Dropping out of EV mode

ivanlawton

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi all. My first post. Had my PHEV for 4 months now and have had some problems with it, requiring 2 weeks back with the dealer. However, it still drops out of EV mode sometimes, even if battery is fully charged. I start each day with the same trip and 2.3 KM down the road it drops out. It refuses to enter EV mode until it has gone about 4.5 KM. Further starts later in the day seems to be OK. ie it stays in EV mode.
Anyone else with similar issues???

Hi
You find if it does not meet the requirements for EV it will drop out, if you have the heating set and the fan running it will drop out. Have looked in the user manual where you will find a list that tells you the requirements for EV.

Two other things you may find.
when using both the ICE and Engine you will find at 30 MPH that the engine revs will be high then after about 10 seconds it will find the next gear and the the revs will come down.

when in EV and get up to 44 MPH you will find that you think you have lost power to the drive then it picks back up, again its seem to be looking for the next gear to drop into. There have been no software update for this to be fixed.

Hi
You find if it does not meet the requirements for EV it will drop out, if you have the heating set and the fan running it will drop out. Have looked in the user manual where you will find a list that tells you the requirements for EV.

Two other things you may find.
when using both the ICE and Engine you will find at 30 MPH that the engine revs will be high then after about 10 seconds it will find the next gear and the the revs will come down.

when in EV and get up to 44 MPH you will find that you think you have lost power to the drive then it picks back up, again its seem to be looking for the next gear to drop into. There have been no software update for this to be fixed.
It's reassuring to know these are common faults, I get all of them.

In EV mode, I also get a second acceleration failure at 120 kph (I'm in Holland with the EHS).

We had a day where the EV mode just would not be accepted. Switched off the AC and pressed the EV mode button and it worked. Switched on AC and it remained in EV mode- go figure...

They should have called it the MG XP after Windows XP !

Not connected to heater or AirCon being on. But could be happening as it's trying to seek a gear change. It always happens at the same spot on usually coasting (increasing speed) down a downhill road at about 50kph, but only on my first trip of the day. If I replicate the trip later in the day I don't get the same drop out issue. Beginning to think I should have bought a RAV4. Would not recommend this car to anyone.

I go to work and there is a hill just around the corner and if I go down with a full battery it will not hold back as the battery is full so will not use regeneration so feel like costing and increase speed but there’s a speed camera on the hill so have use the brake.
Just try this on you next morning out switch off the heating and AC with the left side button on the information screen in heating/ Ac section. All so turn down the temperature each side to 17 then do the trip in EV, let know what happens.

Just thinking about this there is a hill I been down a few times that near to the bottom my car will come out of EV, have not been down for some time but it was warm weather last time. Like you always the same place, I would think that there are censors on the system and if they see some that could damage the unit that they switch it out of EV.

I have found in my type of work you only get the correct answer if you speak directly with the people who design and manufacture the unit. They are the ones who know the units as they have done hours of testing and seem most of the problems which are not always past down.

Just thinking about this there is a hill I been down a few times that near to the bottom my car will come out of EV, have not been down for some time but it was warm weather last time. Like you always the same place, I would think that there are censors on the system and if they see some that could damage the unit that they switch it out of EV.

I have found in my type of work you only get the correct answer if you speak directly with the people who design and manufacture the unit. They are the ones who know the units as they have done hours of testing and seem most of the problems which are not always past down.

I bought my car at the end of July and for all my local running around including early mornings ran it in EV mode only without any problems. I enjoyed the silent, cheap, environmentally friendly motoring.
But a couple of weeks ago the weather changed to cold and now the car has to do a few miles before the system will permit EV being used.
I’ve covered just under 3k miles since buying the car and my average fuel consumption is showing a healthy 72mpg, but as winter has only just started I can see this figure dropping.
Mine is an attractive car in red, (looks like a Mazda C5), is comfortable, roomy, (I’m over 6’ and broad), and a lot cheaper to run than my LR Freelander SD4.
I‘ve bought an MG 21 registration from the DVLA to emulate my father who in the 40’s ran an MG M Type with an MG registration.

We had a day where the EV mode just would not be accepted. Switched off the AC and pressed the EV mode button and it worked. Switched on AC and it remained in EV mode- go figure...

They should have called it the MG XP after Windows XP !
MG ME not XP.. XP wasn't bad.. ME was neither Windows 98 nor XP :)

I am finding the best way to run in winter is when I get in to the car and set to ready is to switch the ventilation system to Auto the ICE will start but the ventilation fan will not come so this gives time for the ICE to warm up if I need to scrape the windows. You will find when the ICE is warm enough the fan will start slow then increase up in speed and start to clear front window. I drive a few miles then turn off Auto and A/C and set the fan to 3 or 4 speed and press the bottom button to send air to feet and screen and switch over to EV. After some time the ICE will cut in to top up the heat in the water for a mile then you can switch back to EV. Each day I only use a few miles of petrol.

My daily usage has been.
Drop a 2kW room heater in the car 20 mins prior to departure. That makes the cabin nice and warm. Get in the car on EV, switch heated seats. Get to a faster road (40 mph), push Auto for a mile or two and then start the demister to get fresh air and use engine heat, after 2 miles, swtich to EV again and drop the temp if it drops out of EV mode

I have highlighted the problem to MG Australia. They told me they'd have their experts follow up for me. The only thing I got was a call from the dealer to whom MG had obviously forwarded my complaint. After telling me he really didn't know much about these cars, the Service Manager at the the dealership wants the car back to do further tests. Go figure. It goes in January 4th. I'll let you know if any progress is made.

Hi
what is the point if the service manage say they do not know much about the car all the dealerships seem to be the same I would like to get to MG and be with someone from them to be with me in the car to see exactly the problem by the time it’s gone through 2 or 3 people the problem could have been distorted.
look forward to your update.

I have highlighted the problem to MG Australia. They told me they'd have their experts follow up for me. The only thing I got was a call from the dealer to whom MG had obviously forwarded my complaint. After telling me he really didn't know much about these cars, the Service Manager at the the dealership wants the car back to do further tests. Go figure. It goes in January 4th. I'll let you know if any progress is made.
Make sure you read the manual about the conditions required for EV only operation. One of them is that the Heating is not on . Only cooling.
I think the car is so advanced that most dealers dont have a clue about them! I get most of my knowlege about the quirks of the car from this forum !

Hi
I contacted my dealer service department and there was a young girl on the phone, I asked if could speak with a technician for car but she said they had them off with covid, so I said would call back. She asked me what it was about and give her a go to help me. I told her the problem and she said that the problem was know to her as they have two cars in for it. They have not found any fault codes and it seem to be what the car would do, the owners of the car would not drive them and they are in contact with MG Uk and took my details and would call me if there was any update to solve the problems, Fair play to her she could have just fob me off I was impressed.

Had the issue last Friday when the weather allowed for pure EV driving. I had the HVAC system off and was doing a 16 miles round trip all in EV. On the return journey after 6 miles the engine decided to kick in at 40mph. Pressed the EV button and allowed straight back to EV. I have put this down to one of those things rather than a fault.

As above, ICE needs to run when it's cold. I've set the heater to 18 degrees and run for about 2 miles non electric before switching - if the outside temperature is above about 6 degrees it's fine for the rest of my typical 8 mile run, if not it may switch back, but will then run as EV after another mile max.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom