Electric or hybrid?

MrG

Established Member
Reaction score
Was having a chat with a mechanic today about the ZS EV and he said, "Why would you think about going for an electric car when a hybrid makes much more sense?"

Any thoughts on this?

It all depends on your personal needs, what’s your normal maximum mileage daily commute or trip that you normally do?

About 15/20 miles per day. Weekends maybe up to 40 miles. The odd trip once or twice a year from London to further afield for staycations.

Average annual mileage is about 3000/4000 miles. Not a lot really.

Maybe a phev is the answer . Drive in ev mode most days and swith to hybrid mode for longer journeys with no range anxiety.

A hybrid would take a few miles to warm up to normal temp more so in winter so that 10 mile a day would be a fair bit driving on petrol alone

Low mileage. London location. Research local free charge points to top up whilst shopping. Why bother with petrol and needing a mechanic to change the oil once a year. Maybe that was his interest?

Most hybrids needs the engine to run for heat. So if your running short trips, you never use the electric when the weather is cold. Also you still have to pay road tax, congestion charge and some areas charge hybrids for residents permits, but exempt pure electric. Hybrids have higher servicing costs and more complex things break often. They are the great idea for that one or two journeys in a year, but for the rest of the year the hybrid's range would be wasted.

And if you really need the range for that once a year trip - hire a car, it would still be cheaper in the grand scheme of things and the once wise words from Jeremy Clarkson: "The fastest car is always a rental"

Buying a hybrid and driving it every day well within the parameters of an EV because you take a long trip once a year is like buying a 5 bedroom house and living in it alone because you have lots of family round for Christmas, in my opinion!

There’s a lot of this kind of thinking around though - I’ve heard people try to justify running a massive diesel for similar reasons.

Yeah, I would say that half measures are BS. I can tell you that no matter where you go, you'll want to be running the HVAC in some way (either warm in the winter or cool in the summer). Correct me if I'm wrong, but using the climate control in any way will negate running pure EV.

Go EV or ICE, not something in between.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom