Freezing or Fueling?

Henri8

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My first and most important issue after first driving this MG plug-in hybrid is the problem of driving in the EV mode without to much trouble. In wintertime the first issue is heating.
This was not a surprise to me but of course a negative aspect. The easy way is the automatic hybrid way, that was and is my conclusion for wintertime.
Never the less, as a trial, I wanted to drive in the EV mode to my Golfcourse which is exactly 52 km vv.( the max range)
When you touch the start/stop button, the engine starts at once if the temperature request is higher than actual and you do not want that to happen!
Then you switch on the EV button and it warns you that this is not supported. You have to long-press the 'shortcut heater switch' first in order to cut off the Heater. Then the EV mode is possible and the engine cuts off and away you go.... Whow, what a clumsy procedure!
The only way to avoid the engine to start up first is to switch off the Heater system before shutting down the previous time....
AC cooling is available in EV though.

I must say I precisely made it back to my home with 1km remaining, so that is good news on a day with approximately 10 *C and seat heating. A exhaust free Golf ride in the future!
Cheers from Holland and stay healthy

Last edited:
Thanks for the update - I think Miles in his video review of the car also found it irritating not having heating without engine engaged - maybe a software fix.

Thanks for the update - I think Miles in his video review of the car also found it irritating not having heating without engine engaged - maybe a software fix.
A software fix to have heating will not be possible as it is a hardware issue. There is no electrical heating fitted. A software update for better access to EV driving would be very welcome!

I was thinking more of changing the rules that currently prevent electric mode - you wouldn’t have any heating but the start up and move off might be easier?

866D832E-25DC-4B3A-8DA7-678DBAAC1D67.jpeg
BA1D5F75-4F32-40D2-9C1C-D95CC278E3EF.jpeg
View attachment 2693
BA1D5F75-4F32-40D2-9C1C-D95CC278E3EF.jpeg
View attachment 2693
Hi Jem,
I think you read my thread ‘Fueling or Freezing’
First, the seat heating has only one setting, on or off. This means that you have to switch it off and on because it will get to hot in most cases unfortunately. I will put that on my personal software wish list as well.
No steering wheel heating on board.
I found out that the air conditioning cooling system is also connected to the motor. In the EV mode the heater has to be off. A short cut switch, without finding the heater screen is available. There is no ventilation possible when your temperature request is higher than actual in this EV mode. Last week we had warm days here and the cooling button on the screen makes the full cooling and the blower system available.
I did not try this in cold circumstances, in fact selecting a very low temp. No idea if a minimum temp exists. I will try this out today.

OK, paid a visit to my dentist just now and driving in a snowstorm with 0 degr outside air temp! I could select airco with blowers on.
Lowest selectable temp is 16 followed by LO. Selecting LO enables airco selection without losing the EV mode.
Some pics attached. You can see that on the top of the screen Auto is off and Airco on with selection LO. On the other one defrosting is selected.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom