First time fully charged since picking up our new MG

Rabtmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Had it on charge a couple of times during the week just to give it a quick boost but this morning I put it on charge after dropping my daughter off at work (NHS) and left it while I enjoyed the delights of YouTube 😁
Anyway it's now at 100%
And it was reading 136 miles range ☹️
But moving it onto the front of our house (we don't have off road parking but I had a charger installed at our back gate for my Leaf I can use)
Once it was back on the front the range said 151???😐
Voltage is reading 449, does this mean I've still got the old version of the BMS (on a 5 day old car 😠) and I should get the update done?
If I should have it what will the difference be???
What voltage or range extension should we see??
If any?
Thanks
Rab
IMG_20210418_133730.jpg
IMG_20210418_133959.jpg

That all looks perfectly normal. You have the latest 449/450v bms. Enjoy! 🙂

The range left or GOM (Guess O Meter) is not a perfect especially on a new car, as it has little data on how you drive. Also it changes based on outside temperature as well, so if its very cold in the morning, it might be lower estimate than an estimate at 20c...

When the voltage is 449v, its perfectly balanced.

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 18042021155140.jpg
    ZomboMeme 18042021155140.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 114
Brilliant news thank you I had thought the updated BMS gave a lower voltage reading but if 449 is the magic number then we can get on with enjoying the car, not much chance of the temperature going up just yet lol but hopefully when it does the range will go up a bit too .

Brilliant news thank you I had thought the updated BMS gave a lower voltage reading but if 449 is the magic number then we can get on with enjoying the car, not much chance of the temperature going up just yet lol but hopefully when it does the range will go up a bit too .
Reset your trips so that the range algorithm is reset.
Make sure you're always in the same mode otherwise it alters the range algorithm (always resets to N3 on startup).
Ideally start car without brake pedal pressed to ensure it's under no load to get the base range and voltage figures.

Ideally start car without brake pedal pressed to ensure it's under no load to get the base range and voltage figures.
Trips all reset I'll give starting up without the foot on the brake a try and see how it goes 👍
I presume once I do that it's just a foot on the brake and press start again to get going ??

Trips all reset I'll give starting up without the foot on the brake a try and see how it goes 👍
I presume once I do that it's just a foot on the brake and press start again to get going ??
Just to say .........
Make sure you have the HVAC etc turned completely turned OFF when boot up the car, otherwise your predicted range will be instantly reduced on the GOM.
I have the 15th Jan BMS update, with 449 / 450 volts displayed on boot up after a full charge & balance.
Foot OFF the brake pedal on boot up and all counters reset to zero.
All electrical items turned OFF also.
I am seeing a pretty consistent 160 miles of range reported in default mode NORMAL and Regen level 3.
I have been returning around 4.5 efficiency over a +100 mile journey.
I have been seeing all of these figures on a regular basis over the last month now.

Last edited:
Well I gave it a try and I'm delighted 😁
Range to use 163
Went 10 miles and used 2/3 4.2m/kWh makes my leaf look like an old diesel 🙂
That's better.
I reset accumulative every morning and after a full charge it shows 163 miles every time.

I bought my car in Jan 2020 and had the initial software update (outside temp etc) very soon after. Since then I have had a service but asked for no further software updates. My car shows exactly the same as the one above.

Will do
My wife was using it for work but with the good weather she's been walking but by the weekend with taking and picking up my daughter from the hospital I should be able to let you know what we achieve
There are plenty of hills here too, so I'm curious myself.

I have the car for a year now and never seen a full charge at 163 miles ever come up yet?
I am use the free Pod- Points charges. Is there any way I can a 160 miles plus charge?

I have the car for a year now and never seen a full charge at 163 miles ever come up yet?
I am use the free Pod- Points charges. Is there any way I can a 160 miles plus charge?

Without getting into BMS version discussions, what range is listed when fully charged in eco mode with everything turned off?

Had it on charge a couple of times during the week just to give it a quick boost but this morning I put it on charge after dropping my daughter off at work (NHS) and left it while I enjoyed the delights of YouTube 😁
Anyway it's now at 100%
And it was reading 136 miles range ☹️
But moving it onto the front of our house (we don't have off road parking but I had a charger installed at our back gate for my Leaf I can use)
Once it was back on the front the range said 151???😐
Voltage is reading 449, does this mean I've still got the old version of the BMS (on a 5 day old car 😠) and I should get the update done?
If I should have it what will the difference be???
What voltage or range extension should we see??
If any?
Thanks
Rab
View attachment 2907View attachment 2908
Slightly off topic. But interested to know how you managed to fit a home charger without off-road parking?

What you expect to see as a “Predicted” range after a full charge / balance will be affected by a number of factors.
This includes which BMS software version you are running on as well.
After the latest BMS update released 15th Jan 2021, I can tell you what I am witnessing since this update.
This is similar to what other owners also, unless they have been heavily affected by the “Buggy” software and are still in the process of recovering their packs.
So, after a full charge I am seeing figures between 159 and 161 miles of predicted miles of range on the GOM.
This is in default mode of “Normal & Regen Level 3” on start up.
Also, you will need to boot up the car WITHOUT your foot on the brake pedal and ensure that accumulative mileage trip is then set back to ZERO and make sure ALL electrical items in the car are turned OFF.
Scroll through your settings with the up and down buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel to do this.
When scrolling through, you should see a screen that displays the voltage on the HV pack.
IF - You are running on the latest BMS update, you should be seeing a voltage of around the 448 - 450 miles when fully charged.
If you are running on the OEM factory software ( dependant on when the car was produced etc ) then you should be seeing a voltage on the pack of around 454 - 456 ish volts.
Worth nothing, that when you check your predicted range after a full charge, double check you have the HVAC turned off !.
Otherwise if your HVAC has been left turned ON from your previous trip, then when you boot up the car, the GOM will automatically reduce your predicted range instantly.
Just for your reference, my car has covered around 11,000 miles and was collected on the 3rd Jan 2020 so is about 15 months old ish.

Not sure if it is the good weather but yesterday after fully charging the car over night, my GOM on start up in eco mode and nothing switched on gave me 211 miles. Most I have seen. An increase from my previous 208.

All good here thus far!

Not sure if it is the good weather but yesterday after fully charging the car over night, my GOM on start up in eco mode and nothing switched on gave me 211 miles. Most I have seen. An increase from my previous 208.

All good here thus far!
Are you sure they haven’t put an MG5 battery in your ZS? 🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom