• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Driver screen too bright/distracting at night - sort of fixed...

TonyWilk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Had my MG4 Trophy few weeks, generally great, I can put up with most of the 'foibles' except the driver screen...
a) drowsiness/get a coffee is very distracting esp. at night
b) speed symbol flashing (esp. white/black stripe on the motorway at night)
c) it's just too bright (on minimum setting)
Just fitted piece of grey perspex over it with black electrical tape down the sides... fixed :)

Bought a piece of 3mm Dark Transparent Grey Perspex, 180mm x 120mm, 4 radius Corners, Polished edges from
Soden Plastics for £8.28 + postage.

Yes, I know you shouldn't have to mess about like this with a brand new car - but I think it was dangerously distracting and this works fine for me. Difficult to show in a photo but --->
Car Screen.jpg

Think an extra bit of tape where the warnings appear might be next ;)

Fair play that you've fixed your issue but a £32k brand new car that you have to use tape and tinted perspex to fix is pretty poor. Surely it couldn't have been that difficult to give more adjustability with the brightness of the screen.

Good tip.
Can you also report to your dealer and MG that you find the screen too bright. You won't get a solution from either but it might start the process of a software update in the future.

Yep its crazy bright at night

And to have only 3 settings, all of which knock about 1 candlepower off the sun on level 11 display is crazy, hopefully software update to calm it down in the future, Will try a similar solution for now,

Am I the only one who doesn't find it a problem? I can keep my eyes on the road without being distracted by the driver screen, in fact I find the infotainment screen to be more of a distraction really.

I've not driven in the dark yet so I've not noticed screen brightness. (Although I did set it to minimum right away when I first got the car). I'm going into the office tomorrow so I'll experience it then as it'll be dark when I set off, and dark when I come home. :)

Am I the only one who doesn't find it a problem? I can keep my eyes on the road without being distracted by the driver screen, in fact I find the infotainment screen to be more of a distraction really.
It might annoy me more being only 5' 5" maybe ??
I put the info screen on Nav set to dark which I think is the least distracting.

For the last few years I've found that a combination of middle age and the obnoxiously bright headlights of modern vehicles has forced me to wear tinted glasses for night driving.
Maybe that will suffice for the glare of the 4's screens without going blue peter on it ?
Crap design though, why can't they get such a basic but crucial setting correct ?

You could say that about a few aspects of the car

OK - I've now driven in the dark, and ... I find the driver screen brightness to be OK - not really intrusive. (Infotainment screen I've set to the Dark theme).

As an aside ... the headlights on my car are fine, and the auto-main-beam works good. (And I don't find the light switch at all awkward).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back