Fasten seat belt warning

jonney

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've been using the manual e-brake for a while now and have twice gotten an issue I've not seen here.
Stoping at lights using the brake, then I go to move off and a warning comes up saying to fasten seat belt and it won't accelerate. Every time I push thepedal the warning will appear. The only way to move resolve is to put the car in park and move it back to drive.

Anyone come across this behaviour?

When you say e-brake, I assume you mean you are using the manual brake (pull button brake on the centre console) when you pull up at lights, is that correct ?

I've had this a couple of times. Once when stopped at a red light, I applied the parking brake manually (I do this at night to avoid dazzling the car behind with brake lights) when I tried to move I couldn't, and had a message telling me to fasten seatbelt. After a few attempts I unfastened and refastened the belt which fixed it.
Then a second time I pulled over to update the navigation, had to apply the handbrake to allow the use of the keyboard. Again got the fasten seatbelt message until I put it in park and drive.
I avoid using the parking brake now and instead put the drive selector in P... even though it should be the same thing, but I've not had the fault using this method.

You've not got anything on any of the other seats? Handbag, briefcase, pack of tinnies, wine box for example, which could be activating the seatbelt sensor?

Yes, auto hold should be used. I never touch the park brake lever, it automatically applies itself once the car is exited and locked I believe, then disengages upon entry and start up. This sounds like using it when pulling up at lights etc is confusing the car, hence the messages seen.

This happened to myself yesterday. Waiting in a queue to enter Longleat so slow moving traffic. Using Autohold but due to prolonged stoppage it went into park automatically.

At this point when proceeding to move I got a fasten seatbelt warning. All passengers were buckled up. Tried a few time to go and it just cleared itself and we proceeded.

I normally just use auto hold but it keeps the brake lights on, and it's not nice to be sat behind bright LEDs at night.
Nothing on the passenger seats and no warnings prior. Even when it's displaying the fasten seatbelt message there is no seatbelt icon at the bottom of the screen so the car must know its fastened.

I normally just use auto hold but it keeps the brake lights on, and it's not nice to be sat behind bright LEDs at night.

Are you sure? I thought the lights went out when you take foot off brake. I can’t check as my car is in the workshop, again. Can anyone confirm this?

I've been using the manual e-brake for a while now and have twice gotten an issue I've not seen here.
Stoping at lights using the brake, then I go to move off and a warning comes up saying to fasten seat belt and it won't accelerate. Every time I push thepedal the warning will appear. The only way to move resolve is to put the car in park and move it back to drive.

Anyone come across this behaviour?
I had exactly this problem yesterday. Pulled up at a set of traffic lights, applied handbrake. Lights turned green, put foot on accelerator, started to move then stopped and warning to fasten seat belt. Tried it again, same result. Then myself and wife unfastened and refastened our seat belts, tried again, and it was fine.

I had assumed that one of us didn't have our seatbelt clipped in properly. Maybe not. I love the car, but sometimes it's just too clever for it's own good!

Yeah seatbelts indeed fastened when this happens and nothing stored on seats.

Imean that I am using the manual hand brake lever not auto hold.

I'll probably try out autohold now that this issue has started.

I'm not sure that would bother me. I don't ever remember being bothered by it. In my previous car, which didn't have auto-hold, I just kept my foot on the brake pedal, and certainly never got flashed or anything. I would imagine a lot of drivers do that, and how many people even notice?

I might be totally wrong but don't you have to put your foot back on the brake if you come off of parking brake? I think the car will only move again when drive is properly engaged. I think thats to stop someone accidentally turning the brake off and the car unaceptably moving forward. Although why it should give a seatbelt warning I have no idea.

I also use autohold which I find so much better.

I'm not sure that would bother me. I don't ever remember being bothered by it. In my previous car, which didn't have auto-hold, I just kept my foot on the brake pedal, and certainly never got flashed or anything. I would imagine a lot of drivers do that, and how many people even notice?
That's fair enough but I was just explaining my reasoning for using the parking brake rather than auto hold. Besides, the auto hold has failed on me a few times where I've been unable to use it for the journey and had to use the parking brake instead. Either way the error shouldn't happen.

I might be totally wrong but don't you have to put your foot back on the brake if you come off of parking brake? I think the car will only move again when drive is properly engaged. I think thats to stop someone accidentally turning the brake off and the car unaceptably moving forward. Although why it should give a seatbelt warning I have no idea.

I also use autohold which I find so much better.

No, normally you can just press the accelerator and it will release the parking brake, similar to auto hold.

I had this for the first time last night. The missus was driving at relatively load speed and i was sat in the back as my daughter was passenger. Turns out it was a handbag on the back seat which weight wise was next to nothing . Moved it out of the way and the warning stopped.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back