gesture of goodwill.

I have copied in the Aftersales Manager of Gallaghers in Warrington, so that he is aware that you have contacted us.

I am truly sorry that my reply has not met with your expectations on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Gary Smart
Sorry to be dense but can someone tell me what this is all about?

Sorry to be dense but can someone tell me what this is all about?
Yep, A faulty software update to the battery management system has caused battery cells to go significantly out of balance in some cars. As a result the car limits charging to protect the out of balance cells from being overcharged. This results in a much lower terminal voltage than normal and a much reduced driving range.

The issue has generally been dealt with in a shoddy manner by MGUK and some dealers. (Some dealers have been excellent as well!)

Dear Mr

Yours sincerely

Gary Smart
Customer service words, no resolution or accepting ownership of the problem, i.e their Faulty Software Update which CAUSED the issue

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom