• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

First service at 15k

Stuwit46

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Booking at Richmond Group, Southampton very good. I didn’t need a loan car so they found a convenient day and time. Booked in when I dropped the car off by filling out a form with contact and vehicle details. I was contacted by text and a missed voicemail to tell me car has been services and is waiting to be cleaned. I was then left a voicemail and a text to say the car was ready. Collecting the car I was informed of the work carried out. I asked if the door mirrors had been sorted (squeaks reported on the booking in form), this was followed by a response of, “I’ll ask the techinician” he returned with ”he didn’t hear any squeaking, if it happens again please return the car and we will look at it”. I didn’t have time to mess about, so walked to the car unlocked it to the familiar sound of the squeaks 😂. On the way home popped into Halfords and bought some WD40 for plastics stuff, couple of squirts on each housing and now no squeaks 😊 Now it feels a bit odd as the familiar noise is no longer 🤪 On another note, nice paying the £15 per month for the service plan, the bill would have been £117.96. Only thing to report is tyre wear LHF 3.5mm, RHF 4.1mm, LHR 6.3mm & 6.4mm.

Nice to hear they did a good job as I will be doing the same later in the year.
I take it that was at 15k.
Did they recommend any tyres or have you looked it any that will improve the ride?
Did you drop it off at the H bit?

I'd also be looking for new tyres at 3mm.
Might have been a good idea to swap the wheels front/rear a bit earlier so all four wear out around the same time.

I'd also be looking for new tyres at 3mm.
Might have been a good idea to swap the wheels front/rear a bit earlier so all four wear out around the same time.
Brilliant idea if you want to replace all of your tyres with a different make / compound at the same time.
I hated the Bridgestone tyres on my last car, so I rotated them every 5,000 miles in a front to back fashion ( directional tread tyres ) and replaced them all together.
Oh …… VAG recommend a rotations every 5,000 miles anyway.
Just to say, if you rotate the wheels on a MG yourself, you are likely to need the TPMS resetting at the dealership.
It’s a stupid systems that logs where is wheel is situated.
On VAG models, the TPMS is done through the ABS system and it learns the wheel change itself automatically.

Did they recommend any tyres or have you looked it any that will improve the ride?
Yeah 15k as per the header 🤣 they sent a video of the inspection and as the front tyre was noted the price of around £74 flashed up.
Also, yes Hyundai even though I was asked to go to MG, typically no staff and Manager on the phone 🙄 when I got there, eventually told to take it to Hyundai 😊

That's a cheap service, had mine done a month back for £188 at Glyn Hopkins Chelmsford. Also when they said they "washed the car" just smeared round the crap from the bottom to the top.. again no time to complain and get it sorted. Next time will request they don't wash it.

That's a cheap service, had mine done a month back for £188 at Glyn Hopkins Chelmsford. Also when they said they "washed the car" just smeared round the crap from the bottom to the top.. again no time to complain and get it sorted. Next time will request they don't wash it.
Odd isn’t it that different dealers do different things, costs I guess vary due to the management of the dealers, but surely a decent wash and clean inside should be standard these days? BTW mine was cleaned inside 😊

I always leave instructions that the car is not to be cleaned.
The chance of it being done properly is somewhere between extremely unlikely and zero.
I am from this camp also.
I always avoid having my cars washed at the dealership.
I present them completely clean inside and out.
I will also ask them to inspect my car for damage, prior to leaving it.
If they refuse to check the car ( and they never do ) I tell them if there is ANY issues on my return, then you are admitting liability because I offered you the chance to check over the car with me.
That soon gets them off their arses !.
If it’s not 100% when I collect it, then any damage has occurred while in there care.
No come backs then !.
I gather you get from this I don’t trust these people, well your right.
Having worked in a massive dealership myself ( way back in the day ) I have see all the tricks in the book.

Yes, I got a 3 years free servicing package with my ZS. Very friendly service team. I got the AA cover renewed with new card updated and a free Stead-E-Bear, their version of the MG bear, (same thing) and the car washed and vacuumed beautifully.

What are they checking during a first 15k service? I am surprised a service is even required at 15k. Am new to the EV world so more likely my ignorance.

You’re absolutely right. Why they are serviced annually is probably down to generating income not through necessity.

The service schedule for most cars is dominated by stuff that is just inspected so no reason that will be different on an EV.

When I get mine, it will be going to the local garage for servicing… not the dealer unless it’s a warranty issue.

Dunno about your local garage but the "little man" who used to fettle all my older cars won't touch electric ones, even if it's just something like brake pads which are hardly near the power. He is very old skool...

Wouldn't you have to get dealer servicing for the warranty to remain intact, or have those days gone? I can't imagine a manufacturer entertaining an expensive warranty claim say, for a main battery, if it hadn't been serviced by an authorised dealer. Or have those days gone?

Lastly, at £150 or whatever it was quoted above didn't strike me as too expensive for an annual service, though I get that some may be more than others (well, they were with the Ampera).

They’ll be tooling up soon enough…. To maintain a car warranty you need to comply with the necessary original parts and the interval. Manufacturers cannot enforce dealer servicing as a condition of warranty.

It's quite a leap to go from standard ICE servicing to EV servicing, if you're going to do the job properly. It'd be worth looking up your local HEVRA garage and find what their charges would be (assuming your concern over main dealer servicing is cost).

Good point re the AA cover, though I don't know what level of cover you get with the servicing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom