• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Does the MG4 come with keyless entry?

Are you considering buying a faraday pouch/box for your keys?

• Yes

• No

• Already have one

Results are only viewable after voting.

FiferMG4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I’m envious of all the forum members who are picking up their cars now or in the near future. I’ve put down a £200 deposit for a white SE long range (the dealer has said it won’t be delivered until January, 2023) after watching this review:

Anyway, my question for all MG4 owners, does the car have keyless entry? If it does, then I’m thinking of buying a faraday pouch for the keys just to be on the safe side. Hopefully, that will improve security.

I’m envious of all the forum members who are picking up their cars now or in the near future. I’ve put down a £200 deposit for a white SE long range (the dealer has said it won’t be delivered until January, 2023) after watching this review:

Anyway, my question for all MG4 owners, does the car have keyless entry? If it does, then I’m thinking of buying a faraday pouch for the keys just to be on the safe side. Hopefully, that will improve security.

Good Morning!

Nice to see a fellow fifer MG4 in the forums - I’m picking my black SE SR up on Wednesday, unfortunately no LR available anywhere I could find!

First to answer your question - both SE & Trophy have keyless entry and go which means no start stop button just get in the seat, foot on the brake, set to drive / reverse and go like the winds!

I can confirm white also looks very sleek in person, fingers crossed all goes smoothly for you.

Good Morning!

Nice to see a fellow fifer MG4 in the forums - I’m picking my black SE SR up on Wednesday, unfortunately no LR available anywhere I could find!

First to answer your question - both SE & Trophy have keyless entry and go which means no start stop button just get in the seat, foot on the brake, set to drive / reverse and go like the winds!

I can confirm white also looks very sleek in person, fingers crossed all goes smoothly for you.
Good Morning! Thank you for the warm welcome. Likewise, it’s nice to see a fellow MG4 Fifer! I shall look out for you on the local roads, though I imagine there should be plenty of us in a year’s time.

You must be excited! Not long to wait though. Yeah, my dealer is Perth MG, but like I said their next shipment won’t be until late January. The dealer said they’ve had huge interest in the MG4: Perth MG dealer website

Thank you for answering my question and as Jomarkh said, you never know what signals are being sent out and being picked up by sticky fingers. It’s a very small investment to make, but well worth getting a pouch.

Let us know how you get on, with plenty of photos! Black will be very smart indeed. 😃

Good Morning! Thank you for the warm welcome. Likewise, it’s nice to see a fellow MG4 Fifer! I shall look out for you on the local roads, though I imagine there should be plenty of us in a year’s time.

You must be excited! Not long to wait though. Yeah, my dealer is Perth MG, but like I said their next shipment won’t be until late January. The dealer said they’ve had huge interest in the MG4: Perth MG dealer website

Thank you for answering my question and as Jomarkh said, you never know what signals are being sent out and being picked up by sticky fingers. It’s a very small investment to make, but well worth getting a pouch.

Let us know how you get on, with plenty of photos! Black will be very smart indeed. 😃
Absolutely & welcome indeed! have a look on those Dunfermline & Kirkcaldy roads - I’ll be around!

I have actually been to the Perth branch but they had no shipments due - they are relatively new to the MG dealer franchise I believe - they are quoting 16 weeks delivery as standard across all branches which is a little bit optimistic in my personal experience with MG currently still waiting on a ZS EV for 8 months and still hasn’t arrived… on a whole different topic!

Seems a lot of cars are manufactured and sent for launch and then this causes a peak interest and then everyone ends up waiting months more than expected. My dealer did however shed some light the new MG4 as part of a complete new platform is built in a bespoke EV factory which could mean they can meet demand muck quicker.

I actually rang around all of the scotland branches to only find one dealer with a Trophy demo - most seem to be SE & SR variants so if anyone manages to find one give me a shout!

My SR SE actually had privacy glass which will be non standard (it was a mistake on the launch batch of 1000 cars)

Happy Driving & keep me updated!

Yep the MG4 has keyless as standard which is great, it would be good if MG or someone can confirm if the key becomes “ radio silent” when it’s not moved like my merc keyless key does. This is the best way to prevent “hijacking or relay theft” a good faraday bag will work, but some seam to leak after a while.

The neighbours across from us had people get into their car, took a handbag and some newly bought clothes from the boot. They were walking around with a backpack presumably with a repeater in and checking which cars unlocked. They aren't able to drive away as the signal would be lost but they can get into your car and take what they want, a faraday pouch is a must!

I believe that unless you hang your key to your front door, it's a non-issue that only becomes relevant when it's slow news day and/or someone does another 'proof of concept' to relay / hack keyless systems. I've had Keyless entry for 10 years and no problems yet.

Perhaps I'd see things differently if we were talking about a high-end luxury or supercar, the kind that makes you a "target", but we're talking about a mid-range EV here - I'm not leaving Gucci clothes behind, chances are that my Type 2 and V2L cables are the most valuable thing in the boot. And it's far more likely that someone puts a brick through the side window, before they attempt a sophisticated RF-Relay attack.

Putting the key in a faraday pouch defeats its purpose - I put it in my pocket in the morning and don't even think about it until I change trousers - the whole point being that I don't even want to touch the key to get into my car, so I certainly wouldn't bother fiddling with a faraday pouch.

Absolutely & welcome indeed! have a look on those Dunfermline & Kirkcaldy roads - I’ll be around!

