• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Frunk heat

Jomarkh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I found a multistorey car park with 4 free Pod point chargers, so removed the type2 cable from the frunk and connected up while we went through the town to an art exhibition followed by lunch and walk along the sea front. On returning to the car 6 hours later I stopped the charge unhooked the cable and went to put it back in the frunk but found that the 'engine' bay cover was very warm.
I normally charge overnight on my 5p Go tariff so have never noticed this heat before and othe 7.5kwh charge sessions have only been a couple of hours.
I was just a bit concerned about the heat generated from the on board charger as I was thinking of putting a plastic box under the bonnet like others have done.
Has anyone had this type of heat being generated?

I found a multistorey car park with 4 free Pod point chargers, so removed the type2 cable from the frunk and connected up while we went through the town to an art exhibition followed by lunch and walk along the sea front. On returning to the car 6 hours later I stopped the charge unhooked the cable and went to put it back in the frunk but found that the 'engine' bay cover was very warm.
I normally charge overnight on my 5p Go tariff so have never noticed this heat before and othe 7.5kwh charge sessions have only been a couple of hours.
I was just a bit concerned about the heat generated from the on board charger as I was thinking of putting a plastic box under the bonnet like others have done.
You've got a frunk?

Confused dot com…“removed the type2 cable from the frunk” “went to put it back in the frunk but found that the 'engine' bay cover was very warm.”…the MG5 doesn’t have a frunk so where did you get your cable from and were going to put it back?…I thought most owners use the boot, as there isn’t a frunk…
You say later you are thinking of putting a plastic box under the bonnet like others have done…so if you haven’t already done that there is no room under the bonnet for a cable…hence my confusion 🤔 or am I just being thick…?

IMG_20211107_085819.jpg

Sorry a picture would have helped.
I keep my cable and 10mm spanner on the bay cover😂
IMG_20211107_085828.jpg

Spanner is to remove one of the battery terminals if the car locks up after being on a rapid too long. There are various threads about it. It has not happened to me👍

I've never inspected this because I also only do long charges overnight.
It makes complete sense that it would get at least warm because the converter is just below the cover.

If you guys look for the Youtube channel EV James and Kate you'll see how he has made a frunk with a plastic box as Jomarkh has described.
It would be interesting to see if he has experienced the heat under the bonnet and if it's affected the box.

Spanner is to remove one of the battery terminals if the car locks up after being on a rapid too long. There are various threads about it. It has not happened to me

It's the onboard charger. It's completely normal and won't exceed 35 degrees C. That's most of your charging losses.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom