• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Driver Car door handle sticking!

There was a video on YouTube of a guy taking the handle off and filing down a protrusion on the handle that causes this.
(can't find it now 😞)

Thanks everyone. my MG is giving me the same problem but only on the drivers door. Given it a squirt of WD40. I’ve silcone spray as well but I’ll give the oil based stuff a try first.
Our previous ZS EV Gen 1 did the same on the drivers door, after a couple of months.
It started to stick in the almost fully out position and not return fully.
Our ZS EV facelift did similar, but only sticking slightly on the O/S/R handle, after only a couple of weeks, after taking delivery.
Extend the handle fully, then spray some dry PTFE spray or some white lithium grease spray into the plastic parts of the handle.
Work the handle in and out a number of times, then extend the handle an apply a little more spray again.
The white lithium spray grease can be used on the door(s) / boot / bonnet and charge port hinge and locking mechanisms.

The MG garage technician told me that the problem is that the doors are painted with no masking on the holes where the locks fit in final assembly. Consequently the paint has beaded on the edges of the holes and this causes the handles to stick. However, on my car the whole mechanism had broken and required a new lock.

That's because it's not intended to be a lubricant, It's a water dispersant (hence the name).
WD40 is fine for lubrication but attracts dust and dirt, it is designed with water dispersion in mind.

16 years in the oil blending industry taught me to not to think the same. as i initially did.

WD40 seems to work ok at stopping the progress of surface rust on already rusting parts.
I sprayed some on my ZS's front chassis rails where they meet the front crossmember where there was some surface rust and flaky paint.

Kithmo - do you prefer the ZS or the MG5?
I have an E series Merc estate but was considering changing it. However, it does 500miles to a tank of diesel.

Kithmo - do you prefer the ZS or the MG5?
I have an E series Merc estate but was considering changing it. However, it does 500miles to a tank of diesel.
We have the first gen Exclusive models of each so the ZS has more toys but the 5 has more range, is slightly more efficient and is better to drive.

Useful info, thanks. I suspect I’ll stick with being able to be 4-up with full luggage and a dog for 500 miles will win the day, for now at least.

My drivers door handle has been a bit sticky since I got it a year ago!
Today went out the door had locked but the handle was out just a little!

I could not get out!! Had to crawl over to passenger side and get out that way :)

Think it is time for silicone.

This what I used on both of my ZS EV models, when some of the exterior handles decided to stick slightly.
I also used this spray to apply lub to the locks / catches on my wife’s Fiat 500.
It is very common for the exterior handle door handle hinge to seize and then fail on this model.
It will require the complete exterior door handle to be replaced to rectify this problem should it fail !.
A bit of preventative maintenance could have avoided this failure outcome.

Mine's started sticking to the door with frost, time for some de-icer on them methinks. ;)

FWIW, here in Australia this has had nothing to do with ice or cold: sticking always occurs after heavy rain and/or humidity. A regular silicon spray seems to have solved this.
Yes I had that too in the Summer when I first got it, silicon spray did the trick.

My drivers door handle has been a bit sticky since I got it a year ago!
Today went out the door had locked but the handle was out just a little!

I could not get out!! Had to crawl over to passenger side and get out that way :)

Think it is time for silicone.
Open window & smack handle back in?

Same issue with ZS G1. Used WD40 and sorted it for now but the rear door behind drivers door was bad to the point it wouldn’t open but only on every second pull. I opened door and could see the latch wasn’t opening on every pull of the handle so blasted with WD40 and seems to have resolve it for now. Will look at other lubricants.
Does anyone know if the warranty will cover this issue if the handle does fail or stop working at any point? It’s 2020 so 4 years into warranty at this point.

This one is always good to have, they also make the Silicone and other variants ( classic blue) but this lubricates better.
Yes, the silicone spray is the right one to be using for this application. The door handles tend to stick after bad weather, but after using this spray a couple of years ago, has not stuck again since.

[ Edit Coulomb: silicon → silicone ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom