• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Driver Car door handle sticking!

EV2020

Standard Member
Reaction score
My driver door handle sticks and the handle remains in pulled out position and I didn't realise this and I was struggling to understand why the car door is not locking from inside and luckily another guy who was watching me have signalled me about the door handle which was in pulled out position.

This is very strange and never expected on a new car bought in last month and my dealer Bushey Heath is not good in responding promptly. Do I need to raise this with the dealer or any service outlet near by?

Thank you for help.

My driver door handle sticks and the handle remains in pulled out position and I didn't realise this and I was struggling to understand why the car door is not locking from inside and luckily another guy who was watching me have signalled me about the door handle which was in pulled out position.

This is very strange and never expected on a new car bought in last month and my dealer Bushey Heath is not good in responding promptly. Do I need to raise this with the dealer or any service outlet near by?

Thank you for help.
Hi.
As many things in life also door handles also needs a little lubrication once in while, we have done it also and now they work fine. Use a spray bottle with a long nozzle, silicone or PTFE variants all work fine.

Last edited:
This one is always good to have, they also make the Silicone and other variants ( classic blue) but this lubricates better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210214-154936.jpg
    Screenshot_20210214-154936.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 211

Thank you for help.
Probably not helped by the present cold spell.
Any water finding its way behind the handle can freeze and cause the sticking.
I always spray a little water dispersant in locks, handles and door mirrors to help prevent ice forming.

I had the same issue from autumn, will try the sprays, I was thinking of contacting dealer. It was also only the driver side!

I sprayed some silicone spray on mine and on the door lock button as that seemed stick when frosty, no problem since. Must get round to doing the rest of the handles. The boot handle also sticks on mine when we've had a freeze, then thaw, then freeze again as a small pool of water gathers in the bottom of the recess as it thaws then freezes into a small blob of ice.

I extended all four handles one by one this morning and gave them a quick blast of WD40.
My brothers ZS EV had an external sticky drivers door handle a few weeks ago, we used WD40 and it has been fine after.

Sticky door handles is a common complaint. I mentioned it to the dealer when in for its first service and it was remedied.

I was always under the impression that WD40 is more of a cleaner than a lubricator. It is slippery when first applied and is useful for 'loosing stuff' but is probably not the best thing to use for this particular application.

I agree WD40 is not best lubricant but works well as a water dispersant.
Hopefully preventing ice forming.
If you still feel the need - a follow up with lubricant, as Kithmo suggests, might be the best solution.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll give a try with the lubricants, hoping it goes well but one thing I feel worthwhile to mention is I never had this issue with my old cars (Toyota Landcruiser and Nissan) and that makes suspicion on the underlying MG handle lever issue not blaming completely on weather.

I rather do a little lubrication once In a while, then having the electronic doors on the new Ford Mustang March-E. Interesting to see how people get along with those!😅

I have problems with the door handles. Where they remain in the pulled out position it is caused by the paint used on UK cars being within the apertures in the doors. Most production the apertures are blanked off for spraying so no paint in the aperture itself. MG UK specified that they wanted the apertures painted but clearances are too small. That info came from my MG dealer.

On one rear door I have a more serious problem - the door cannot be opened at all. The mechanism appears to be stuck between open and closed. The dealer says they have to remove the internal door panel, remove the plastic vapour cover and drill out the door lock then replace it all. I assume all under warranty. Waiting for parts.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll give a try with the lubricants, hoping it goes well but one thing I feel worthwhile to mention is I never had this issue with my old cars (Toyota Landcruiser and Nissan) and that makes suspicion on the underlying MG handle lever issue not blaming completely on weather.
My Toyota Prius door handles stick, not fully open but not quite closed.

Only had my MG HS PHEV less than a month. Noticed sticking drivers handle in first few days. Nothing to do with weather. Have seen a fix on YouTube where small plastic bumps are files off inside lock to solve problem on ZS. Would seem to be a production issue. Going to get dealer to sort it as car is brand new and under warranty.

WD40 original, dries out, and loses its lubricant quality, use a silicon or PTFE as above it retains the lubricant qualities longer than the plain WD40. WD40 is fine for a quick fix though
Thanks everyone. my MG is giving me the same problem but only on the drivers door. Given it a squirt of WD40. I’ve silcone spray as well but I’ll give the oil based stuff a try first.

WD40 original, dries out, and loses its lubricant quality, use a silicon or PTFE as above it retains the lubricant qualities longer than the plain WD40. WD40 is fine for a quick fix though
That's because it's not intended to be a lubricant, It's a water dispersant (hence the name).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom