Front and rear dash cams

Johncc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone fitted a rear camera as well as a front?
Halfords are doing a great deal with their own brand dash cam package at the moment but I am a bit concerned with issues with buyers in other vehicles getting interference with the rear cam and DAB radio.
Evidently this can occur with the Nextbase rear cam as well.
Due to a curious pricing policy it's cheaper to have the front and rear Halfords camera installed than just the front!
The Halfords does not have the bells and whistles of the nextbase unit but I don't need Alexa connection or a screen (which I find a distraction).

I bought the halfords HDC200 front facing only...off their website and had them to hard wire it as don't fancy the 12 volt method - great job - wee problem you can link it to your phone and do all sorts but being a numpty I'll have to go back and get someone to clue me in ...BTW its a good quality piece of kit for the price

Hi, has anyone fitted a rear camera as well as a front?
Halfords are doing a great deal with their own brand dash cam package at the moment but I am a bit concerned with issues with buyers in other vehicles getting interference with the rear cam and DAB radio.
Evidently this can occur with the Nextbase rear cam as well.
Due to a curious pricing policy it's cheaper to have the front and rear Halfords camera installed than just the front!
The Halfords does not have the bells and whistles of the nextbase unit but I don't need Alexa connection or a screen (which I find a distraction).
Hi John
I'm not saying which one you should buy or who should fit them. I have only used cheap ones from eBay, around £10 - £12. I fitted them myself quite easily and worked just as well as my daughters Nextbase, in many cars over the years. However on my Land Rover Evoques I decided to fit one on the rear window.
The result was quite interesting, the Dab radio reception would did not work well and in some areas was weak or nothing, this confused the hell out of the service department with home test drives, resulting in the service dept taking the spoiler off etc, they were going to change the spoiler which incorporates the shark fin aerial and ordered a new one. THEN, a technician saw that when the tailgate was up all was okay.

I had secured the camera the dog guard with the power lead threaded through the mesh from the C pillar to the camera, effectively making a broad interference to the roof aerial which was just above with the tail gate was closed. I managed to reduce interference by using a small plastic tube for the power lead across the metal dog guard so worked fairly well.
On my Discovery I stuck it to the rear window but this again interfered a bit with the radio so I lowered it to the bottom of the window further away from the roof, then the dog used to knock it off, eventually I gave that one up.
A friend of mine had the same problem on the rear as their aerial was incorporated into the rear demister.
If you can get it working its great idea for a rear view camera and don't see why manufactures can't incorporate dash cams into the front and rear cameras where they are fitted. You can get a little discount off your insurance with most insurers with a dash cam fitted. But be aware if you say you have a dash cam it needs to be on when you have a claim, if not they may reduce the claim or walk away.

I guess you need to protect/insulate the power lead if there is interference. There is a video on here I think from Mike Procter somewhere of how to fit a dash came and using a piggy back fuse fitting, There are number of others on You Tube. Just tuck it along the A pillar or roof lining no need to remove much,

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom