• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

EV Energy Tariff

rootes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, Is there any point in trying to move to an EV tariff currently? My current provider doesn't offer one, I guess most providers aren't taking new business.

I believe Octopus will put you on one if you call them but not via the website.

Hi, Is there any point in trying to move to an EV tariff currently? My current provider doesn't offer one, I guess most providers aren't taking new business.
It really depends on your existing tariff, if it is covered by the energy cap it should be around 25p or less per KWHr and will stay at that rate until April when it will be adjusted, almost certainly upwards.
so charging your car theoretically is costing you 25p per KWHr. Same as your domestic use.
the last quote I got from Octopus offered cheap rate from 00.30 to 04.30 at 5 p per KWHr but the normal rate was 40 p per KWHr. I use about 3000 kwhrs per annum domestically and estimate 2500 kWhrs of charging. did not make sense to move right now. It may come April though.
I am beginning to think Solar panels might be the direction of travel soon.

Suggest you do the numbers see if worth it, I do about 1200 mls/month, all local so 100% home charging ( Octopus) and all at the off peak rate so no brainer for me. ( 5p / 23p)

Current Octopus Go tariff is now 7.5p, 00:30 to 04:30, but the daily rate is a hideous 30p now, so may not work out that well depending on your use profile.
That's the quote I just got too from Octopus website.
I'm already on Octopus Go but wondered what the current rate was (my 5p/13.5p tariff ends in May)

In case it's of any use for anyone, I just earlier today popped some figures into a spreadsheet to see what new costs may look like, attached. Due to a move of work we'll be going from 20k to 11k annual mileage soon.

1641751523259.png

I am currently on SSE Fix and Drive which gave the equivalent of 8000 free miles , sadly ends this month after being on for one year , will go onto their Evergreen tariff at a cost of 20p per kwh
But should a better tariff come up , unlikely now , I can leave with no penalty

I don't know what the price cap currently is but my electric went up from 14p/kWh to 21p/kWh when BGas took over from People's Energy, a 50% rise. Now were being told to expect another 50% rise on the price cap in April by the media, so that could mean a 200% increase in 6 months, if what I'm on now is the price cap or more if BGas have currently put me on a deal that is less than the price cap. Very worrying, after April I could be paying more per mile for electric than I was for petrol.

I don't know what the price cap currently is but my electric went up from 14p/kWh to 21p/kWh when BGas took over from People's Energy, a 50% rise. Now were being told to expect another 50% rise on the price cap in April by the media, so that could mean a 200% increase in 6 months, if what I'm on now is the price cap or more if BGas have currently put me on a deal that is less than the price cap. Very worrying, after April I could be paying more per mile for electric than I was for petrol.
it is a massive hit. We are all being told to stay where we are, and from what I can see options to move better rates are few and far between. I hada fix with Eon which is now expired and am on their Flex lowest tarriff same price as your BG.21p/ KWHr. It may soon be cheaper to charge on the motorway!

My Go Electric tariff with EDF has gone from 21.53p to 25.02p peak rate, and from 8p to 13.5p off peak. Just spent a couple of hours in Burnham on Sea whilst the car got 15% charge at Tesco Pod-Point. Every little helps. :)

I am thinking its not worth charging at home if its going to cost me 21p a kw, especially when my bills are already £300 a month in the winter. If I go on another tariff with low electric price at night it means the day rate will go up, so any savings I make charging my car will be offset by the huge increase in the day rate.

Think I will stick to charging at work for free!

My contract with Scottish Power expired December. So renewed with them as advised not to change supplier. My new rat is 25ppk day 15ppk off peak 11:30 - 0630. Fixed 1 year hope they will not increase that in April 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I tried to lookup what the government price cap was - per kWh, impossible to get a straight answer. All they state effectively is it must cost an average family no more than x amount a year, no mention of how many kWh that is to find out a per kWh rate.
It would seem that every “area” has the cap calculated differently.
It’d be nice to see an official kWh cap rate from the government.
(Not that I can see btw how a gov price cap is workable given it’s all privatised and no company can - other than short term, sell for less than they pay)

I purchased my car a month ago, my energy supplier went bust and I'm now on the price cap with no EV tariff in sight, but as others mention we should do the math to see if its worth taking on an EV tariff if available. Not a great time to be starting my EV journey me thinks. 🤦‍♀️

My EDF rate is 20p fixed for three years with 30 months remaining so good rate. Can see them increasing the daily charge rate to get a bit more out of me but shall wait and see. Have made some enquiries about battery storage use average 8kWh a day. Unfortunately the local companies who install batteries have failed to respond to my enquiries not wanting solar may be the deal breaker. Happy to stick with my current supplier once I get a quote for storage I can do the maths on potential savings.

My EDF rate is 20p fixed for three years with 30 months remaining so good rate. Can see them increasing the daily charge rate to get a bit more out of me but shall wait and see. Have made some enquiries about battery storage use average 8kWh a day. Unfortunately the local companies who install batteries have failed to respond to my enquiries not wanting solar may be the deal breaker. Happy to stick with my current supplier once I get a quote for storage I can do the maths on potential savings.
Moixa do a smart battery only option. When I got a quote back in November a 7.2kw for £5,250 and a 9.6kw for £6,250.

Give them a shout for a quote & if you mentioned I’ve referred you you should get £200 off

In my area the octopus go rates are the following:

Unit rate (04:30 - 00:30):
31.31p/ kWh
Unit rate (00:30 - 04:30):
7.50p/ kWh
Standing Charge:

24.03p/ day

Not worth it. Nearly a 50 percent increase on the day rate compared to what I am paying now.

I'm on a fixed rate of 19.81p per kw until September 2023 with Octopus. Given that our milage was only 6,500 last year I'm wondering if it's worth switching to Octopus Go if after the off peak of 5p per kw the standard rate will increase to 24.24p per kw. Guess I'll have to work out the current (no pun intended!) non EV usage and estimate what the MG5 will use in a month, factoring in the better weather and likely increase in milage until the excitement of a new vehicle wears off!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom