• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Front passenger door, inside handle fault

Podge2207

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My 3 week old MG5 Trophy has what appears to be an intermittent fault with the front passenger inside door handle. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't! I have it booked in at the supplying dealer. I just wondered if anyone else had similar issues? It's sod's law that'll work fine when it goes in....
Here's the bizarre thing, it seems to work normally if the motor is turned off and the driver door unlocked and opened before an attempt is made to open the passenger door (from the inside!). Is this a weird safety feature I've missed? Or, is the door handle toast?

There was a batch of MG ZS EVs that came in at the end of last year that had passenger doors that wouldn't open from the inside. I understand that some new MG5s also had this problem. It was fixed by replacing the door latches. There was quite a wait for replacement latches (I had to wait nearly 4 months!), however the door latch supply seems to be fine now as dealers seem to have plenty in stock so should be a simple warranty job. The problem wasn't intermittent though. Is the door autolocking and just needs a double pull to open?

Thanks for that - hope it is a quick fix. No it's not the auto locking, a double pull doesn't make any difference.

My 3 week old MG5 Trophy has what appears to be an intermittent fault with the front passenger inside door handle. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't! I have it booked in at the supplying dealer. I just wondered if anyone else had similar issues? It's sod's law that'll work fine when it goes in....
Here's the bizarre thing, it seems to work normally if the motor is turned off and the driver door unlocked and opened before an attempt is made to open the passenger door (from the inside!). Is this a weird safety feature I've missed? Or, is the door handle toast?
As mentioned there a batch of faulty door latches. Had mine replaced under warranty. Many reports of this. :)

Silly to say as I'm sure you know but as you didn't mention it, if the doors are locked it requires a double pull, first to unlock second to open.

I was locked myself inside my ZS many times on front passenger side seat. Eventually I realized that double pull of the handle needs to be performed quicker. It does not open door reliably by pull, wait for two seconds and pull again.

I had the same issue with my ZS EV. The dealer changed the handle for me. The issue was intermittent but had been documented by MG. Try and replicate the full process you go through when speaking to dealer. I had to do this as when I originally took my car in, as the door had been opened that morning, it worked.

I was locked myself inside my ZS many times on front passenger side seat. Eventually I realized that double pull of the handle needs to be performed quicker. It does not open door reliably by pull, wait for two seconds and pull again.
Or you can ask the driver to get in the habit of pressing the unlock button near his own door handle, which I'm still failing to do after over 15 months of ownership :) But I think three of those months had passed before I even thought to look for a manual unlock!

Or you can ask the driver to get in the habit of pressing the unlock button near his own door handle, which I'm still failing to do after over 15 months of ownership :) But I think three of those months had passed before I even thought to look for a manual unlock!
I have auto lock switched off.

Wasn't talking to you :) :)

However surely the unlock button in the driver door is just for central locking rather than anything to do with auto locking?
Sorry, thought you were as it was my post you had responded too.

I wasn't aware that was possible, please do tell how.
Go to second menu screen, select Vehicle, then select Convenience, then select Door Lock. From this screen you can choose Auto door-lock and Unlock on Power off. I have both switched off.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 63
Go to second menu screen, select Vehicle, then select Convenience, then select Door Lock. From this screen you can choose Auto door-lock and Unlock on Power off. I have both switched off.
Thank you I'm sure that will be of use to facelift owners, especially the taxi drivers, but unfortunately I'm pre FL.

I have that issue to. Temporary fix tip
Pul the handle from inside 2 times very fast and it will work until You close the car using central locking

I have that issue to. Temporary fix tip
Pul the handle from inside 2 times very fast and it will work until You close the car using central locking
That is normal, although no need to do it fast ,when the car the car is locked. First pull to unlock, second to open. From the manual

1686557737187.png

Did I said it's on all doors? It's not normal if U have to do it only to one particular door.
If the door needs more than a couple of pulls to open, I would guess there is an issue and refer to the dealer. This is a safety concern if a passenger cannot open the door easily.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom