EV Charging Cables: What to look for and avoid?

Mach13

Reaction score
Norfolk
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi folks
I'm in the market for a cable

Just wondering what the wealth of experience here can pull together about Charging cables since we all need one and will inevitably buy one at some point.

They seem to range from £99 to £190 for a 5m type 2 to type 2 32amp, but then there IP rating and construction quality etc...

Or is an EV cable just an EV cable?

Have you bought one that's specifically giving/given you problems?

What did you buy that you are happy with?

pjmuk

Reaction score
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Driving
MG5 EV
I bought the cheapest type 2 32A I could find. The only downside being it doesn't have rubber caps to cover the ends when not in use. I have a tethered Wall Box Pulsar at home so the type 2 is only for charging out and about. I'd recommend the cheapest you can find, but get one with the end caps and a bag. I got 5m, but with my MG5 parked front towards the charger, it's a bit if a pain to lay it out straight, which I've found to be important for charge rate. I'm tempted to buy a short one, or a longer one and reverse in!

AnonymouseDriva

Reaction score
Ormskirk
Driving
MG5 EV
Saw an interesting point made on the facebook group though. It's moot point for me as I got one with the car and would have bought one if I hadn't. What would you actually use the cable for?
Assuming that you have a tethered connection (or use the granny) at home, and would generally be looking for a rapid (which is always tethered) en route, where would you actually use it?

The person in question was therefore only using the type 2 cable to get his 'free' charges at the likes of Tescos.
He worked out that at the current rate, the cable would pay for itself in a couple of hundred years...

The consensus on the comments did seem to be that it's worth having one anyway though...

Lovemyev

Reaction score
North Wales
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a type 2 public charging cable in the boot.
Only used it about 5 times in two years because I have a tethered wall box.
However, I kind of figure that if you are left needing a charge due to a diversion from your original route etc.
Then you locate a 7 kw post, but you don’t have a cable, then you are likely to kick yourself !.
Then that money is well spent all of a sudden.
Each to there own I guess.

macd2401

Reaction score
Stonehouse, Scotland
Driving
MG ZS EV
I've got a cable specifically for when I can get the train into work. Then the car gets hooked up for a charge and balance.

Most of the time, I use rapids. But it's not the first time some of them have failed to work. A slow is always an option in an emergency, as long as you've got a cable.

Lovemyev

Reaction score
North Wales
Driving
MG ZS EV
A slow is always an option in an emergency, as long as you've got a cable.
I could not agree more.
Personally speaking, I can not understand why anybody would not carry a type 2 cable in the boot of their car to be honest.
Imagine you are out and about and you get diverted from your original planed route, you are now running low on charge and you check on your phone for the closest charger.
There are two free to use 7kw posts close by and you turn up to find you are unable to charge because you don’t have a cable.
How frustrating is that !.
If the car was supplied with a cable you are covered, but because it is an addition cost, some people fail to purchase one, I don’t get it ???.
It’s like running out of petrol and then turning up at a petrol station with out a can.
My guess is that folks who don’t purchase a cable, don’t have a spare wheel either.
WHY ?????.

Alb

Reaction score
Gloucestershire
Driving
MG5 EV
The proper MG Type 2 cable is one of those things that you can get thrown in for nothing at purchase if you haggle (that's how I got mine).
If I were purchasing one I'd be looking very closely at quality/specification and would definitely not buy on the basis of cost alone. I'd be making sure at least that it had fully moulded plugs and a 55 IP rating.

m4rmite

Reaction score
West Mids
Driving
MG5 EV
So does anyone have a recommendation for a specific type 2 cable ?
Single phase and option of 10m

bwanamdevu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Newark
Driving
MG5 EV
I bought the cheapest type 2 32A I could find. The only downside being it doesn't have rubber caps to cover the ends when not in use. I have a tethered Wall Box Pulsar at home so the type 2 is only for charging out and about. I'd recommend the cheapest you can find, but get one with the end caps and a bag. I got 5m, but with my MG5 parked front towards the charger, it's a bit if a pain to lay it out straight, which I've found to be important for charge rate. I'm tempted to buy a short one, or a longer one and reverse in!
Hi! What cable was it you bought and the supplier please! Looking to buy one in the next few weeks.

Reaction score
East Kilbride, Scotland
Driving
Not an MG
So does anyone have a recommendation for a specific type 2 cable ?
You could try one of these, IP55, fully moulded plugs & caps for both ends. Also includes a cable bag. Ooh, there is a discount code to use as well - mgev , when applied this cable comes out at £118.15 all in.

sido

Standard Member
Reaction score
Bath
Driving
MG5 EV
I have the MG cable supplied by dealer on delivery. My home charger is untethered so use it a lot. It is good quality and comes in logo storage bag. It comes with robust plugs and protective rubber caps. The cable is about 5 metres long. Dealers are looking to charge £189, so negotiating skills need to be deployed!

Ron61

Reaction score
Windsor and Maidenhead
Driving
MG5 EV
Hi Guys,

I paid £129 ish for my cable. I have currently covered 3,600 miles in 3 months and have spent a maximum of £20 on power because I normally charge at free 7kW chargers. My home electricity costs 18.5p per kWh. 3,600 miles at 4.3 miles per kWh = 837kWh of power x 18.5p = £154 - £20 (spent) means the cable has paid for it's self in 3 months.

Evan Jehlyst

Standard Member
Reaction score
Behind you
Driving
MG ZS EV
Back to OP's question -
You buy the cable NOT because you expect to use it, but because if you need to use it you have it.
Same as buying car insurance, you buy car insurance NOT because you expect to make a claim every year, you buy it because when you need to claim you can.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

2021 refresh MG ZS EV press launch update
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Top Bottom