• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

First it was Range Anxiety - now I've got Charger paranoia!!

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
On a trip down to Edinburgh this week, I stopped at Broxden Park & Ride, Perth for the first time.

Wow! It has an array of chargers, 3 x multi tethered outlet ; 3 or 4 untethered and what I can only call an avenue of Tesla chargers.

But I couldn't get a CCS charge of any of the three! One was obviously not working at all as it had no lights showing at all, so didn't try it! Of the 2 remaining, the first I chose didn't work and reverted to green from blue as soon as it looked like it would charge.

So I persevered with the second charger but still couldn't get anything despite the Helpdesk rebooting the unit - nothing!

But here's the thing (paranoia spoiler!!) - on the first charger that spat me out , A Leaf pulled up and connected with the Chademo - and he got a charge! So, I though "Strange, isn't that the same DC feed, so it must be a faulty gun on the CCS" But then a guy with a BMW i3 turns up, and successfully charges on the CCS that spat me out!! Aaargghh!!!

So, I moved on 13 miles to Kinross - to a very similar unit, and right first time - a very successful CCS charge.

What the ...?? Is it me? I recall somebody on a previous thread asking if any chargers weren't compatible with MGs, and I've also had on a couple of occasions a charger telling me that I have 90+% battery when I'm actually down to 20 or 30 miles only!!

If it is me - just tell me, I can take it!! :ROFLMAO:

Please help!! Now getting quite anxious about this!!

This has happened to me again. I try to connect for a CCS rapid charge at Kinross and although I only had 25 miles range left, the display on the charger told me that I have 85%.

I tried a few more times and then inexplicably, doing exactly the same as I previously had, it kicked in and gave me a Rapid Charge.

Then a few days later, heading back up the A9, I stopped at Kingussie which has previously not given me a CCS rapid charge. Again, it showed a completely incorrect battery charge level in excess of 80% twice, and then on the third attempt, it worked!

On both occasions the units both allowed me to take on an AC charge, so it's as if either my car provides incorrect data for the information exchange during the rapid charge handshake, or the charging unit somehow misreads it????

I called MG in Falkirk, but they say that they have not heard of this and that there's no issue on the MG information update files.

I don't know what to do!! I had my car booked in for this to be checked out but as it's a 300+ mile round trip, and they say that they're unlikely to find it as it's an unknown issue, I am reluctant!!

Anyone cast any light on this, or have you had a similar experience?

I wish I could help more, the only thing I can say is that the latest update for the eZS upgrades the DC/DC module.

I cannot say if this will help your issue or not, seems related but I don’t know.

Which chargers are they? If there is one near me I will go test it for you.

@Lee

That's very kind of you, but I'm not sure which make of charger it is, but I think they are Evolt.

It's the "older" style used by ChargePlace Scotland (photo attached).

1600713851873.png

and Kingussie's

1600713981107.png

Many thanks

Dave

Please help!! Now getting quite anxious about this!!

This has happened to me again. I try to connect for a CCS rapid charge at Kinross and although I only had 25 miles range left, the display on the charger told me that I have 85%.

I tried a few more times and then inexplicably, doing exactly the same as I previously had, it kicked in and gave me a Rapid Charge.

Then a few days later, heading back up the A9, I stopped at Kingussie which has previously not given me a CCS rapid charge. Again, it showed a completely incorrect battery charge level in excess of 80% twice, and then on the third attempt, it worked!

On both occasions the units both allowed me to take on an AC charge, so it's as if either my car provides incorrect data for the information exchange during the rapid charge handshake, or the charging unit somehow misreads it????

I called MG in Falkirk, but they say that they have not heard of this and that there's no issue on the MG information update files.

I don't know what to do!! I had my car booked in for this to be checked out but as it's a 300+ mile round trip, and they say that they're unlikely to find it as it's an unknown issue, I am reluctant!!

Anyone cast any light on this, or have you had a similar experience?
@Dave S
It may be a rapid charger handshake issue. It is worth checking if you definitely have the latest HVB fuse update. I am not sure if Dealership checked specifically for your car but a further phone call to clarify may be useful.

Do you know if Evolt have any chargers south of the border? I’ve just had a look and found it difficult to locate them. Looks to be a Scottish only network?

I may be stating the obvious here, but did you make sure the plug was fully inserted ?
Mine is a tight fit and sometimes feels like it's in, then giving it a further push it goes in a little more.

Good news (in a way!!) - it's happened again, but it seems that it reads the previous driver's charging level and not my car's!!

I had to wait for a driver to disconnect the rapid charge on Sunday in Inverurie, and when I connected and it checked my Initial Procedures, it showed me as having exactly what he had completed his charge level to!!

I just re-connected twice more, the first time it didn't work, but the second time was great!!

It seems to be a handshake data transfer problem, but I have NO technical knowledge or expertise!!!

Thanks to all who responded. ☑

Good news (in a way!!) - it's happened again, but it seems that it reads the previous driver's charging level and not my car's!!

I had to wait for a driver to disconnect the rapid charge on Sunday in Inverurie, and when I connected and it checked my Initial Procedures, it showed me as having exactly what he had completed his charge level to!!

I just re-connected twice more, the first time it didn't work, but the second time was great!!

It seems to be a handshake data transfer problem, but I have NO technical knowledge or expertise!!!

