Four way indicators randomly flashing

Speshaul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Anyone else notice their four way indicators strobing for a couple of seconds randomly? It's what I would imagine the indicators would do when your emergency braking. Happens mainly when engaging auto-hold when coming to a standstill in traffic, or just light braking. Does not do it all the time, just completely random. Odd.

Anyone else notice their four way indicators strobing for a couple of seconds randomly? It's what I would imagine the indicators would do when your emergency braking. Happens mainly when engaging auto-hold when coming to a standstill in traffic, or just light braking. Does not do it all the time, just completely random. Odd.

Does it light up the indicators on the dash when it does it? If so, no, mine doesn't do this.

No it doesn't. Only notice it at low light or I catch it in the corner of my eye from the wing mirror. Oh and if it reflects off the car in front of me. Strange really. Wife also said she saw it twice on a 30 min trip when she was following me in her car.
Going to wear a groove in the road to the dealer at this rate.

I've seen the indicators flash a couple of times when coming to a near stop (gently) and the blind spot monitor seems to be on as well. Dont know if related to each other.

More software issues I suspect. Whilst I get dealer perform for critical component updates, folks going to the dealer for head unit updates is a unnecessary chore, especially given it has a self perform function accessable to all. Head unit and mapping software should be in the customer domain already, I don't get the reluctance currently.

Am sure I saw someone saying on Facebook that the car flashes the indicators if another car comes up to fast behind.
I saw that but according to the manual in those circumstances the brake lights are supposed to flash.

How close to the car in-front are you getting when it does it? Is the car about to engage emergency braking and flashes the indicators to warn the cars behind?

It's a gradual stop with on average 1.5 meter gap. Makes no difference between town stop go traffic or A road. When queueing and crawling up to the car in front I find it's the final brake dab (once stationary) to engage auto hold that can also set it off. I was suspecting it may just be a software update update , but would then have expected more people to have the issue.

Not tried that. It is intermittent so difficult to replicate on a whim. I will try . Definitely needs looking at as my fear is someone will take it as indicating when only seeing one side of me and pull out thinking I am turning in.

I saw that but according to the manual in those circumstances the brake lights are supposed to flash.

How close to the car in-front are you getting when it does it? Is the car about to engage emergency braking and flashes the indicators to warn the cars behind?
It could be a bit of heavier than normal braking which causes the hazard lights to flash as a warning to following drivers. May need sensitivity adjusted.

No it doesn't. Only notice it at low light or I catch it in the corner of my eye from the wing mirror. Oh and if it reflects off the car in front of me. Strange really. Wife also said she saw it twice on a 30 min trip when she was following me in her car.
Going to wear a groove in the road to the dealer at this rate.
Do you really mean all four (or six, counting the mirrors) indicators flash? How do you know from the inside? Or do you mean the blind spot warning light in the wing mirror? I've seen those come on several times for no apparent reason and suspect hypersensitive sensors.

Think you switch that off from here. Rear collision Warning?
C4A0CE78-546F-44A8-AB82-CBDC1AAEB438_1_201_a.jpeg

Do you really mean all four (or six, counting the mirrors) indicators flash? How do you know from the inside? Or do you mean the blind spot warning light in the wing mirror? I've seen those come on several times for no apparent reason and suspect hypersensitive sensors.
Yes all 6 flash. I only notice it either as a refection on another vehicle when applying auto hold , or I catch it out of the corner of my eye on mirrors. Blind spot detection works fine.

I have noticed the same this morning when stopped in traffic, and they did it when a motorbike went past me. No indication on the dash and no sounds. I also noticed it in the reflection on the back of another car.

I have noticed this in the reflection of a bus previously as I pulled up behind it and stopped smoothly - left a car length gap as usual.

There was no alerts, no indicator flash on the dashboard, and I don't use Auto-hold.

I didn't notice if the car behind got too close or if there was anything else going on that would potentially cause it.

Ok, now I have seen it, too. A vehicle was merging into my lane behind me while I was standing still at traffic lights. All indicators were flashing rapidly with no alerts flashing or sounding in the car. Strange.
Maybe that's the key, it could be the rear cross traffic alert.

Traffic merging from the next lane into our lane, while we are slowing to stop.

I have noticed the same this morning when stopped in traffic, and they did it when a motorbike went past me. No indication on the dash and no sounds. I also noticed it in the reflection on the back of another car.
I think it's this. It happened once to me when a passing car came slightly too close. A neat safety feature I think.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 483 78.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back