I have actually been to the Perth branch but they had no shipments due - they are relatively new to the MG dealer franchise I believe - they are quoting 16 weeks delivery as standard across all branches which is a little bit optimistic in my personal experience with MG currently still waiting on a ZS EV for 8 months and still hasn’t arrived… on a whole different topic!

Seems a lot of cars are manufactured and sent for launch and then this causes a peak interest and then everyone ends up waiting months more than expected. My dealer did however shed some light the new MG4 as part of a complete new platform is built in a bespoke EV factory which could mean they can meet demand muck quicker.

I actually rang around all of the scotland branches to only find one dealer with a Trophy demo - most seem to be SE & SR variants so if anyone manages to find one give me a shout!

My SR SE actually had privacy glass which will be non standard (it was a mistake on the launch batch of 1000 cars)

Happy Driving & keep me updated!
I shall certainly keep an eye out for you! 😎 I live near Cupar, so the A91 and A92 are my regular roads, though I do enjoy visiting the East Neuk via B roads.

Oh, I’m sorry to hear you’ve been waiting so long for your ZS. Fingers crossed it gets shipped soon! Speaking of Perth MG and shipments, I’ve just got off the phone speaking with the dealer. I had a question about standard cables and charging. He sounded very excited as they’d just received their first transporter lorry shipment of MG4s. 😃 Not fifteen minutes before I phoned.

That‘s very encouraging news about the bespoke EV manufacturing plant. Yeah, they should be able to ramp up production as just from comments on YouTube videos there’s great interest amongst the UK public for this car. Like myself, there will be other people who see this car as a good introduction to EV motoring. It’s got the looks, range, equipment and the cherry on the top, pricing!

That’s a bit of luck about the rear privacy glass. I guess mine will just be standard.

Yep the MG4 has keyless as standard which is great, it would be good if MG or someone can confirm if the key becomes “ radio silent” when it’s not moved like my merc keyless key does. This is the best way to prevent “hijacking or relay theft” a good faraday bag will work, but some seam to leak after a while.
Sorry, I’m not sure if the key becomes radio silent. Perhaps other members will know.
Even though my car is not scheduled for delivery until January, I went ahead and got a faraday pouch off Amazon. I went for the medium. Here’s the link if anyone is interested: Amazon link to product

And here are a few photos I took of it. It was £9 and comes in a pack of two. It’s about as wide as a wallet, but slightly longer. It fits in my trouser pocket just fine and should give me added peace of mind.

Attachments

• 0F7C3321-29BA-4770-8BF1-01D7425E6484.jpeg
    0F7C3321-29BA-4770-8BF1-01D7425E6484.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 73EE99DF-C0DC-4473-9FC0-027AD6832B64.jpeg
    73EE99DF-C0DC-4473-9FC0-027AD6832B64.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 394BC90A-83B4-4269-8106-188E58F0FB1C.jpeg
    394BC90A-83B4-4269-8106-188E58F0FB1C.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 91
The neighbours across from us had people get into their car, took a handbag and some newly bought clothes from the boot. They were walking around with a backpack presumably with a repeater in and checking which cars unlocked. They aren't able to drive away as the signal would be lost but they can get into your car and take what they want, a faraday pouch is a must!
Thanks for the heads up. It never ceases to amaze me that there are people whose mentality is to think it’s easier to steal than work for something.

I believe that unless you hang your key to your front door, it's a non-issue that only becomes relevant when it's slow news day and/or someone does another 'proof of concept' to relay / hack keyless systems. I've had Keyless entry for 10 years and no problems yet.

Perhaps I'd see things differently if we were talking about a high-end luxury or supercar, the kind that makes you a "target", but we're talking about a mid-range EV here - I'm not leaving Gucci clothes behind, chances are that my Type 2 and V2L cables are the most valuable thing in the boot. And it's far more likely that someone puts a brick through the side window, before they attempt a sophisticated RF-Relay attack.

Putting the key in a faraday pouch defeats its purpose - I put it in my pocket in the morning and don't even think about it until I change trousers - the whole point being that I don't even want to touch the key to get into my car, so I certainly wouldn't bother fiddling with a faraday pouch.
That’s good to hear that you’ve never had any issues. 👍 Never having had keyless entry on a car, it’s all new to me.

On the Trophy there is a "Bluetooth Key", not sure if that is the key fob connecting via Bluetooth or your phone via the iSmart app. If it's the key itself I would hope that it's more secure than standard.

On the Trophy there is a "Bluetooth Key", not sure if that is the key fob connecting via Bluetooth or your phone via the iSmart app. If it's the key itself I would hope that it's more secure than standard.
Interesting. Is it only the Trophy model that comes with the iSmart app or do all models come with that do you know?

All MG4 models support the iSmart app ... but some of the interactive features (such as using your phone as the car key) are only (currently) available on the Trophy model. (Or so I understand)

All MG4 models support the iSmart app ... but some of the interactive features (such as using your phone as the car key) are only (currently) available on the Trophy model. (Or so I understand)
Thanks for that. Hope it’ll become standard across the range.

While the faraday bags for the keys are fine when you are at home to stop theft, but I personally can only see them being useful if you have a habit of leaving l your keys close to front door or window. But you must have to take them out of the bag to enable the car to receive the signal from the key ? We have 2 cars with keyless Start / Entry and our simple solution is to have the keys at least 10 feet away from the front of the house.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back