Thanks to all who responded. ☑
Dave,

That is my problem, I only have Charger Anxiety, anyone can plan a route but when you get to the charger it is hit and miss, too much for me to handle at the moment (wife complains and I feel stressed) so I have made the decision to by a Kona 64kh, car is now up for sale for £17500, 6166 miles condition as my showcase pictures.

Regards

Frank

Dave,

That is my problem, I only have Charger Anxiety, anyone can plan a route but when you get to the charger it is hit and miss, too much for me to handle at the moment (wife complains and I feel stressed) so I have made the decision to by a Kona 64kh, car is now up for sale for £17500, 6166 miles condition as my showcase pictures.

Regards

Frank
Won’t you still have the charging problem when you do your longer runs or will the Kona give you the ranger to get there and back without charging?

Only a tesla will not give you any of this anxiety. Drove to Belgium in a model 3 with no worries at all. Drive, park and plug in. No faffing about with cards and app. Worth the extra monthly payment. Had a 64kw kona which has better range but as soon as you need to charge on route, same issue. IMHO.

Won’t you still have the charging problem when you do your longer runs or will the Kona give you the ranger to get there and back without charging?
My regular long trips are from Dumfries to either Edinburgh or Glasgow , approximately 160 round trips the kona will easily do that without even trying to drive with economy in mind and still have plenty of reserve for driving around both cities. However you are right when you get to the time you need fuel I will still have charger anxiety.

Regards

Frank

The Kona beat the Tesla for range during real world tests. The only problem is that to afford it I have to lease the car so no option to buy.

I dont have range anxiety, sometimes I like to empty the battery.

but i made a round trip over 2000 km, charged 14 times on the way, :cry:
Yes ZS EV is definitely not a long range car.
Range Anxiety, Charger Paranoia and Time Pressure are real life problems on long range journeys with ZS EV.
There is no hiding from the need to charge and the time it takes to charge on long journeys. We previously had a Ford Galaxy and then a Ford Edge and had become used to filling up only occasionally even on very long journeys through Europe. Now first time with ZS EV our shortest long distance journey which is Northwest to Cornwall was a complete Disaster in terms of charging i.e. Time spent charging or finding a working unoccupied charger despite the effort put into journey planning was just too much it made the journey not enjoyable.
Unfortunately I must admit when this Covid Saga is over we will not attempt trips from England into Europe with the ZS EV and we will not be buying another EV until we can afford one with a range of over 300miles.
So we are enjoying the ZS EV for now just as a local utility vehicle. It serves this purpose brilliantly and is cheap to run.

Yes ZS EV is definitely not a long range car.
Range Anxiety, Charger Paranoia and Time Pressure are real life problems on long range journeys with ZS EV.
There is no hiding from the need to charge and the time it takes to charge on long journeys. We previously had a Ford Galaxy and then a Ford Edge and had become used to filling up only occasionally even on very long journeys through Europe. Now first time with ZS EV our shortest long distance journey which is Northwest to Cornwall was a complete Disaster in terms of charging i.e. Time spent charging or finding a working unoccupied charger despite the effort put into journey planning was just too much it made the journey not enjoyable.
Unfortunately I must admit when this Covid Saga is over we will not attempt trips from England into Europe with the ZS EV and we will not be buying another EV until we can afford one with a range of over 300miles.
So we are enjoying the ZS EV for now just as a local utility vehicle. It serves this purpose brilliantly and is cheap to run.
Kasev,

Fully agree with you except for one thing ALL ev cars with a range over 100mile would easily make long range cars if one thing was addressed the crappy public charging system. Like my experiences it is finding one that works (biggest problem in my opinion) not too busy and the right type. In Falkirk they have just recently installed a charging hub next to the Falkirk Stadium which can easily charge about 15 cars in one go and almost all are rapid chargers. The other thing that amuses me (pisses me off) is where you get to a charger that has CCS and cdameo ? outputs but (and it took me a while to find this out, just thinking the CCS was broken) you can only use one of them at any one time, good lads, piss off the MG drivers and or piss off leaf drivers depending who's charging at the time, what plonker thought this was a good idea.

All the best.

Frank

I think the charger situation mentioned by @Frank will make or break EVs, once the uptake grows even more. Imagine queing for ages wiaitng to get a charge that's likely to take 40 minutes or so when it's your turn! I'm sure you've all heard about the very recent advances in hydrogen engines - not yet put into practice in any great numbers as far as I'm aware - and the associated talk that filling up your car with hydrogen is comparable in time to fuelling up with petrol/diesel.

Kasev,

Fully agree with you except for one thing ALL ev cars with a range over 100mile would easily make long range cars if one thing was addressed the crappy public charging system. Like my experiences it is finding one that works (biggest problem in my opinion) not too busy and the right type. In Falkirk they have just recently installed a charging hub next to the Falkirk Stadium which can easily charge about 15 cars in one go and almost all are rapid chargers. The other thing that amuses me (pisses me off) is where you get to a charger that has CCS and cdameo ? outputs but (and it took me a while to find this out, just thinking the CCS was broken) you can only use one of them at any one time, good lads, piss off the MG drivers and or piss off leaf drivers depending who's charging at the time, what plonker thought this was a good idea.

All the best.

Frank
@Frank
You are absolutely right. With better infrastructure battery size will not be much of an issue any more.
It looks like most of the people making decisions about EV infrastructure do not use an EV and have no understanding that what they are providing is inadequate.
Lets hope the infrastructure changes for the better soon.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom