• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV First MOT

Happy Zappy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hard to believe it’s 3 years since I bought my Gen 1 ZS. After 15,000 miles, yesterday was MOT day and, of course, it sailed through with no problems or advisories. They said the brake pads were virtually untouched, the front tyres 7 out of 10 and the rear tyres 8 out of 10. I had the annual “service” done at the same time and the BMS reported that it still has 100% state of health. I must say I’m pretty pleased with that.

The guy on service reception tried to joke about the fact it had no problems with emissions, so I asked if the test was cheaper as they didn’t need to do any such tests. His reply was ”No because the government set the price”. I pointed out that the government set the maximum price and they could charge less if they wanted. He didn’t appreciate this and quickly changed the subject!!!

Overall, still really pleased with the car and its performance. I’m due to get solar panels & battery fitted in the next few weeks, so look forward to reducing my cost of motoring in the coming months.

David

Unfortunately it's in the dealers interest to report 100% soh that what happened to someone on here recently and they ask to see the computer and to way actually 97%
Screenshot_20230114-210903.png

Last edited:
I appreciate the doubts about SOH. Having read about it on here, I challenged the garage as to whether it was really 100% or had they just made it up. They told me it was genuine, but the car had been moved out of the workshop and as they were closing up, did not offer to hook the car up again and show me the computer screen. At some stage I’ll get my own OBD device and check.

Yes, I also had the annual service (or top up the washers & kick the tyres service) done.

David

You will enjoy the benefit of solarpanels and battery, running costs between April and October will be drastically reduced. I am having a battery and extra panels fitted next week. (extra panels saved paying the VAT on the battery).
Make sure that you have a smart charging point to exploit PV power. I use a Zappi 2 which can be set to feed the car with a diet of sunshine only!

Unfortunately it's in the dealers interest to report 100% soh that what happened to someone on here recently and they ask to see the computer and to way actually 97%
View attachment 14492
This is interesting. When I asked my garage this morning if there was a condition report on the battery to go with the service sheet they said no. When pressed more they said they would only see faults as part of diagnostics. I thought this a bit dubious so thought I would Google when I got home. Will definitely be sharing this image and asking for the information from my car!

Happy-Zappy, I am interested because my car also had first MOT the other day at about 15000. I assume they did a software change because I find the KERS very much weaker than before. What seems to happen (kers3) is when initially slowing from say 50mph there is much less retardation - say about 4 or 5% on the meter, but this increases as one gets below say 20mph to more normal amounts of say 15 %. Have you noticed the same? Previously, it used to give about 15% immediately one started to slow down.

This is interesting. When I asked my garage this morning if there was a condition report on the battery to go with the service sheet they said no. When pressed more they said they would only see faults as part of diagnostics. I thought this a bit dubious so thought I would Google when I got home. Will definitely be sharing this image and asking for the information from my car!
I would tend to think, that if the car was submitted for either an annual standard service or and maybe to including an MOT.
If the customer had not reported an issues with the car, would they even run a diag test ?.
If you WHERE running a diag or applying any updates, then why not check the SOH of the battery at the same time ??.
Diag time is very likely to take longer than an annual health check !.

I would tend to think, that if the car was submitted for either an annual standard service or and maybe to including an MOT.
If the customer had not reported an issues with the car, would they even run a diag test ?.
If you WHERE running a diag or applying any updates, then why not check the SOH of the battery at the same time ??.
Diag time is very likely to take longer than an annual health check !.

Remember the service book says
"Check software version of electronic control units and upgrade to latest version if available."
Now they can't do that without connecting diagnostic equipment in the first place

Remember the service book says
"Check software version of electronic control units and upgrade to latest version if available."
Now they can't do that without connecting diagnostic equipment in the first place
"Check software version of electronic control units and upgrade to latest version IF available" leaves the door open a little there.
This is found on the service sheet 100% true and correct, however CERTAIN dealers who appear to be ( let's say ) a little nervous / inexperienced in applying these updates ( and we know this to be true ) tend to steer away from carrying out these checks unless the customer has made a direct complaint that could indicate a software problem or has directly asked the dealer to check and apply updates at the time of service.
I actually had a workshop manager tell me so directly to my face once.
If updates are applied correctly by experienced EV Tech, then it's all plain sailing and happy day's.
Get it wrong and it's a whole world of pain for both the owner and the dealership !.
I still have the "T" Shirt to prove it and a service sheet from local dealer who ticked the box, that claimed that the engine oil had been replaced.
Hopefully, you will forgive me therefore, if I am a little sceptical of some of things "So Called " as ✅ done, on a piece of paper !.

Of course what's meant to be done and what's actually done I think the biggest problem is a mg dealership is not necessarily mg (this is the way of the world now)and time being money there just not interested
Mg has proven it can make cars but it needs to look at there aftercare as people will stop buying them

Of course what's meant to be done and what's actually done I think the biggest problem is a mg dealership is not necessarily mg (this is the way of the world now)and time being money there just not interested
Mg has proven it can make cars but it needs to look at there aftercare as people will stop buying them
100% @N2STY

I won’t say anything about what’s been written in this thread as I don’t know much about the ZS only what I read here.
But I will comment and agree with what N2STY has said in his post above.

MG has proven it can make cars but needs to look at there aftercare as people will stop buying them.

I have read this in several post recently mainly of late on issues with the MG4 and I remember maybe similar statements about the ZS and it’s BMS issues a couple of years or so back there has never been any doubt in my mind on this what worries me is when are they MG and there dealers going to pay attention if they don't nobody will touch an MG new or secondhand even more so IMHO.
Les

I think the whole problem here Les is this.
MG are totally and utterly focussed on building up their market share in the U.K. market.
Rather than also looking after / retaining the customers that have already have both supported / put the trust in the brand on the first EV models that where released.
Without this early support and uptake if these models, then it was clearly game over for the MG EV brand from the get go !.
In 2021 MG increased it’s market share by about roughly 30% and had big ambitions to increasing that heavily in 2022 / 2023.
Until C19 intervened of course !.
This huge increase in sales / market share had to be truly applauded of course.
But also remembering that this huge up turn in sales, was primarily triggered by the introduction of a more affordable EV vehicle being brought to the market with the first introduction of the ZSEV Gen1 in late 2019.
Quickly followed on by the only truest affordable EV estate car, in the style of the MG5.
Then the release of ZS EV facelift carrying a lot of the improvements suggested by the early adopters of the model.
Then followed by the MG4 and MG5 facelift.
This is all really welcome and positive news for MG but unfortunately the support network behind this great increase in sales etc, has clearly not been able to keep up pace with the rest of the pack !.
Supply of replacement parts is nothing short of woeful and even the dealers are extremely frustrated buy long wait times are on spare parts.
I mean waiting almost 12 months to have you car repaired after accident damage, at a bodyshop due to accident damage, right down to the lack of replacement parts is just not acceptable.
Sales have grown, but the support services have failed to keep pace.
The problem I really see unfolding here is simply this, any new potential customers who are attracted to the brand, based on their competitive pricing structure, will then be thinking again, when they see / read reports of the super slow supply of replacement parts and poor customer after sales service experiences they have received from some dealers.
I can’t help but think that some of the MG support systems are at least 10 years behind the competition.
A happy customer is a returning customer.
Or maybe not !.

Last edited:
I had an accident that required replacement of both offside doors. My local bodyshop ordered them, including all the usual bits of plastic trim, sticky on bits etc and had the car back to me in about a week. I was impressed. The only unusual thing was that there was only one paint code for the pale blue (ev only) colour.

Yeh well impressed with a week turn round reading you post further I think you have Goya to be referring to a mk1 ZS I think in Pimlico blue it’s called I think
Les

I think the whole problem here Les is this.
MG are totally and utterly focussed on building up their market share in the U.K. market.
Rather than also looking after / retaining the customers that have already have both supported / put the trust in the brand on the first EV models that where released.
Without this early support and uptake if these models, then it was clearly game over for the MG EV brand from the get go !.
In 2021 MG increased it’s market share by about roughly 30% and had big ambitions to increasing that heavily in 2022 / 2023.
Until C19 intervened of course !.
This huge increase in sales / market share had to be truly applauded of course.
But also remembering that this huge up turn in sales, was primarily triggered by the introduction of a more affordable EV vehicle being brought to the market with the first introduction of the ZSEV Gen1 in late 2019.
Quickly followed on by the only truest affordable EV estate car, in the style of the MG5.
Then the release of ZS EV facelift carrying a lot of the improvements suggested by the early adopters of the model.
Then followed by the MG4 and MG5 facelift.
This is all really welcome and positive news for MG but unfortunately the support network behind this great increase in sales etc, has clearly not been able to keep up pace with the rest of the pack !.
Supply of replacement parts is nothing short of woeful and even the dealers are extremely frustrated buy long wait times are on spare parts.
I mean waiting almost 12 months to have you car repaired after accident damage, at a bodyshop due to accident damage, right down to the lack of replacement parts is just not acceptable.
Sales have grown, but the support services have failed to keep pace.
The problem I really see unfolding here is simply this, any new potential customers who are attracted to the brand, based on their competitive pricing structure, will then be thinking again, when they see / read reports of the super slow supply of replacement parts and poor customer after sales service experiences they have received from some dealers.
I can’t help but think that some of the MG support systems are at least 10 years behind the competition.
A happy customer is a returning customer.
Or maybe not !.
Sure, but this issue is certainly not exclusive to MG. These days, so many car manufacturers operate under a 'just in time' policy & do not keep large stocks of spare parts as they once used to.

Sure, but this issue is certainly not exclusive to MG. These days, so many car manufacturers operate under a 'just in time' policy & do not keep large stocks of spare parts as they once used to.
Agreed, but the wait time on a lot of MG spare parts appear to be a lot longer than many of the the other manufactures?.
After speaking with a parts department of a local multi brand dealer, they agreed that the wait time on MG parts was always longer than any of the other manufacturers that they deal with ??.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom