• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Failed charge controler during BMS update. (Retitled)

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Thanks cardiff for ducking up the BMS. Not charging when unlocked, taking 5 hours to equalise and battery voltage is off (447v). The service was done on Wednesday. This is the dealership that gave the words "we dont do the HV update unless requested" when asked by a mandatory update....

Attachments

• 20210122_083928.jpg
    20210122_083928.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 167
I went to Nathaniel Cars on Penarth road to get my MG and when I asked them to do all the updates (before this new BMS one came out) they did it free of charge. May be worth giving them a shout?

I went to Nathaniel Cars on Penarth road to get my MG and when I asked them to do all the updates (before this new BMS one came out) they did it free of charge. May be worth giving them a shout?
Ignore that I just realised that this must be the one you are on about 🙄

Bridgend or Cwmbran are the nearest ones to Cardiff that may be worth a shout.

Bridgend or Cwmbran are the nearest ones to Cardiff that may be worth a shout.
I'm about to call Bridgend as its Cardiff's Head office (owned by same company). I've prepaid for 3 years service, otherwise would have used Cwmbran.
If I get no sense from them, Cwmbran can fix it. They did the comfort2 update for me and fixed the not timed charging last time in June.

I'm about to call Bridgend as its Cardiff's Head office (owned by same company). I've prepaid for 3 years service, otherwise would have used Cwmbran.
If I get no sense from them, Cwmbran can fix it. They did the comfort2 update for me and fixed the not timed charging last time in June.
Good to know. Keep us updated so that We know which one to go to for the update. I was planning to go to Bridgend as that is where I have my service plan.

Called bridgend - no appointments until March due to engineers on self isolation issues. Saying they might be even close so cant book me in.

Cwmbran- booked in. Now he knows what I'm talking about and when what cardiff said, he said fair play i wouldnt trust them to ensure HV fuse is done if they said that. Also supplied them the AS number for new update as they know its was pulled.

As I typed this - either they read this or Facebook post but cardiff have called me and got to pop in an hour.

Called bridgend - no appointments until March due to engineers on self isolation issues. Saying they might be even close so cant book me in.

Cwmbran- booked in. Now he knows what I'm talking about and when what cardiff said, he said fair play i wouldnt trust them to ensure HV fuse is done if they said that. Also supplied them the AS number for new update as they know its was pulled.

As I typed this - either they read this or Facebook post but cardiff have called me and got to pop in an hour.
I wonder if someone’s ears are burning at the Cardiff dealership....

So they re-appled the software for charger controller (plug) as it went out of spec. Just running a nice slow 1.4kw charge (via eco mode on zappi) advise was slower charge the better. Got to wait until tonight if battery voltage is back to normal and if equitation is either 1hr or 5hrs.... But it charges unlocked so fixed subject to further tests.

So they re-appled the software for charger controller (plug) as it went out of spec. Just running a nice slow 1.4kw charge (via eco mode on zappi) advise was slower charge the better. Got to wait until tonight if battery voltage is back to normal and if equitation is either 1hr or 5hrs.... But it charges unlocked so fixed subject to further tests.
I'll wait to see if they applied it correctly to yours before I give the Cardiff branch a call to book in then.

Thanks for the update :)

Todays Update - car reported full charged and ZERO equalisation charge. 🧐 Voltage 449v. No lights, no hvac system.
Either December '19 BMS isn't equalisating the battery correctly (I doubt), or the charge controller & the five hour equalisation completely mess things up on one charge.

Mystery continues.

Would a really slow charge on the granny plug be worth trying to try and equalise the battery?

Todays Update - car reported full charged and ZERO equalisation charge. 🧐 Voltage 449v. No lights, no hvac system.
Either December '19 BMS isn't equalisating the battery correctly (I doubt), or the charge controller & the five hour equalisation completely mess things up on one charge.

Mystery continues.
I’m sorry that you’re having issues. Out of interest - how does the car report a full charge and zero equalisation?

I monitor it using Myenergi/Zappi app. When equalisation is happening it shows about 300w pull. Normally you see a period of time at the lower rate at the end of charge. Last night/this morning it went from 1.4kw to 0w with no 300w period.

Didn’t they say that it will take a few full cycles to get back to the full charge, not just one cycle...

This is my worry...We all charge back to the dealers to get the BMS udate fix and we end up with other problems...mine goes in on Wednesday

Didn’t they say that it will take a few full cycles to get back to the full charge, not just one cycle...
Might be the case but the battery was in perfect condition on Monday (455v), as I didnt have the faulty October '20 BMS in the first place. I had December '19 BMS prior.
My main working theory is the charger unit (in the car) when not in spec messed things up royally and now the car is slowly correcting things.

This is new territory too for most dealers. Not making excuses for them but they’re still learning with EV’s in general. Tesla, who are considered to be pioneers also struggle. They do have the benefit of over the air updates though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom