Foggy windscreen

whiteghost

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
since this hot weather my front windscreen inside has become foggy? when sun hits it cant see anything!

Tried heater, tried aircon! Not helping. I have cleaned the inside with Armour screen cleaner, one called dirty windows and the
last is RainX which assures a clean and foggy clear window!! NOT

I've even tried bit of washing up liquid and deionised water. they all look good when do done but get back into the car
later or next day and windows back to foggy....

Wipe over with a dry cloth goes smudgy and after a good couple of minutes rubbing looks clear again.

BUT still goes foggy after a while? Any suggestions? what do you guys use?

Attached photo bit hard to see but the outside is blurry and fogged out.

Thanks.

[ Edited Coulomb: corrected spelling in thread title for easier searching. ]

Attachments

• 20220711_192850.jpg
    20220711_192850.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply, Will give that a try.
Does not seem to be mist, like you say only happened during this heat.
Seem to smudge about so will try a small patch with acetone, keep the alc for later :)

Do try method glass cleaner, you can get it on amazon prime, or in tesco etc, it is designed for this.

Do you leave your ventilation on recirc?
Above seems like a stupid question but when I was in car sales we had any number of customers come back with this issue and it was always that the ac was on recirc.
My manufacturer told us that the best way to cool a car quickly and avid misting up inside was: Windows open. AC on full recirc for 10 minutes then close windows, leave on recirc for another 10 mins or so then turn recirc off so that fresh air enters the cabin.

On my present car (seat Arona) I get condensation on the outside of the screen sometimes if the car is really cold inside . This seems to happen in the early evening more than at other times.

Thanks for all the reply's
Not had air con on etc just open windows and roof! Tried to clear with heat and Aircon but no good. Used small amount of acetone and difference is night and day!! Going to get some alchol and try that also as the acetone does give of a strong odour. Thanks Sloucher.

Simonize glass cleaner or Fast Glass from Autoglym, I use the latter on my car frequently and the former, the wife actually loves it for the glass surfaces and windows in the house :ROFLMAO: both are excellent glass cleaner and leave a streak free finish even in direct sunlight and heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simonize glass cleaner of Fast Glass from Autoglym, I use the latter on my car frequently and trhe former, the wife actually loves it for the glass surfaces and windows in the house :ROFLMAO: both are excellent glass cleaner and leave a streak free finish even in direct sunlight and heat.
I really like the Autoglym products.
Tried many different brands, but always find myself returning back to them.
The “Fast Glass” is a good glass cleaner, they also do a glass polish as well !.
It’s a cream based product ( very similar to the resign polish ) and is great on glass.
If you prefer the fast glass, try using the large bottles of glass cleaner they sell at you local trade UVPC product place.
Almost identical and it comes in a large 1 Litre spray bottle, it is cheaper than the Autogiym product.
A few of the professional details use this type of glass cleaner.
Great for cleaning your house windows also.
The last bottle I bought cost me about a £5.

1CF409FA-E382-47F7-9AD9-32F927B09F5C.jpeg

1. Make sure you do not have wet carpets.
2. Ensure you are not on recirculation.
3. Press the defrost button (second from left on top row of buttons). This is the only way to get the heater and air on on at the same time. Fan strength can still be varied.

It's warm air touching the cold glass the glass cools the air and makes condensation
And in non dyslexic
the cold glass is cooling down the air touching it to a below the dew point, causing moisture to fall out of the air and form on the glass as liquid water.

For me, the problem doesn't seem to be moisture so much as a film of greasy... stuff. I don't know what it is or where it comes from. A little detergent on a cloth, followed by a dry glass cloth, seems to shift it. Though you need the right lighting conditions to see it. Driving into the sun is the worst, but I don't have that at home when I'm trying to clean it. So I end up with patches not cleaned.

Defogging only seems to work on moisture, not the grease.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom