• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Fitting a dash cam

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Doing a few bits on the MG5 first I fitted the 12v battery monitor that was a doddle just flip the cover off and attach the the positive and the the negative and a sticky pad to hold box on top of the battery.
On the other hand the dash cam was a ball ache the fuse box cover is not easy to get off I used plastic tools to avoid damage the plastic is easily damaged so be careful then once I had access to the fuse box it’s still very hard to get to.
The diagram in the handbook bares no resemblance to the fuse box in the car I found the best fuse to use was the 15amp bottom right corner it’s for the 12v power socket in the cabin.
Plenty of places to earth I used one of the 10mm bolts just to the right routing the cables not problem just use plastic tools to avoid damage then replacing the fuse box cover is not easy takes some jiggling in to place then snaps back make sure it’s under the door seal and that’s done next job head light bulbs think I leave that till next week end when I am off work

Doing a few bits on the MG5 first I fitted the 12v battery monitor that was a doddle just flip the cover off and attach the the positive and the the negative and a sticky pad to hold box on top of the battery.
On the other hand the dash cam was a ball ache the fuse box cover is not easy to get off I used plastic tools to avoid damage the plastic is easily damaged so be careful then once I had access to the fuse box it’s still very hard to get to.
The diagram in the handbook bares no resemblance to the fuse box in the car I found the best fuse to use was the 15amp bottom right corner it’s for the 12v power socket in the cabin.
Plenty of places to earth I used one of the 10mm bolts just to the right routing the cables not problem just use plastic tools to avoid damage then replacing the fuse box cover is not easy takes some jiggling in to place then snaps back make sure it’s under the door seal and that’s done next job head light bulbs think I leave that till next week end when I am off work
Looks like a good list. Where are you routing the cable for the camera? The dash should show the 12v battery voltage.

Looks like a good list. Where are you routing the cable for the camera? The dash should show the 12v battery voltage.
I routed the cable up the side pillar close to the door then along the head trim to the passenger side where the camera is mounted.
The battery monitor warns you if the voltage drops too low I watched some videos about the 12v failing on EVs I also ordered a small jumper pack you never know

Hi. I'll be fitting a dash cam when I get my mg5. To save me getting out my multimeter can I ask which fuse you used to piggy back? Thanks

Hi. I'll be fitting a dash cam when I get my mg5. To save me getting out my multimeter can I ask which fuse you used to piggy back? Thanks
I fitted a Nextbase using their hardwire kit and found that F1 had the best clearance/cable routing... though NOT a permanent live...

Except with the Nextbase hardwire kit where the fuse jumper has a right angle bend which sends it's cable out the side... and needs to 'miss' the larger blocked fuses at F4/5, F11/12, F15/16, F19/20, F29/30, F25, F26, F38 ,F39. Yes, still plenty of space, and F1 is the same fuse that Billy uses ;).

Is it generally a 7amp fuse to be fitted for the dash cam please?

If fitting a Nextbase camera, the fuse in the piggyback unit is only a 2A, and comes supplied. 7A is a large current draw and I'd suspect too large for such skinny wires.... remember the Fuse is there to protect the wires/device and unless your device needs 7A to run, then using a lower ampage fuse is recommended. (Again the Nextbase only draws 1.5A).

It is nextbase. I’ll use the supplied fuse - thanks.

What is the best way to access the fuse box in a MG5 EV. How do you recommend removing the glove box in front of the fuse box

You don't need to remove the glove box. I used the fuse box to the right of the driver's knee. Open the door. Gently pull away the door seal, then you can pry out the cover that's to the right of the fuse box. Then you can access the fuses easily. It's still a bit fiddly but possible. I think I used the F1 fuse. It's in one of the threads on here somewhere

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom