• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

EV driving and fuel consumption - help a potential buyer

analcrocha

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello!

I’m from Portugal, where the fuel prices have been going up non-stop (as well as everywhere else, but our salaries are not going up as well).
So, i’m planning on buying a PHEV. I’ve seen and liked very much Renault Captur e-tech, I think it’s really the best concerning eletric tech, and I would have bought it if it wasn’t for the non-existent boot.
And then yesterday I went on a test drive of MG EHS and I LOVED IT! It’s big and great and a great boot (in comparison to Captur).

But there are a couple of things that concern me. The objetive is driving in EV mode basically always, as I do around 25-45km per day, excluding the ocasional long trip.

As the seller told me, on cold days the thermic motor stars when the car is started to be warm and ready to go when needed. I also learnt from this forum that when the heater is on, the thermic motor is necessarly on.

My questions are:
  • the fact that the thermic motor have to be on to do his thing doesn’t necessarily means that the car is being moved (at least exclusively) by that motor, right? As far as I understood from that graphic on the pannel that shows the energy flux, the thermic motor might be on and not putting energy for moving the car, just want to confirm that this is true
  • having this in mind, and having also in mind that I want to drive EV mode as much as possible, what are the fuel consumptions that are expected for heating the motor and the heater itself for the interior of the car? Are they relevant?

If older owners could show long therm fuel and energy consumption would also be great!

Thank you all in advance!

Hi!

I’ve been thinking to buy a hybrid car, lead my monetary as well as ambiental concerns, and I think it would be ideal for me.

I’ve tried Renault Captur and I really liked, and I think tech-wise it’s one of the best PHEVs available. Problem? The unexistent boot…
So yesterday I did a test-drive on a MG EHS PHEV and I loved everything about it - it‘s big, is great, big boot (well, at least compared to Captur…)

But I have a couple of doubts and I hope you can help me.

The seller explained that, specially on cold days, the thermic motor starts when the car is started, in order to be ready if/when needed. I also understood from this forum that the heater also demands the use of thermic motor.
Nevertheless, and as far as I undestood from the graphic that shows energy flux, the fact that the thermic motor is on doesn’t mean that it is the thermic motor that is giving the energy to move the car - or did I got it wrong?

Assuming I got it right, my question is: having in mind that the objetive is to drive always on EV (except for the ocasional long trip, I do 25-45km/day), how much gas it uses to warm up the thermic motor and using the heater when needed?

If the older owners could share their values of eletric and gas consumption would also be great!

Thanks in advance!

I’ve also been looking for other information: is it possible to programme the beginning of a charge? If I want to plug in at 6pm but want it to start charging at 10pm, is it possible?

Ok
it’s been frosty here in the uk a few mornings this week the In car engine ( ICE ) will start and this runs when cleaning the windows of ice. Going to work is 8 miles and for some of that the ICE will run then keep the heat set at 24 it will switch over on the Peres of the button to EV. Up until the weather started to cold I would on EV to and from work. At the present time I put in £40 of petrol which a tank, I would say you have a warmer climate in Portugal so you would be running on EV most of the time or you used the 32 miles of battery. It’s say I am doing 75 mpg a round town driving

Last edited:
Just seen you post on time charging, it has no control over time you will need a smart wall box that you can program.

Ok
it’s been frosty here in the uk a few mornings this week the In car engine ( ICE ) will start and this runs when cleaning the windows of ice. Going to work is 8 miles and for some of that the ICE will run then keep the heat set at 24 it will switch over on the Peres of the button to EV. Up until the weather started to cold I would on EV to and from work. At the present time I put in £40 of petrol which a tank, I would say you have a warmer climate in Portugal so you would be running on EV most of the time or you used the 32 miles of battery. It’s say I am doing 75 mpg a round town driving
Maybe my expectations are too high, and I know that 75mpg is good.

But if my lifestyle allows me to drive theoretically in EV mode all the time, shoudn’t the gas consumption be 0 or close to it? Is it the same in all hydrids or are these little details on MG (the heater works only with thermic motor, and the thermic motor always have to heat up) that leads to these values of MPG?

If you do not need the heating then you can drive up to the point the battery runs out.

My HS PHEV is happy to run on electric only in summer when temperatures are above 20C (ish) and the heater setting is at or lower than the outside temperature, but needs some time on petrol as the temperature drops. Its probably about 2km when the temp is 4 or 5C, nearer 4km yesterday when it was down to 1C, which lead to an overall average 56mpg / 4.2L per 100km on a 16 mile / 25.5km run. As you're in Portugal you may see better figures overall.

The vast majority of my trips are local, 32m / 50k electric will last me two days, and after doing that from early September to the end of October I had a long term average of 178 mpg / 1.32L per 100km. One return trip to the Vendee 240m / 386km each way with local electric use whilst I was there took that down to 61mpg / 3.85l per 100km. That's pretty much what my 1.6 diesel Octavia did all the time, but I guess the HS miles are cheaper being a mix of petrol and electric. Plus, much as I liked my Octavia, the HS is waaay more comfortable and better equipped.

My HS PHEV is happy to run on electric only in summer when temperatures are above 20C (ish) and the heater setting is at or lower than the outside temperature, but needs some time on petrol as the temperature drops. Its probably about 2km when the temp is 4 or 5C, nearer 4km yesterday when it was down to 1C, which lead to an overall average 56mpg / 4.2L per 100km on a 16 mile / 25.5km run. As you're in Portugal you may see better figures overall.

The vast majority of my trips are local, 32m / 50k electric will last me two days, and after doing that from early September to the end of October I had a long term average of 178 mpg / 1.32L per 100km. One return trip to the Vendee 240m / 386km each way with local electric use whilst I was there took that down to 61mpg / 3.85l per 100km. That's pretty much what my 1.6 diesel Octavia did all the time, but I guess the HS miles are cheaper being a mix of petrol and electric. Plus, much as I liked my Octavia, the HS is waaay more comfortable and better equipped.
I will have check my car tomorrow but I have been getting better then 56 mpg I done about 3 to 4 miles to work with both running then the rest of the way on EV temp set at 25 and fan speed set at 4 with no problem and it’s 8 miles to work.

I’ve also been looking for other information: is it possible to programme the beginning of a charge? If I want to plug in at 6pm but want it to start charging at 10pm, is it possible?
There is no built in timer. That said as long as car connects to the charger, you can pause the charge to be restarted later..

My usage last 40 days with full tank

6373881A-5D31-4103-935F-9A71D6863FB7.jpeg

From time before on £30 with Petrol (25l)
0471901E-FD86-47C1-9F5E-177E7ECB4DB5.jpeg

The home charger is a normal 10A device, and any corresponding 10A rated wall timer should suit if you want to restrict the charging times.
Mine is set up to charge only when the sun shines as I want to restrict my charging times to solar power.

My fuel consumption is 4l/100km and EV consumption is around 18kw/100km.
Note that for you this may differ depending on hills, need for heating and Air-conditioning and passenger load. Just remember to click the EV button at the beginning of your journey.

My recommendation however is, just forget about the consumption figures and enjoy the drive- its a beautiful car to drive !

Wow those are really impressive numbers! And I understand that you live in a cold place, looking at the temperatures!
Do you usually use the heater or not?
I do use the heater for first mile or two. Cabin is set to 18C and I have a go at EV button as often as I can

In EV mode
33 kWh for 100 miles or 3 miles / kWh

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1658EF50-F31A-4CCD-9982-53A4A47231CD.jpeg
    1658EF50-F31A-4CCD-9982-53A4A47231CD.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 147
  • DEF57695-D830-4EB2-BB8F-BD34A8A995B8.jpeg
    DEF57695-D830-4EB2-BB8F-BD34A8A995B8.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 155
That’s good what sort of road are on to get that.
I am stop start to work all 30 mph road this is my under
most usage is under 30 mph however a third is 5 / 6 times a week I drive to Tennis club upto 70mph. I tend to use it in EV mode as often as I can. In winter it has been fiddly TBH

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom