Does my new car have a tracker?

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m picking up a 2022 LR ZS EV trophy connect very soon and I’m sorting out the insurance.

One questions asks if it has a tracker and what name is it?

Anyone know? The app “tracks” it I’m sure..?

Thanks. It asks for the name of the tracker (start typing and the name will appear…)

Tried MG, app, … ?
Mmm?

Thanks.
Here
Saic
Mg
ISMART
Morris

……doesn’t yield anything.

It’s with Tesco bank and has a search bar.

Ones I’ve found by trying random letter combinations are:

Glo smart
Smart track
Traffic master
Track star
Cobra
Landrover
Lambo
Mtrac
Alpha micro
Aston Martin
Bike track
Hgv
Mclaren
Meta system

May be it needs to be Thatcham Approved?
Or give Tesco's a call they may need to add it to the factory list
Or it may just not be good enough for it to be approved?

The ZS does not have a "Tracker" in the sense that the insurance cares about... It has location services for parking so you don't lose it in a huge car park.

From an insurance point of view a tracker is a system that has 24/7 monitoring, usually with some form of ops centre and the police can use them to locate the vehicle... As far as I am aware, none of the manufacturer apps that provide these parking services are classified as "Trackers" for insurance purposes.

The ZS does not have a "Tracker" in the sense that the insurance cares about... It has location services for parking so you don't lose it in a huge car park.

From an insurance point of view a tracker is a system that has 24/7 monitoring, usually with some form of ops centre and the police can use them to locate the vehicle... As far as I am aware, none of the manufacturer apps that provide these parking services are classified as "Trackers" for insurance purposes.
Agreed, however, I did see a story where someone had their car stolen and were able to give police a running commentary of where the car was and where it was heading. The police caught up with them, made an arrest, and the guy got his car back within the hour. You might be able to Google the story. :)

Agreed, however, I did see a story where someone had their car stolen and were able to give police a running commentary of where the car was and where it was heading. The police caught up with them, made an arrest, and the guy got his car back within the hour. You might be able to Google the story. :)
This is 100% a solid use case... I have heard of similar incidents with mobile phones, unfortunately though as far as insurance is concerned, until the apps are accredited (which most companies won't do because of cost and additional work) they won't recognise them as a "tracker"... The phone apps are also a really sore subject as it relies on people removing the car when they sell it (I was able to track my BMW all the way down to Bristol when I sold it, I took it off when I remembered I was still logged in) so buying a second hand car with a smart app leaves it open for someone to be able to track your whereabouts, and if they happen to have a spare key, well... they could theoretically steal the car back and sell on etc... or simply sell the key and location of the car. Admittedly this is an extreme and niche example, but not beyond the realms of possibility, and as someone who works in cyber security (specifically with connected and autonomous vehicles) it is something that makes my skin crawl... I don't want to break down the MG app to see what that is doing in the background and what information it is sending to China lol

This is 100% a solid use case... I have heard of similar incidents with mobile phones, unfortunately though as far as insurance is concerned, until the apps are accredited (which most companies won't do because of cost and additional work) they won't recognise them as a "tracker"... The phone apps are also a really sore subject as it relies on people removing the car when they sell it (I was able to track my BMW all the way down to Bristol when I sold it, I took it off when I remembered I was still logged in) so buying a second hand car with a smart app leaves it open for someone to be able to track your whereabouts, and if they happen to have a spare key, well... they could theoretically steal the car back and sell on etc... or simply sell the key and location of the car. Admittedly this is an extreme and niche example, but not beyond the realms of possibility, and as someone who works in cyber security (specifically with connected and autonomous vehicles) it is something that makes my skin crawl... I don't want to break down the MG app to see what that is doing in the background and what information it is sending to China lol
That's why when you sell or buy a car with smart apps, you should reset the head unit to factory default. :)

Agree about the insurance. They want a tracker which is monitored by a 3rd party who can do all the work of finding the car so they don't have to.

I think tesco was happy with the factory fit as price was the same as a aftermarket one being fitted?
On saying that a monitored system is better
although the mg one is not technically monitored it will send push notifications ie your alarm has been activated

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom